Ski location suggestion near NYC

Hello,

I'm going to NYC from 12/31 to 1/6 for vacation. I am planning on staying in the city for a few days and head out for skiing for a few days as well. I have picked out a few locations based on my research and recommendation from co-workers:

- Hunter Mountain in Hunter, NY
- Camelback in Tannersville, PA
- Montage (Poconos) in PA

I am planning on heading straight to the skiing location right after we arrived at Newark airport and return to the city on 1/3 morning. Which location would you suggest? OR if you have other locations you'd recommend? I'd love to stay within 150 miles from NYC.

At this point, I am incline to ski in Hunter, NY. Regarding lodging, where do you recommend for me to stay during those days? I'm thinking of Albany. I know it might be a little too far. Is there any decent hotels close to Hunter?

Thanks in advance :smile:

HI Bling,

I am with Zen 100%. Hunter is a much larger a resort and more diverse for sure. Tell us a little more about your situation. Will you have children, alone, couple??

There are a ton of resorts in the Hunter area also, Windham is great. There is also a local place called Plattekill. Not well advertized, but they count cars then close the parking lot:). Mostly local with "Most Difficult" terrain being the majority. If you want a good workout, this is the place:).

There is also Bellayre and Highmount. Ifyou have kids, Bellayre is great since you park mid-mountain. You can ski "down" for beginners, or go "up" for more advanced. Best place for confidence building for young ones, long, wide slopes with varying steepness throughout the runs.

There is plenty of lodging around, just need to know what you need.

Regards,
LarryB

racerx24 said:
Larry - you forgot about ice mountain I mean Mountain Creek. close to the city and once in a while isnt all ice.
the ice of the east!!!!
rocks,dirt,ice,snowguns, rocks...love it!!!

learned to ski @ great gorge... black diamond trail kamikazee!!!
thank you mrs lowenbach!!!

Thank you for all you input :wink:

Just to give you more info, my girlfriend is a novice skier and I was an intermediate one (haven't skied for 6-7 years though). We will be by ourselves. Bellayre sounds like a decent idea.

She is very picky with lodging...(women...:rolleyes: )...would prefer full-service hotel type stay. For me, a clean room with a bathroom is all I need...:tongue: Our budget is approximately <$150 per night.

Thanks again.

Ramada Inn - Route 28 (Exit 19) New York Thruway Kingston is at the gateway of the Catskill Mountains and is conveniently located in the heart of the Hudson Valley. Indoor, exercise facility & Chasser's Steak / Seafood Restaurant & Lounge. A short drive to major corporations, restaurants, malls, shopping areas, & recreation areas.
Check Availability or Make Reservation
Hunter: 40 min -- Windham: 52 min
Reservations 800-243-0379

This place is closer to Belleayre then Hunter. A Ramada might meet the GF's needs:). I would prefer a little more rustic myself, like getting wood to throw on the fireplace, but only if the decor has a nice Fuax finish;);) LOL..........

http://www.belleayre.com/
LODGING INFO: 800-431-4555 • SNOW PHONE: 800-942-6904

HTH,
LarryB

Since you're going for 3 days I'd recommend you drive a little further north and go to Killington in Vermont. It should be about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Newark Airport (270 miles) and in my opinion will be well worth it.

Compared to Killington, Hunter and the Pocono ski areas are pathetic little anthills. Hunter in particular has an obsession for making snow day and night. They have machines blowing snow down at you from lift towers and anywhere else they can put one. Never mind the fact that it is a small hill that gets ridiculously overcrowded.

Killington has the best novice slopes in the east and a ton of intermediate slopes as well. There is great lodging right on the mountain and the access road which by the way is famous for its nightlife. Check out http://www.killington.com/

Stratton and Mount Snow are also much better areas than Hunter, Belleayer, Poconos and are about an hour closer than Killington.

I was at Mt. Snow a couple of weekends ago for the first time and it doesn't compare to Killington and Stratton. Both, Killington and Stratton have long green trails but Stratton has wider trails for snowboarders. Those two are my choices for Northeast skiing.

Anywhere local to NYC is overcrowded, icy and the trails are short and limited. If you were considering staying in Albany, consider Vermont instead. Travel time will approximately be the same and you get the best ski conditions in the Northeast. As Hugh mentioned, Killington has live bands playing at the bars and restaurants and you can find lodging that fits your budget, all on the local strip . Not too sure about Stratton because I've always rented a house with friends and stayed in. Either way, you will not be disappointed at either of these two resorts.

JMO :biggrin:

Hugh said:
Since you're going for 3 days I'd recommend you drive a little further north and go to Killington in Vermont. It should be about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Newark Airport (270 miles) and in my opinion will be well worth it.

Compared to Killington, Hunter and the Pocono ski areas are pathetic little anthills. Hunter in particular has an obsession for making snow day and night. They have machines blowing snow down at you from lift towers and anywhere else they can put one. Never mind the fact that it is a small hill that gets ridiculously overcrowded.

Killington has the best novice slopes in the east and a ton of intermediate slopes as well. There is great lodging right on the mountain and the access road which by the way is famous for its nightlife. Check out http://www.killington.com/

Stratton and Mount Snow are also much better areas than Hunter, Belleayer, Poconos and are about an hour closer than Killington.

Our weather patern through next wk is going to be warmer than normal.I am a skier and if you really neeed to be closer to NY city than I would consider Hunter and Windham.If you want to really ski and don't need to be that close to NY than I would try Killington, or Okemo.The NY resorts will be very crowded though and conditions will be rougher than the Vermont areas.

At this point, it looks like we will be arriving in Albany mid afternoon on the 31st. We plan on heading out to either Mtn Snow or Stratton due to similar distance compared to Hunter Mtn (Thanks TypeRTurbo for the suggestion :biggrin: ).

Killington might be a bit too far. BTW, aside from these 2 area, any other VT skiing areas?

We will have 2 full day of skiing time (1/1 and 1/2) and return to the city first thing in the morning on 1/3.

The only left is equipment rental, which we will do it at the skiing area....

Thank you all! :biggrin:

Back