Should this be loose? Tensioner??

A/C belt tensioner. Suspect your belt will be quite loose!

For clarity: I presume this should not be loose? I will search the spec for tightness process but if anyone has it I would appreciate that info. Appreciate the note.

Interestingly, my cars engine bay tends to smell like heated plastic after driving. I never really thought much of it but maybe it's the AC belt taking a beating. That may be a risk I need to fix quickly. Also, I have occasionally felt the AC was not working properly, maybe it's due to traction on the belt...

12Nm but be gentle as you could twist the metal bar with the threaded rod welded where this long body nut sits.
The actual lock nut is on the side of the a/c idle pulley bearing.
As long as this lock nut is tight (44Nm, very tight space), your a/c belt won't get loose even with that long body nut in your photo was loose.

Kaz

12Nm but be gentle as you could twist the metal bar with the threaded rod welded where this long body nut sits.
The actual lock nut is on the side of the a/c idle pulley bearing.
As long as this lock nut is tight (44Nm, very tight space), your a/c belt won't get loose even with that long body nut in your photo was loose.

Kaz

BINGO! You may want to put a wrench on the pulley bolt to check for tightness just to be safe.

Back