Short shift kit recommendations

Ok, I did the search and lots of people recommend Titanium Dave's short shift kit. I am sold but have a few questions. Those of you who went with the Dave's kit, which knob did you go with? Is the kit that SOS sells for $60 all I need? I remember having a short shift kit on my 97 Eclipse GS, and it made a world of difference. Is there anything else I should buy other than the shift kit and a new knob? Thanks guys.

i got the comptech short shifter kit though dali.

it shortened the side to side and front to back motion.
5th and reverse is getting hard into though, but i think it was meant for track since it normally only sees 2nd and 3rd, sometimes 4th and rarely 5th or 6 for 6spd guys.

dave's kit just does the front to back which is fine i believe.

i have this set up in my car. i switched out from an Integra Type-R shift knob(same as 91-03 nsx knob, cept with red stitch) to the NSX-R style Carbon Fiber knob that i sell. it does lower the over all height and makes the shifting even shorter.

it makes a huge difference in shifting.
i havent experience a burning or frozen shiftknob with this setup yet though.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80686
11497102_6707_copy.jpg

Ok, I did the search and lots of people recommend Titanium Dave's short shift kit. I am sold but have a few questions. Those of you who went with the Dave's kit, which knob did you go with? Is the kit that SOS sells for $60 all I need? I remember having a short shift kit on my 97 Eclipse GS, and it made a world of difference. Is there anything else I should buy other than the shift kit and a new knob? Thanks guys.

Here's some good info. I just installed Dave's kit. It works great. There is no side-to-side change, but the install itself is a little difficult due to the lack of pics in the instructions. This link will help with that though.

Thanks guys. I am undecided if I want to change my shift knob and boot. I kinda like the way it looks to be honest. Would there still be an improvement if I kept the stock boot and shift knob, and just went with the short shift kit? Or, is it better to go with a shorter shift knob and the Type-R boot?

I have Titanium Dave's kit. It's one of my favorite mods. It almost replicates the shifter feel of my old S2000 :smile:

I have a countersunk shift knob (forget the make) which compliments the kit well.

I've driven an NSX with the Comptech kit. Although it feels nice, I prefer T-Dave's. I prefer not to have the side-to-side shortened.

you can also shorten the shifter itself, not the throws, by notching out a section of the shaft and rewelding. That's what I did to mine, but I still plan on getting a short shifter kit.

Dave's kit is a fantastic mod. 10K miles so far and smooth as silk. I have the round NA2 Type-R knob which is shorter than the OEM knob and reduces the throw even more. I love it. :cool:

Thanks guys. I am undecided if I want to change my shift knob and boot. I kinda like the way it looks to be honest. Would there still be an improvement if I kept the stock boot and shift knob, and just went with the short shift kit? Or, is it better to go with a shorter shift knob and the Type-R boot?

The knob and boot really don't have anything to do with the kit. The kit works well with stock knob. I have the kit and the type R stalk which is a bit shorter, and has longer threads allowing you to screw down the factory knob further. I think the stalk is $60 or $80 through SOS. Dave's kit may require some shaving of the stalk. I had to do that on two different stalks. Whatever you do, be really careful removing the center AC vent. Very easy to break. You can PM me if you have questions I have done this knob thing twice now.

Thanks guys. Will the real type-r round knob fit over the oem stalk? Or, would I need to purchase a shorter stalk? If I read it right, I believe I need to go with a shorter stalk as well if I were to go the type-r route. Dave, are you using the factory, leather knob?

I have Dave's and I originally had a Gruppe M shiftknob and found it very difficult to know which gear I was in at the track due to how small the Gruppe M knob was. I have since changed over to SoS's Type S replica knob and love that combo and no longer find that I am lost.

I have the Type R boot, the SOS Type S replica shift knob and Dave's short shift kit (from SOS).

I've had the knob and boot on the car for about a year and love the look, feel. I just installed the short shift kit about a week ago and while it doesn't shorten the side to side distance, it definitely improved my shift feel and shortened the front to back shifting distance. I really, really like this mod.

I was actually worried about it making the shifting "notchier" but as weird as it sounds it feels like it improved the shifting.

Great mod.

I have the Type R boot, the SOS Type S replica shift knob and Dave's short shift kit (from SOS).

I've had the knob and boot on the car for about a year and love the look, feel. I just installed the short shift kit about a week ago and while it doesn't shorten the side to side distance, it definitely improved my shift feel and shortened the front to back shifting distance. I really, really like this mod.

I was actually worried about it making the shifting "notchier" but as weird as it sounds it feels like it improved the shifting.

Great mod.

Does the replica knob fit on the existing stalk without mods? Or, do you need to purchase a different stalk?

I have Titanium Dave's short shift kit and the NSX-R knob from SOS it is a great combo. The reason I went with the SOS knob because it has a clip for the factory shift boot it’s a little more expensive but, if you get another knob in order to get a factory look you have to get the clip from Dali by the time you do that, it cost the same to get the SOS one that is a lot nicer. Plus I try not to deal with Dali do to the fact that they rip people off.

As for the short shift kit, its smooth and short no problems engaging any of the gears like factory only shorter. Great mod *NOTE* I put liquid graphite on the shift linkage this made a huge difference in smoothness. :smile:

Thanks guys. Will the real type-r round knob fit over the oem stalk? Or, would I need to purchase a shorter stalk? If I read it right, I believe I need to go with a shorter stalk as well if I were to go the type-r route. Dave, are you using the factory, leather knob?

Yes, I am using the factory knob. The factory 2005 knob is weighted. That extra weight helps with how smooth it clicks into gear. I had metal knobs and they were constantly hot or cold. I know I sound like a girl, but really in New England it gets so cold your hand will fuse to the knob. I was not about to use a sock all the time, as fun as wrapping your knob six times a week sounds, it was not for me. :biggrin:

You don't have to get the type R stalk, but like I said its threaded further down and its a bit shorter. Make sure you don't ruin your new console, practice removal with the old one first. How much did that run you anyway?

I think the new console was around $340'ish. Hopefully, it will be here next week.

I know I sound like a girl, but really in New England it gets so cold your hand will fuse to the knob. I was not about to use a sock all the time, as fun as wrapping your knob six times a week sounds, it was not for me. :biggrin:

Sorry, that sounded sooo wrong. :D

So - on the shorter shifter, does it increase the chances of grinding the gears because it might not give the gates enough time to open fully? I generally 'pause' and 'feel' the gates to open before I put it in. This is about .5 seconds. I never, maybe sometimes when I am driving a bit hard, "pull the knob down" near as fast as I can...

Ok, I just drove my NSX and really concentrated on the shifter. I have concluded that it definitely needs a short shift kit.:) I also have decided to get the shorter stalk as well. It just seems more comfortable and natural to shift at a lower point on the factory knob. Here are the parts I am proabably going to go with:

1. http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/gear_lever_stalk/

2. http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...s/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/Zanardi_knob/default.asp

3. http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/Daves_Parts/

Will all these parts work seamlessly together? Or, do I need a different boot, such as the NSX-R shift boot seen here: http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...oducts/NSX/Honda/NSX-R/shift_boot/default.asp

If anyone uses the SOS short stalk, please chime in here and let me know how you like it. Thanks again guys!

Back