Signal blinker often sticks in left hand turns

Hi Prime!

I have been having a little problem recently with my signal getting stuck (about 1 in 5 turns) when making left hand turns. It's not that big of a deal because I just manually click the signal off. Also important to note is that there is no restriction in the blinker lever itself; it's very smooth and clean when operating the signals. To date it has never done it with right hand turns. It's a 1992 NSX.

After looking into the manual pages 23-216 and 23-217, the operation of the system in question is clearly shown here. I have not yet performed the input testing for the cancle unit(steps shown on 23-209), or the input testing for the turn signal relay(23-218). Testing these components in the shop is diffacult as the signal only fails to shut off sometimes, not always(1 in 5). I haven't tried having the front end off the ground and operating the signals from a stand still(yet).

So...the big question is, is the cancle unit/cancle switch itself(23-183, the device processing the readings from the sequence of A and B switches and the cam plate on the steering shaft) to blame for the signal not turning off(failing to process readings from time to time), or is the solenoid that the cancle unit tells to perform setting the signal back to neutral(signal off) to blame? Also in question is the turn signal relay. My options for replacement seem to be the cancle unit, the solenoid, or the turn signal relay - but perhaps the A and B pins taking readings for the cancle unit are not making good electrical contact?

Any help would be appreciated on the matter, I'm just looking for which direction to focus on first ... as always you guys have helped solve any problem I've had in the past! :biggrin:

try cleaning the cancel unit contacts pin first..that usually fix it..when i bought my 93 it was doing the samething..well it won't cancel left or right..took it apart, clean it good..make sure the prong are prop up and making good contact..now it's fine..no more problem..sometime it even cancel early with slight turn..

mine still does it, I purchased a used turn signal assembly and installed it this weekend and nothing, still does not cancel like it supose to, I took the control box apart and re-soilder everything. and nothing. I did not take it apart and clean it yet will have to try that this weekend. but its not a mechanical switch its electronic. so it hard to say.

Ok I had my Old one here on my desk, took it apart and it was black, where the connections make contact. so I cleaned them with 3200 grit sandpaper and made the copper Shine like the sun.. I cant test it till later this week, but heres the pic of the actual piece the other post talked about hope this helps.. its a bitch to get out though, I'm glad i had this spare. LOL but just be real careful taking it apart

picture.php

Last edited:
I had the same problem and cleaning the contacts did not work for me. In order to fix the problem I wound up installing a new switch.

I have spare switches and "turn signal cancel boxes" here is stock... pm, call, or email if anyone is interested...

Regards

Ross

I have repaired these many times by cleaning the contacts. However as of late I had a conversation with an owner and this did not work. What was done to repair it was replace the two caps on the control board of the switch. It appears these are vulrerable just like all the stereo amps and climate control:).

BrainK,

Time to add a new item to the offerings, if it is not already there:).

Regards,
LarryB

Ross - i tried cleaning the contacts on my 1996 and it didn't work. Do you still have any turn signal cancel boxes available and if so, how much?

Thanks Don!

I also took mine apart and cleaned them but I put a small amount of silicone grease on the contacts and it's been trouble free.
I think the lube is important

What's the fix if it cancels too early? Both my left and right blinker will often cancel as soon as I start to make my turn. I usually haven't to keep my hand on the stalk to reengauge the blinker during the turn.

Just letting everyone know that after not correcting the problem of "no cancellation" by cleaning the contacts on the switch, I purchased & installed a new switch which fixed my problem. I'm now back to normal! YEAH!

Back