• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Slight front tire gap

I have lowered my '91 with H&R coils. I am running Yokohama S-Drive 205/17-40 and 265/18-35 on XC-8 Work Emotion 17x 8.0 /18 x 9.5 wheels.

Back looks great- very flush to fender with no rubbing. However, up front there is a noticeable gap still between the bottom of the fender and the front tire.

I used to run 225's in the front but had a bit of rubbing and was a pain to turn without power steering. Still, the gap was there.

What are my options to close up this gap? How would I lower the front further to close this gap? Or is my front wheel size the issue?

Thanks,
Brandon

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Front tire size should be 215/40/17. This will fill out the gap a little better, since the 215/40/17 is both wider and taller.

Are you lowered? I can't see the pictures right now, so I'm assuming not...

I can see you linked pic, and image sac sure has some nice popups:rolleyes: Anyway if your car is on level ground It looks to me like the front is higher than it should be despite the shorter front 205.This leads me to wonder whether you mounted the springs opposite to thier intended location ie the rear springs are up front.Ocassionaly some shops have mounted the springs on the wrong perch if there are multiple positions.Lastly on new cars there are blocks that fit between the springs for shipment overseas,which some places forget to remove.

Yes- it was lowered with H&R coils by a local NSX shop. Even when I had the wider tires the gap was still very obvious.

Here are two better pics..

Front tire size should be 215/40/17. This will fill out the gap a little better, since the 215/40/17 is both wider and taller.

Are you lowered? I can't see the pictures right now, so I'm assuming not...

Sorry about the popups.. Im at work and for some reason the image loader isnt working for me.

I will check for the blocks and ask my mechanic if these could have been installed in reverse. Seems doubtful as it is Ramon from Niguel Motors who has a great reputation for NSX's in the SoCal area.

Thx

I can see you linked pic, and image sac sure has some nice popups:rolleyes: Anyway if your car is on level ground It looks to me like the front is higher than it should be despite the shorter front 205.This leads me to wonder whether you mounted the springs opposite to thier intended location ie the rear springs are up front.Ocassionaly some shops have mounted the springs on the wrong perch if there are multiple positions.Lastly on new cars there are blocks that fit between the springs for shipment overseas,which some places forget to remove.

hmmm maybe Ramon but a dead body in the trunk:eek:

yeah- it sure looks like something heavy is in the back.:confused:

I've decided to go with Megan Coilovers and some 215's.
Hopefully this will solve my front-up issue.

Will get them installed Fri and update.

hmmm maybe Ramon but a dead body in the trunk:eek:

It's a common thing for H&R springs to be higher in the front. You would have been better off with Eibachs or Tanabes and noticed an invert of the situation. Just leave the spare in the front and park with the nose pointing down instead of up (as in on a slope). This will help sag the front over time.

Your pics do show an abnormally high gap for being lowered in the front. I would check to see if you installed the front springs correctly.

Odd....I had HR springs with koni yellows for years and did not have a jacked up front,and I remember AK had the same setup at xpo 04 and his car was not asymetricly lowered like this car:confused:

UPDATE!

I got Megan Coilovers installed last Friday. What a difference!
Old OEM shocks and H&R coils removed.

I had them adjust the ride alignment to about a finger's space between top of tire and bottom of fender.

Handling.. much better. Old coils were very stiff and punishing (teeth chattering). Now I can feel each of the four corners adjusting to bumps and turns.

Visually.. stunning. The front of the car is quite noticeably lower and now has that angled look. Very much adds to the exotic look of the car.

I would highly recommend coilovers for anyone debating. Yes, there is more rubbing on the front spoiler, but that's why I go with the OEM version. I think I"m currently on my 4th.

Back