Smaller width tires in snow???

I think I read it on the thread with the NSX on the snowy track (in Switzerland I believe) about how it is better to use a more skinny tire in the snow, is that correct? It's been in the back of my mind the past few days and I was wondering whether or not I'm correct and if so, why is it better??:confused: Thanks.

Conor

Yes, thinner tires work much better in the snow. The reason is simple, they cut deeper into the snow and concentrate more weight into a smaller area giving better traction. It is the opposite of and where you want wider tires.

Daveg27 said:
Yes, thinner tires work much better in the snow. The reason is simple, they cut deeper into the snow and concentrate more weight into a smaller area giving better traction.
Mostly correct. However, the size of the area of contact (the size of the "contact patch") is the same as with wider tires; but the shape is not. Since the shape is narrower, there is less snow to push aside.

On a '91-96 NSX, I think the '91-93 OEM tire sizes are great for winter tires, and you can get a used, beat up set of '91-93 OEM wheels for cheap...

Yep, you're right, it's the shape of the contact patch. A wider contact patch has to push down/aside much more snow than a thinner one.

Hi

I use snowtires on the OEM rims. I have not driven that much on snow, but it worked okey last weekend.

Read about it and see some pictures here

Regards

gheba_nsx said:
I can only say that my 275/19" are not ideal on the snow... :D :D :D Ask me how I know ;)

Username should be "Ballerina NSX" for you :D

Regards

If you do go with narrower tires, be aware that it changes the diameter (since the sidewall is a percentage of the width) so you should make sure that the fronts and backs maintain roughly the same relationship as OEM or you'll throw the ABS off.

Back