Snap Ring Horror!

OK, Im feeling I am close to my Dream, Finally owning a NSX! :biggrin:

Opinions on 91' Vs. 93'...Question is the Snap Ring. A lot of sellers say not in snap ring range. Should I play it safe and go for a 93' Model and not worry so much about the snap ring or go for a 91'-92' Model?

I like a Stock OEM NSX, so I wouldn't wan't to do serious work in the future.

Im planning to be buried with my NSX as my coffin.

:biggrin:

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with 91'-92' NSX models, especially with the Snap Ring?

OK, Im feeling I am close to my Dream, Finally owning a NSX! :biggrin:

Opinions on 91' Vs. 93'...Question is the Snap Ring. A lot of sellers say not in snap ring range. Should I play it safe and go for a 93' Model and not worry so much about the snap ring or go for a 91'-92' Model?

I like a Stock OEM NSX, so I wouldn't wan't to do serious work in the future.

Im planning to be buried with my NSX as my coffin.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with 91'-92' NSX models, especially with the Snap Ring?

there are a few differences in the 93 as opposed to the 91 that made me get a 93 instead on top of not having to worry about the Snap Ring...

NSXPrime FAQ said:
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Changes for 1993<!--mstheme-->

<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]<!--msthemelist--><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <!--msthemelist--><tbody><tr><td valign="baseline" width="42">
indbul1d.gif
</td><td valign="top" width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Added cup holder to center console; console cover got two separate openings.<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></td></tr> <!--msthemelist--><tr><td valign="baseline" width="42">
indbul1d.gif
</td><td valign="top" width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Added Passenger Side Air Bag<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></td></tr> <!--msthemelist--><tr><td valign="baseline" width="42">
indbul1d.gif
</td><td valign="top" width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Changed Rear Alignment to 2mm less toe-in to improve tire wear<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></td></tr> <!--msthemelist--><tr><td valign="baseline" width="42">
indbul1d.gif
</td><td valign="top" width="100%"><!--mstheme-->As a result of passenger air bag, drastically reduced size of glove box.<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></td></tr> <!--msthemelist--><tr><td valign="baseline" width="42">
indbul1d.gif
</td><td valign="top" width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Reconfigured center console (gives you the illusion you have more space but not really).<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></td></tr> <!--msthemelist--><tr><td valign="baseline" width="42">
indbul1d.gif
</td><td valign="top" width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Improved warranty coverage from three years or 36,000 miles to four years or 45,000 miles(not like this applies anymore anyway)<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></td></tr> <!--msthemelist--><tr><td valign="baseline" width="42">
indbul1d.gif
</td><td valign="top" width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Switched A/C system from CFC-based R12 to ozone-friendly R134A</td></tr></tbody></table>

Wow, dramatic thread title - the snap ring issue isn't really a horror. Like all things mechanical, it has a fix should you encounter a need for a fix.

Do a search on snap ring and you will find lots and lots of good advice on thoughts re the snap ring.

Good luck and hopefully you find the right car soon. :smile:

NSXprime has the range of transmission codes that will tell you if the car is within range or not. Simply look at the # on the transmission and see if it's in "snap ring range" then go from there.

That's how I checked my '91 before I bought it.

I00k 0n the bright side, a snap ring pr0b is a g00d excuse t0 upgrade t0 JDM sh0rt gears, NSX-R finaI gear, 0r 6speed

Funny you should mention that. The previous owner of the NSX I had did exactly that on my 92. Waited until the snap ring broke, took it in for the new transmission case and had the short gears and NSX-R 4.235 R&P installed. Kind of worked out well for me:tongue:

I agree with comments above. I wouldn't let the snap-ring deter getting a '91-92. It's easy to check the tranny serial number before the purchase and negotiate the fix into the purchase price. Don't take the seller's word that it's not in range or even the PPI if they say it was checked by the VIN #. That happened to me. My PPI NSX tech. checked my VIN and said I wasn't in range. Two years later my snap ring broke and the dealer bought me a new tranny for their mistake. Now I have type R gears and final drive.

Here was my horror:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58078

Last edited:
It's worth pointing out that about 80 percent of the '91 cars were not in the snap ring range.

However, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car in the snap ring range that had not had the problem corrected. I would just pay about $1500 less for such a car than I would for a similar car not affected (or repaired). And I would just drive the thing without worries. I would also make sure I'm familiar with the symptoms of a snap ring failure (loose shift knob, etc). If and when the snap ring failed, I would park it (immediately) and have it fixed (have the upper transmission case and snap ring replaced) at that time. If it didn't fail, I would have it fixed the next time I need transmission work (clutch replacement, gear modification, etc).

It's worth pointing out that about 80 percent of the '91 cars were not in the snap ring range.

2,436 trannies (following sequential tranny serial numbers in the range) were potentially affected of 3,017 manual NSX's made in 1991 and '92. That's 81% of the cars being potentially affected.

2,436 trannies (following sequential tranny serial numbers in the range) were potentially affected of 3,017 manual NSX's made in 1991 and '92. That's 81% of the cars being potentially affected.
Nope. It sounds like you're confusing U.S. sales figures with worldwide manufacturing/sales figures (and additionally, your math is off by 1000).

During the first two model years of manufacture, 4,017 manual-transmission cars were sold in the U.S. (2886 for '91, 1131 for '92), and roughly an equal number were sold in the rest of the world. So that's over 8,000 five-speed cars worldwide, across which the 2,436 transmissions in the snap ring range were installed.

However, the transmissions installed throughout most of the '91 model year, starting from the beginning, were not affected at all, including the 3,541 transmissions with ID numbers below the snap ring range. They didn't start showing up in U.S. cars until late in the model year, around VIN number MT002500. VINs assigned to U.S. cars for '91 included both manual and automatic cars, and went up to MT003221. Thus approximately 80 percent of '91 cars were built before the snap ring range transmissions started appearing.

I'm not sure of the percentage of '92 five-speed cars that are in the snap ring range, but I know it's most of them.

Nope. It sounds like you're confusing U.S. sales figures with worldwide manufacturing/sales figures (and additionally, your math is off by 1000).

During the first two model years of manufacture, 4,017 manual-transmission cars were sold in the U.S. (2886 for '91, 1131 for '92), and roughly an equal number were sold in the rest of the world. So that's over 8,000 five-speed cars worldwide, across which the 2,436 transmissions in the snap ring range were installed.

However, the transmissions installed throughout most of the '91 model year, starting from the beginning, were not affected at all, including the 3,541 transmissions with ID numbers below the snap ring range. They didn't start showing up in U.S. cars until late in the model year, around VIN number MT002500. VINs assigned to U.S. cars for '91 included both manual and automatic cars, and went up to MT003221. Thus approximately 80 percent of '91 cars were built before the snap ring range transmissions started appearing.

I'm not sure of the percentage of '92 five-speed cars that are in the snap ring range, but I know it's most of them.

Ken, you da man! Ever thought of going on Jeopardy?:biggrin:
81% vs 30%ish. So, I was off by 50% :redface: I always wondered why they didn't have a recall on snap-ring trannies with so many affected. It makes more since now.

Even if you have to replace the trans case due to the faulty snap ring, the cost is about the same as replacing the timing belt and water pump, which is part of the routine maintenance.

Would you NOT buy the car because of the TB and WP?

So what is the big deal?

TB and WP compared to Snap Ring and Trans Case, is completely different.

You can't get around the TB and WP due to routine maintenence, but you can avoid the snap ring problem.

I can smell my NSX coming soon.

I agree with comments above. I wouldn't let the snap-ring deter getting a '91-92. It's easy to check the tranny serial number before the purchase and negotiate the fix into the purchase price. Don't take the seller's word that it's not in range or even the PPI if they say it was checked by the VIN #. That happened to me. My PPI NSX tech. checked my VIN and said I wasn't in range. Two years later my snap ring broke and the dealer bought me a new tranny for their mistake. Now I have type R gears and final drive.

Here was my horror:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58078

I like this story the best!

All the input is great fellas! Keep up the good Work!

My wallet certainly doesn’t agree with you :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about that.

As Ken mentioned earlier, when buying a snap ring tranny NSX, be sure to negotiate $1.5-$2K off of the price (well, that is unless the seller already priced it for the snap ring issue) to help cover the potential repair cost.

just because the tran. # falls in the range, it does not mean that it will break.

I read some posts that the snap ring broke in trans. that was not in the range.

if $1.5 to $2k is a major issue in buying the NSX, then you probably will not be happy with the cost of maintenance down the road.

Why? This is very reliable car we thought. What's special about maintenance?
Certain maintenance services are significantly more expensive than on other cars. This includes the replacement of the timing belt and water pump ($1200-1600) every 6-7 years, the replacement of the clutch ($2000-2500 for the five-speed, $3200-4000 for the six-speed), etc. And many clutches last only 40-60K miles, which is less than on many other cars.

I have a 92' snap ring xmsn with 23,600 mi. and according to the reasearch and more importantly, Larry Bastanza, not all of the snap ring xmsns were effected. The ones that were cut with a new bit were within specs. It was after they cut ??, they don't know how many, they would come out of specs. They would then change cutting bits, not knowing they were coming out of specs, which would put them back into specs and then continue on until the cycle would repeat until many out of spec ones were installed and delivered and the problem finally raised its head in the field. Larry has a 91' in the range and says he drives it fairly aggresively and to this date no problems. He probably has one that was cut with a new bit.
My question is; Acura knows they are out there and it's there fault from manufacturing, why won't they warranty them? To much cost to them doesn't get it! To old, Wrong! They know they are bad and it's there fault! We put faith in these cars for a reason, warranty and reliability are two of them.
Cheers
nigel

What's xmsn? Is that that new Microsoft video game? :p

And that issue (whether the snap ring should be warranted for fifteen-year-old cars) has been discussed here ad nauseum. Enough!

Sorry, in the helicopter world xmsn is short for transmission. I won't let happen again. As for warranty bitching, I thought I would try one last time.

Sorry, in the helicopter world xmsn is short for transmission. I won't let happen again. As for warranty bitching, I thought I would try one last time.

I gave it a try I called Acura.They fed be some BS but it was worth a try:tongue:

Back