Snap Ring Costs?

K i just got approved to b financed to buy a NSX.....but theres a high possiblity that it may be in the range. So id like to know what the costs would be to repair it, before i jump to conclusions on prchasing it. Id probubly b purchasing a 6 speed from SoS, and i know i need the snap ring and a new case. So id like to kno the costs of these items and if possile a place i could source the items from. I have looked in the search function but i havent got any exact answers or numbers. Your help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Snap Ring Costs?????

Cal your local acura dealer, or give SOS a call, they may have one laying around. As for the 6 spd, i'm not sure, but i know that a 5 will run you 1500-2000 bucks....if you look through the previous for sale posts you may find a benchmark of what 5-6 spd trannys go for....

Just keep in mind that the FAQ pricing quotes are getting a little "long in the tooth":). Acura parts have gone up since then and as an example the list price of the parts has gone from $700 to over $900. I just did one two weeks ago, had not done one in a while, and was informed of the pricing change.

HTH,
LarryB

MiKEdaG0D said:
K i just got approved to b financed to buy a NSX.....but theres a high possiblity that it may be in the range....... QUOTE]

You should determine this need for sure just in case it can be used as a negotiating tool in the price of the vehicle.

There is also the possibility that while the car is in snap ring range, it could have already been repaired. Is there a way to know if the repair has been done before opening up the tranny?

Good point. I am looking for an NSX. When purchasing your car and when you are told it is in the snap ring range and it has been fixed, or it is not in the snap ring range....

Should you get the seller to put that in writing??

Otherwise....how do you really know?

Blind trust could be costly in this case

kmrumedy said:
Good point. I am looking for an NSX. When purchasing your car and when you are told it is in the snap ring range and it has been fixed, or it is not in the snap ring range....

Blind trust could be costly in this case

You could get the service records from Acura.

Is there a way to know if the repair has been done before opening up the tranny?

The cases are marked differently....I can't remember, but I think a replaced case should be marked by hand and have a totally different sequential number than a factory assembled one.

In any event: I really wouldn't worry about it....the cost really is negligible (~$2K) and I believe it only affected about in 1 in every 25 cars within range...about 4% chance.

Drew

MiKEdaG0D said:
K i just got approved to b financed to buy a NSX.....but theres a high possiblity that it may be in the range. So id like to know what the costs would be to repair it, before i jump to conclusions on prchasing it. Id probubly b purchasing a 6 speed from SoS, and i know i need the snap ring and a new case. So id like to kno the costs of these items and if possile a place i could source the items from. I have looked in the search function but i havent got any exact answers or numbers. Your help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Wow, your post is difficult to read, with all those individual letters thrown in. It will help you to be understood if you type your posts in English. :rolleyes:

I don't understand this sentence: Id probubly b purchasing a 6 speed from SoS, and i know i need the snap ring and a new case. If you get a six-speed, then why do you need the snap ring and new case? The six-speeds don't have the snap ring problem. :confused:

Also, if I bought a car in the snap ring range, I would not replace the snap ring and case until either (a) it started to show symptoms of snap ring failure (loose feel in the shifter), or (b) I needed other transmission work anyway. Till then, I would just drive it and enjoy it (while being alert for any symptoms of failure). However, if and when it showed symptoms, I would have it repaired immediately.

JAYS NSX said:
There is also the possibility that while the car is in snap ring range, it could have already been repaired. Is there a way to know if the repair has been done before opening up the tranny?
You won't know, even if you open up the tranny. The only way to be sure is if you have a receipt from when the work was performed.

Of course, if you're going to spend the 8-16 hours to R&R the tranny, then you may as well replace the snap ring and case at that time, if you're not sure that they have ever been replaced.

kmrumedy said:

Even if it's in writing, it's not clear what that would accomplish if it hadn't been done (for example, if the seller was mistaken). The only way to really know is if there is a receipt from when the work was performed.

clr1024 said:
The only service records maintained by Acura corporate are for warranty claims and recall work. If it was repaired and paid for, they will not have records of the work. However, if you know which individual dealer did the work, that dealer should have records of the work.

drew said:
The cases are marked differently....I can't remember, but I think a replaced case should be marked by hand and have a totally different sequential number than a factory assembled one.
Nope. The transmission serial number is on the lower transmission case. The part that needs to be replaced to prevent a snap ring failure is the upper transmission case.

drew said:
In any event: I really wouldn't worry about it....the cost really is negligible (~$2K)
I agree (see above), other than being aware of the symptoms of failure so that you can park the car. If you keep driving it after the snap ring fails, you could need to replace the entire transmission at a far higher cost.

Also, that $2K figure may be a bit low these days, even for replacing the ring and case. As Larry B mentioned, the parts are now $900 and you're probably looking at ~12 hours of labor. If you get away for only $2K, you got a bargain.

drew said:
I believe it only affected about in 1 in every 25 cars within range...about 4% chance.
I don't believe the actual frequency of repair has ever been determined by anyone outside of American Honda (or revealed by anyone inside of American Honda). For all anyone knows, it could be 4 percent, or 40 percent...

Larry Bastanza said:
Just keep in mind that the FAQ pricing quotes are getting a little "long in the tooth":). Acura parts have gone up since then and as an example the list price of the parts has gone from $700 to over $900. I just did one two weeks ago, had not done one in a while, and was informed of the pricing change.

HTH,
LarryB

Hey Larry, Is it possible to measure the housing to see if it is within specs for transmissions that fall in the snap range?

drew said:
In any event: I really wouldn't worry about it....the cost really is negligible (~$2K) Drew

Hey Drew,

Since the $2000 cost is negligible, do you think you could let me have it so I could pick up this nice watch I have my eye on? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Since the $2000 cost is negligible, do you think you could let me have it so I could pick up this nice watch I have my eye on?

My point is the cost of the risk is negligible at 25:1 odds*, which is my back of the envelope calculation for the actual occurrence of the snap-ring failure.

It would be easy enough to do a Order Statistic (random sample from a continuous distribution) since we do have known VINs of some of the failures and, I believe, that the NSX production was sequential. Therefore, an extremely accurate estimate can be made of the cars that can be expected to suffer from a failure....especially with a 15 year historical record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_statistic

Anybody in stat class right now? Somebody should have a stat package already set up for this, very common business application.

Drew
*So yeah: you're on for the watch if you want to play those odds.
**it has been a long time since stats for me, but I fairly certain that Order Stats is what will give the best answer.

drew said:
It would be easy enough to do a Order Statistic (random sample from a continuous distribution) since we do have known VINs of some of the failures and, I believe, that the NSX production was sequential. Therefore, an extremely accurate estimate can be made of the cars that can be expected to suffer from a failure....especially with a 15 year historical record.
Not true, for a couple of reasons:

1. NSX vehicle production was not sequential by VIN. It was within each market, but not overall. For example, VIN MT002700 came before MT002701, but you don't know how many cars for the Canadian, European, or Asian markets might have been built in between the two.

2. NSX transmission production was sequential by transmission ID, but the transmissions were not installed in transmission number order. The transmission IDs of consecutively-built NSXs on the assembly line might be 0003701, 0003725, 0003698, 0003712, etc.

Again, there is no way that anyone knows whether the odds are 0.4 percent or 4 percent or 40 percent.

But the facts are, some transmissions may fail (at any mileage), while others may never fail (because some of the transmission cases within the range are okay). It's easy to "play the odds" by (a) not swapping the tranny case and ring, and simply being alert to the symptoms so that you don't keep driving it if the ring fails; (b) replacing the ring and case if/when you need other transmission work done, so the only extra cost is for the parts; or (c) replacing them anyway, for your own peace of mind. Your choice...

clr1024 said:

Service records are not "national", so you would need to know the repairing dealer and ask for their records. Remember this was NOT a recall:).

HTH,
LarryB

nis350 said:
Hey Larry, Is it possible to measure the housing to see if it is within specs for transmissions that fall in the snap range?

Not really. I actually made a jig a few years ago to try to measure excessive end play in the counter shaft to try to see if it was groove width that caused these to break(that is what I thought was the issue). Subsequently, I learned there was a chamfer cut into the edge of the groove, and the depth of the chamfer was the issue(too deep). This is not really measurable with the trans assembled, and I had no reference to call a case good or bad, so I aborted my work in this area. The bottom line is to check this out, the trans must be removed and torndown, so if you get there, just fix it per the Acura service bulletin:).

HTH,
LarryB

Is the 12 hours labor in addition to the clutch work?

If not, how many additional hours just to replace the case while replacing the clutch?

Larry Bastanza said:
The bottom line is to check this out, the trans must be removed and torndown, so if you get there, just fix it per the Acura service bulletin:).
Ummm... If you're opening up the transmission, then just replace the snap ring and the upper transmission case. (The Acura service bulletin tells you to replace the entire transmission, which isn't necessary.)

nis350 said:
Is the 12 hours labor in addition to the clutch work?
No.

nis350 said:
If not, how many additional hours just to replace the case while replacing the clutch?
...Larry?

Has anyone with '93+ NSX, had any problems with the Snap Ring?

The member that originally posted said that he was looking at a 6 Speed. I thought the snap ring problem was for the '91 - '92 models?

:smile:

NimbleSexyXquisite said:
Has anyone with '93+ NSX, had any problems with the Snap Ring?

The member that originally posted said that he was looking at a 6 Speed. I thought the snap ring problem was for the '91 - '92 models?

:smile:

I belive he is refering to doing a upgrade to a 6 speed if he does have to do the tranny fix.

Larry Bastanza said:
. I just did one two weeks ago, had not done one in a while, and was informed of the pricing change.

HTH,
LarryB

So.........Larry you seem to be the man in the spotlight again. What would you bid a job to fix the "Snap Ring Problem" as we are talking about here, kind of like the one that you did two weeks ago. I think that this would answer a lot of questions........since you are indeed "THE NSX ANSWER MAN" LOL

Thanks for all of your help,
Brad

Back