Shopping for an NSX.

Hello fella's, brand new to the forum so I'll get straight to the point. As a proud owner of an 03' 350Z track model, I feel it's time to move on to the car I've wanted since 1991. Though I plan on using the search button my real question is, price range/mileage. I've narrowed it down to 91' through 93' models. What is a proper price range for these years with lets say 50,000/70,000 mile in perfect cond. Also what is the "snap ring range"? What should I look for, what should I avoid. Thank's for any input/thoughts you wish to share. And last is there anyone who finances for 6 years on a older used model.

First off...how much are you willing to spend? I always remind people that you can get an awesome 1991 NSX with averagely high miles that looks and operates brilliantly! Do not be afraid of a car with over 100,000 miles - just make sure that the timing belt/water pump and all seals have been done!

dam:cool:

I was figuring in the 30/32,000 range max. This will not be a daily driver since I have a co. truck.

Hello fella's, brand new to the forum so I'll get straight to the point. As a proud owner of an 03' 350Z track model, I feel it's time to move on to the car I've wanted since 1991. Though I plan on using the search button my real question is, price range/mileage. I've narrowed it down to 91' through 93' models.

Hello and welcome! Be sure you click on the "FAQ" button at the top of the page here. You'll find answers to virtually all of your questions, including a buyers check list that will help you greatly in your search.

What is a proper price range for these years with lets say 50,000/70,000 mile in perfect cond.

If all of the servicing has been done, etc., you'd be looking at 30K+ depending on what your definition of "perfect" is.

Also what is the "snap ring range"? What should I look for, what should I avoid.

Again, click on the "FAQ" button to find these answers. The snap ring range covers some of the '91s and a lot of the '92 NSXs. A lot of NSXs in this range have been fixed already, so this may or may not be an issue. The FAQ has a list of what NSXs are affected by this.

As for what else you should look for on the older NSXs, here are a few:

Window regulators issue taken care of
Coolant hoses changed
Air conditioner in good working order
Timing belt/water pump changed
Speaker amps replaced/serviced
Check CARFAX for clean title

After all of this, be sure to have the car looked at by a mechanic (preferably an NSX Tech at an Acura dealer) for any issues. Also, if the car is out of town (you are looking nationwide, right?) you can have someone from this forum take a look at if for you.

Thank's for any input/thoughts you wish to share. And last is there anyone who finances for 6 years on a older used model.

Check online or with a credit union. There are plenty of places that will do financing, but you have to have good credit.

By the way, there are several cars in the "for sale" section of this forum (my '91 included) if you want to get a feel for what these cars are selling for.

Good luck! :smile:

Chuck

Sweet...best of luck to you in your search....

I went from this:
Zautox1.jpg

to this:
nsx.jpg

and I haven't missed my Z one day since...(not that it wasn't a great car...the NSX is just so much more).

Its going to be difficult to find one in "perfect" condition with that kind of mileage. Rock chips are inherent on the aluminum body and seat bolsters tend to show wear. To find one in that condition, it will probably have much less mileage and probably sell for the mid 30K+.
I would concentrate more on getting a car with well documented service history.

It can have it's normal wear and tear, as long as mechanical history is avail. Where does the "snapring range" begin and end? What do I look for.

and I haven't missed my Z one day since...(not that it wasn't a great car...the NSX is just so much more).

Same. I was 1st on the list at the local Nissan dealer back in 2003 when the Z first came, silverstone grey on yellow leather. Went to test drive the car and hesitated. Ended up buying a mint '91 and never regret a single day, until the day I sold it.

It can have it's normal wear and tear, as long as mechanical history is avail. Where does the "snapring range" begin and end? What do I look for.

It's in the FAQ's on this board. The snap ring #'s are on the transmission, so you can't tell from the VIN or year of the car...just know that it affects some of the early 5spds. Mine was a '91 and I checked by following the directions on this board. Very useful. At this point I'd have to imagine there aren't too many left out there that haven't already broke or been fixed...should be rather rare to come across.

So basicly I have to rely on the seller to tell me hopefully the truth weather it's in or out of range.:frown: I'm looking at one in houston right now w/63K for 27,000. At this mileage I'm hoping for timing belt service done also.

Did a search for you.
Click "search" above, Tiltle only, and plug in snap ring.
(Or what ever you want to read about)

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1417965

Be careful of the 63k mi car for $27,000.00
Most early cars with 63k in great , no paint work, no accidents, clean title,
prev owner history, complete service history, are going for over 27k.
Nice A/B+ examples have stopped depreciating IMO. True A/B cars are harder to come by these days. They are out there, but you can't get in a hurry. http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/pricing.htm

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/used_nsx_checklist.htm
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/nsx_purchase_process.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. While I'm not in a huge hurry I am anxious as any pre-NXS owner would be. The car I found is actually here in the classifieds and only about an hour from me. It sold on ebay but the buyer could'nt get financed according to the seller. He claims to have an extended warranty with it. I may look at it just for my own curiosity, but I'll take your advise and not get it any hurry.

Sweet...best of luck to you in your search....

I went from this:
Zautox1.jpg

to this:
nsx.jpg

Your Audi looks like a full-size SUV next to your NSX.:biggrin:

They call that a Mini???

They call that a Mini???

I know...ever parked next to an EVO?? I think our roof comes up to the door sill. haha.

The NSX is a much smaller/lower/wider car than it looks in pictures....you have to get out and drive it around a little and park next to some monsters to really appreciate its demensions.

How goes the hunt??? I was lucky to get $25,500 for my Z when I sold it...but that was in 2005.

Cool, I'm coming from a Fairlady as well... Like you have said, its time to move onto something more comfortable. Big hello to my Z33 friends!

z33_0029.jpg

^^^ Nice color combo. PPW is one of my favorites...(after I bought mine and saw one in person).

Back