small rear port window is plastic?

While getting window tint for my NSX, I inquired into getting the small rear port window tinted. I used clear crystaline tint to reduce heat, so appearance is not so important to me versus heat & UV protection.

My tint guy said he looked into it, called Acura, and was told the rear port window is made of plastic (acrylic / polycarbonate or such type - wasn't exactly clear).

My tint guy advises against tinting plastic / acrylic parts based on hazing and other issues, so I left it alone.

I'm curious if anyone else has definitively confirmed if the small rear port window is plastic or glass. Not a big deal to me at all but am curious.

Interesting, my tint guy and I both contemplated doing the rear window (thinking it was glass) :eek: but decided against tint because of the engine bay heat. I am so glad we didn't move forward with it....JM2C..I could be wrong...:tongue:

According to the Acura Specs and features list under the "Exterior Features" portion it lists the window as acoustic glass. It lists Acoustic Glass Windshield, Acoustic Glass Side Windows, Acoustic Glass Rear Glass, and Acoustic Glass Engine Compartment Glass.

[h=4][/h]

Car arrives tomorrow, so I'm bumping this thread.

Plan to get the 4 side windows tinted next week.

Any consensus on what the rear cabin window is made of?

Can confirm that it is glass. Here is the spec sheet on the car.

NSX Glass.jpg

Also here are the glass stamps from the rear hatch glass

NSX Glass 3.jpg

and from the rear cabin glass

NSX Glass 2.jpg

To decipher these codes takes a bit of work, the top line obviously states NSX although typically this will just say Acura or the brand name of the car if it is Original Equipment glass. Carlex is the company that makes the OE glass for these two parts on the NSX. Interestingly, both the door windows and the small windows behind them are made by Pilkington while the windshield is made by AGC Automotive.

The Circle with "E11" means that the glass is also certified and distributed to Europe and the "CCC" means the part is certified and distributed to China as well.

DOT-22 is the number the Department of Transportation assigns to the manufacture of the glass, 22 is assigned to Guardian Industries Corp in Auburn Hills, Michigan. you can find a complete list of them here. http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db

The M30T2 and M95L2 numbers are the designated part numbers for those pieces of glass.

AS-2 is the American Standard and the numbers stands for the optical quality and strength of the glass. AS-1 is the glearest, is laminated and passes all safety tests and is the only glass allowed to be used in windshields. AS-2 is tempered, passes most impact tests but not all and can be used anywhere but the windshield, and AS-3 can be laminated or tempered and can only be used in certain locations on vehicles as it is tinted.

The "XI" code seen above the E with the circle denotes the type of glass, while I do not know exactly what the XI stands for I have seen it used in many other cars. If it was marked "IV" we would know it is plastic glass. Since it does not have that mark we at least know it is some sort of glass. I'm not sure what the remaining markings on the stamps mean.

Excellent info. Thank you.

Are most of you tinting just the side windows or the rear cabin window also? I wouldn't tint the rear hatch window, but maybe the rear cabin window. Otherwise I would imagine bright headlights blinding you at night while at stoplights. Although rear visibility isn't great to begin with. Hmm. Not sure what to do.

Excellent info. Thank you.

Are most of you tinting just the side windows or the rear cabin window also? I wouldn't tint the rear hatch window, but maybe the rear cabin window. Otherwise I would imagine bright headlights blinding you at night while at stoplights. Although rear visibility isn't great to begin with. Hmm. Not sure what to do.

Rear view mirror is auto dimming so being blinded from lights coming through the back glass isn't a concern. The side mirrors are not auto dimming so you will get some headlights blinding you from those and if I can remember correctly from my last trip in the car, bigger trucks that get behind you definitely will be blinding. I'm not sure if there is a way to somehow reduce or dim side mirrors that are not factory auto dimming mirrors.

I tinted the engine cover as I felt it really isn't that big of a deal to see the engine.

Back