Smallest / Cheapest Mini DV Camcorder

What is the smallest and lowest cost Mini DV Camcorder on the market?

Thanks in advance for your replies! :D

Seeing your 6Mpixel camera, I'm not sure what you mean by low cost. To me, $500 is, but $1k may be cheap for you.

A friend of mine just bought a Canon Elura 50 for around $5xx online. It is small. Reviews were stating that the picture quality is a compromise when shooting at night though.

CNet review

I picked a slightly bigger one, the Canon Optura 20, for around $600.

CNet review on Optura 20

Yes - a little vague. Mainly looking for small to tiny. Price is a factor but what is cheap/expensive depends on the features. Need something more with an image stabilization more than night shooting.

ss_md said:
Yes - a little vague. Mainly looking for small to tiny. Price is a factor but what is cheap/expensive depends on the features. Need something more with an image stabilization more than night shooting.

most come with image stabilization ... if your also concerned with the image quality get one with a good size lens on it. They make alot of junk now that are dv.... but any of the better brand name cams should do just fine. If you wanna spend some money go with a dv cam that has 3 ccd's as opposed to one.

what emphasis you do place on the following criteria?

* Cost (what's your max price)
* Size (does it have to fit in a pocket or something?)
* Image Quality (As the pilot pointed out, 3ccd's is DRAMATICALLY better than 1ccd ... esp. for night shooting as you've stated, but it costs significantly more)
* Chick-Magnet! (In this case, get any Sony. :p )

What's the chief criteria... if it's size, then you might consider a Micro-MV - <I>VERY</I> small but lower image quality + not as easy to encode to a DVD (if that's a factor).

I've wondered this as well. I'd like to find a 'smallish' unit to mount to my rollbar for track vidoes.
Being 'ig-nant' on the latest DV stuff, and looking at under $750 can someone make a few recommendations?

Scott

I have a Sony DCR-PC110 mini DV. It is those palm type similar to the Canon ones mentioned above. It uses a Carl Zeiss lens and I think it is a 10X optical zoom with 120X digital (Digital zoom is useless though). It also takes still pictures in 640X400 (Could be 680, whatever that small standard pixal size is) to Sony's memory stick. You can also capture frames of video and record them to stills to the memory stick The quality on that is email quality at best but still 10X better than any phone type camera. It has a pop up built in flash for still pictures, and also has mini USB and other conventional composite outputs as well as the mini firewire output. It does have the steady shot and night shot as well. Pretty much loaded with everything other comparable camcorders in its price range. I bought it last year for about $1200.

Here is an ebay link that has pictures and a description.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2977133924&category=20333

Scott,
Just go to your local Costco and buy what fits your needs. When you want a new one, or tire of it, just return it for full price(keep the receipt or you are screwed). My wife works there and their return policy is pretty much forever, except computers, which are 6 mos. now. Her nickname for the returns department is "The Dump".
Take care,
John ;)

ANYTIME said:
Scott,
Just go to your local Costco and buy what fits your needs. When you want a new one, or tire of it, just return it for full price(keep the receipt or you are screwed). My wife works there and their return policy is pretty much forever, except computers, which are 6 mos. now. Her nickname for the returns department is "The Dump".
Take care,
John ;)

You folks that live in the city have all the luck. I'm 50 miles from the nearest Wal-mart. Never even seen a Costco this side of Pittsburgh. :)

Thanks for the tip!

Scot

ANYTIME said:
Scott,
Take care,
John ;)

Wow, I didn't know Costco's return policy was so generous:) I think I'll be buying from Costco more often now. And not only large food items and DVDs:D

Last edited:
ChrisK said:
Wow, I didn't know Costco's return policy was so generous:) I think I'll be buying from Costco more often now. And not only large food items and DSVDs:D
Neither did I guess I'll take a look there. John Thanks :D

Sony

Last July I purchased Sony camcorder model 105 for around $1000. It is a piece of junk. It failed after 5 weeks of use and it took Sony another 5 weeks to try fixing it. In the end after my patience run out, they decided to supply me with a new one. I am so disappionted with Sony and will probably not buy ther products in the future. Before I had Canon hi8 camcorder and it was the best one ever. Took it to Mexico, Europe, and basically abused it as much as possible. "it took on beating and kept on ticking". I still have it and guess what it still works. Its optical zoom of 22x is twice what today's camcorders offer and quality is no so bad. My 2 c - - - get the Canon, forget Sony it's not what it used to be.
:)

Scott, if you are looking for something really small, check out what Panasonic is coming out.

0,3363,sz=1&i=53810,00.gif

PC Mag news

:mad: - I knew I should have attended CES this year! Chris - thanks for the info.

Back