Should I get a compressions Test?

I'm about to buy a 1992 manual with 116,000 miles. I'm bringing it in to an Acura dealership to get a visual inspections done for $220 dollars. But for $330 i can also have a compression test done as well. Should I pay the extra money for this. The service writer was telling me that if the car looks like it has had its fluids changed regularly and that the car runs smoothly, this shouldn't really be necessary. What do you guys think?

So you're getting a PPI for $220 and for another $110 you can get a compression test. Kind of a no brainer in my opinion.

Yes, and make sure they perform the test with the throttle WIDE OPEN ! Otherwise your numbers will look low. As long as they are consistant across all the cylinders you are okay.

I didn't even have to read through your entire post to answer your question.... YES

I recommended my friend to by an NSX from another prime member. I assumed that the car was in top condition because he is a very knowledgable and contributing PRIME member. The car was also serviced a very good NSX service shop that almost everyone recommends in Southern Cali.

The car turned out to have a low compression on one of the cylinders. I should've insisted on my friend getting a compression test before buying the car. It goes to show that you can never do enough due diligence before buying a car. You shouldn't assume anything.

That same service shop said he did a compression test about 3 months before the purchase and it was good. I guess a lot can go wrong in 3 months.

The service writer was telling me that if the car looks like it has had its fluids changed regularly and that the car runs smoothly, this shouldn't really be necessary.

How exactly can I LOOK and see if the engine and tranny oil has been changed regularly over the last 100k+ miles? I understand if it hadn't been changed in, say, about 25k miles I might see some sludge, but no real way to tell with just a visual.

Get the compression test.

How exactly can I LOOK and see if the engine and tranny oil has been changed regularly over the last 100k+ miles? I understand if it hadn't been changed in, say, about 25k miles I might see some sludge, but no real way to tell with just a visual.

Get the compression test.

Ha, you can't, unless you do a oil analysis test and that will only show you the current oil. The current oil, if it's less than 3K miles, should look pretty darn good. You'll only be able be able to to draw some hypotheses of the conditoin of the oil/engine after 3K miles by comparing them to averages.

If you're spending anything mroe than 20K on this car, do EVERY test you can get your hand on. You can do an oil test via blackstone, overnight and expedite it for < $50.00. Unless the car is gonna disappear in the next couple of days, I'd do it.

..I regret doing a PPI on my car. Not because I probably wouldn't have bouht it anyway, but b/c I certainly would have negotiated that money back, probably a couple of k.

I've learned long and hard not to be cheap, don't be cheap

I almost bought a car that had bad compression and leak down tests. The car ran great and had a stellar history, even a record showing good compression from a very reputable Acura dealer before the current owner bought it. I went ahead and had it tested and the results were not good. The owner couldn't beleive it and went to 3 other places th have it tested with similar results, the numbers are never exactly the same but they were similar. The conclusion was that there was a compression issue for some reason so I passed on the car, and it only had just over 30,000 miles on it.

Money well spent....

Tytus

GET IT DONE! Between that and a leak down test they are the most important tests to get done on your new car. You want to be sure the NSX engine is in good shape. The only exception to that is if you want to rebuild the engine anyway for forced induction.

UPDATE: He got it done. The car was toast. He bought a different car after getting a clean PPI done on the same day at the same place!

ive never done a PPI or compression test on my vehicle...

is there a way i can tell just by driving that something should be checked? ive had it for 1 1/2 years and nothing has came up.

save the $110 and enroll in a common sense course

Clearly you are WRONG since this $110 saved him from buying a piece of crap. Read the whole thread before posting, or if you did, then WOW, just wow.

Back