Should I or shouldn't I?

My buddy bought a 1993 NSX from an auction for 15K. It has a salvage title due to front right fender damage. He has since had it repaired, all OEM, and repainted, also original paint back to spec. He owns a garage, and recharged the A/C, put new wheels/tires on it (looks sharp!), flushed the systems, replaced old oil with synthetic, replaced the timing belt, and put new brakes on it. He says he'll sell it to me at what his cost is. We're now looking at $26,900.

As a prospective NSX owner, I'd like to get the forum's thoughts on this deal. Visually, the car is stunning and drives very well. It has 90K miles.

Thoughts!?

Thanks!!

How does a car wind up with a salvage title because of a fender?!! don't you think there is more to it than that? I think you can find better. A salvage title really hurts the resale value of a car. Every car with a salvage title has a story... "oh it just had this".... I have never heard anyone say "Oh my God you should have seen this totalled P.O.S. I had to rebuild the whole thing with a bunch of used parts... good luck I hope it makes it out the driveway".

$27k seems high. I think you can get a clean title NSX for the same price with the same miles.:confused:

I would think the car was in pretty bad shape if it needed nearly $12k:eek: to bring it back in to average condition. I would think that the figure may be even higher if the $26900 is just what he has into the car so far. I would wait and spend a little more on a car with a less sorted history.

$27,000 is too much for a 93 salvage stock NSX with 90K miles. :frown:

I hope he is not your buddy and more of an acquiantence....because he is ripping you off.
Car: $15000
Front Fender Used: $400 (A lot of people are going wide body, so this is pretty easy to find)
Prep and Paint: $700
Rims and wheels: ~$2000 (depends on the rims/wheels)
T-belt and labor: $1200
Oil Change w/ synthetic: $50
A/C Recharge: $40
brakes: $150

Total: $19540 (It depends on how bad the fender damage was. I hope he didn't buy new OEM parts, because you can get very good used ones on prime)

I doubt he is selling at his cost. Plus, how do you know for sure he paid $15000 for the car.

Just find a clean title for around the same price. Less to worry about.

You won't even come close to insuring it for that much. Most insurance won't even do a full coverage for a salvage vehicle and the ones that do will only pay out less than 1/2 the vehicles worth.

Last edited:
Agreed. 26.9 is way too high . I paid 28.5 for a 91 w/40K in brand new mint condition. Has always been garaged and under a car cover. New tires, fresh belt and waterpump. New volk AV 3's, Comtech Adjustable suspension, Comptech exhaust, Comptech clutch/flywheel.
6129_.jpg

6130_.jpg

6131_.jpg

paid about that for mine without any title issues :wink:

Agreed. 26.9 is way too high . I paid 28.5 for a 91 w/40K in brand new mint condition. Has always been garaged and under a car cover. New tires, fresh belt and waterpump. New volk AV 3's, Comtech Adjustable suspension, Comptech exhaust, Comptech clutch/flywheel.
6129_.jpg

6130_.jpg

6131_.jpg

Greg how do you insure this fleet? do you switch up or do you keep everything insured? I would think that costs a lot of money.

Back