Sighted Mine's R35 Nissan GT-R on Hawthorne near Skypark in Torrance

I was driving my NSX in the lane next to it. The GT-R made me feel small. That said, it was also upon a flatbed being pulled by a van, so, of course, it would seem considerably bigger.

I wonder what the JDM Mine's GT-R is doing in Torrance. I wonder where it was going (it turned left from southbound Hawthorne on to the street just after Skypark). I wonder if the Nissan 350Z tailing it was a fanboy.

Too bad I didn't have my camera with me.

I found this pic within a blog entry about it being in the USA posted back in April on GT Channel

Last edited:
Thats right in my neighborhood! Maybe it was taking the backway to the dealership down on PCH. Wait is there a nissan dealership there, even? I know there is an Infiniti... other than that... there isn't much back there. The only "auto" shop there is Big O tires and I doubt they were taking it there =]

You're always in my neck of the woods and I've never seen you.. infact I was at hawthorne/lomita today.,.. right near there.

Autobacs just sent me an e-mail that there will be a GT-R meet at Autobacs in Stanton this saturday (Aug 23th). Mine's R35 GT-R will be on display but I don't know if it's the same car you saw tho.

Last edited:
I saw the Mines GTR being hauled by an E350 van last weekend on the 91E/110/405 split. Its supposed to be at Steve somethings shop.... Steve Mitchell maybe? Sorry, forgot - but yeah, its going to be at Autobacs meet!

Yep, its in town and Steve at Mworkz has been keeping good care of it as well as the one of five made Spoon NSX-R GT! ($476,000!!!) We actually just came back from a shoot with Zig Zag Asia (Best Motoring) We battled against the Spoon NSX-R GT yesterday. It should be on GT-Channel soon. It was shot as a comparison between a stock NA2 NSX, The NSX-R GT, and our full blown unlimited NSX. It was amazing to actually see this thing in person and Billy actually tested it!

...it as well as the one of five made Spoon NSX-R GT! ($476,000!!!)...

Way way interesting. I had no idea that Honda contracted production of the NSX-R GT to Spoon or that one was actually in the US. Awesome!

Looking forward to seeing this on the GT-Channel soon. I wonder why none of the big car pubs haven't gotten to test the car yet though.

Apparently five were made. The owner of Spoon was at the shoot and he purchased one of them. It was a single turbo making around 400rwhp. I imagine since the car is state side you will see quite a bit of coverage in the next 4-6 months.

A NSX-R GT is here in the US? That would be a way cooler sighting...damn! in fact, that would be the ultimate NSX-to-NSX-in-the-wild sighting!

Last edited:
Apparently five were made. The owner of Spoon was at the shoot and he purchased one of them. It was a single turbo making around 400rwhp. I imagine since the car is state side you will see quite a bit of coverage in the next 4-6 months.

Gotcha - I misunderstood. I'd thought you were indicating that Spoon had made these instead of coming straight from mother Honda (something along the lines of McLaren and Mercedes but undisclosed). Five were, indeed, reported made but none of the owner's were actually known - except for Mr. Ichishima now. I'd heard rumors that Jenson Button and Takuma Sato were NSX-R GT owners but those were unsubstantiated.

Looking forward to reading some of that coverage! Who cares about the Mine's R35 now. ;)

I'll be keeping an eye out for it now that I know it is around. And I'll have to bring my camera wherever I go just in case...especially when I'm in the NSX.

Back