Shoes Snagged In Footwell?

When driving my NSX, the top of my left foot shoe (top part over my toes)frequently gets caught on something in the footwell when engaging the clutch (letting clutch pedal out). When I'm wearing sneakers with a mesh exterior, the mesh often gets snagged on what feels like a sharp edge or protrusion and my foot becomes stuck! :eek: I have to push the clutch back in to free my foot. Needless to say, it kind of freaks me out. Has anyone else run into this? Are my size 12 feet just too big for the NSX? :smile:

My shoes also used to catch on something in the footwell. I then removed the trim piece above the pedals (the piece that the footwell light is attached to), and now there's plenty of room. There's no more footwell light, but that's a small price to pay for never snagging your toes anymore.

I am size 15 & don't have this problem. Look around with a flashlight for a screw or something protruding.

My shoe size is 9.5 and I drive a F-250 turbo diesel to compensate :biggrin:

When driving my NSX, the top of my left foot shoe (top part over my toes)frequently gets caught on something in the footwell when engaging the clutch (letting clutch pedal out). When I'm wearing sneakers with a mesh exterior, the mesh often gets snagged on what feels like a sharp edge or protrusion and my foot becomes stuck! :eek: I have to push the clutch back in to free my foot. Needless to say, it kind of freaks me out. Has anyone else run into this? Are my size 12 feet just too big for the NSX? :smile:

Happens occasionally to my size 10's!

How the hell do you large-hooved folks fit your right foot between the brake pedal and the console to operate the gas? I wear 8's and unless I am wearing actual driving shoes, or indoor soccer flats, I have to go in at an angle to keep from getting a shoe stuck on the brake pedal when coming off the gas.

Call it skills! I have size 12 too and I usually don't have a problem. I also usually ware Puma or Adidas driving shoes so it is pretty easy. Heel toe can be a problem at times but you learn to know you way around down there:tongue:

Mesh works like velcro...Find a pair of shoes that are leather. Also some styles are more narrow than others too. I have a pair of black hi top basketball shoes that I always wear while driving my car for that same reason. I have a size 13 foot.

I often drive the nsx without shoes.:redface:

Socks muffle the edges:wink:

My shoes also used to catch on something in the footwell. I then removed the trim piece above the pedals (the piece that the footwell light is attached to), and now there's plenty of room. There's no more footwell light, but that's a small price to pay for never snagging your toes anymore.

I'll check under there to see if there is anything that can be removed or covered to prevent the problem. If not, I'll just yank the whole panel as above. Thanks guys!

Try wearing driving shoes. I find that athletic shoes get snagged very easily in the tight space. I now use the Steve Madden "drifter" and Clarks driving moccasins. They feel ten times more comfortable and perform better when driving. I bet you will find these shoes to be so comfortable you will want to use them for mowing the grass and anything else that requires wearing shoe!

BTW - you may have noticed in the old Senna videos that he would always wear drivers when taking the NSX out for a spin.

Links to the shoes: http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Madden-Mens-Drifter-Slip-on/dp/B000E0DVMU

http://www.nextag.com/men-s-driving-shoes-moccasins/shop-html

Last edited:
I wear 9.5 to 10 size shoes and they get stuck in the foot well quite often when i'm using the clutch. I stopped wearing my work boots and started wearing my vans skate shoes and it stopped. /shrug

I wear 13's and yea this happens all the time.. to avoid doing that, I have to use my toes or the ball of my foot to push the pedal in ...... :(

These are my everyday work boots.
16DL_med.jpg

I am a telephone lineman for the Air Force.
I don't have a NSX but I do drive a Prelude everyday. I notice getting my big boots (size 13) in and out of my car everyday I am always hitting stuff. I have ripped off my stoppers for my brake lights, clutch stopper for cruise control, and more recently I believe the clutch safety switch stopper.

Good luck with your big feet.

I often drive the nsx without shoes.:redface:

+2, luv driving with just my socks or bare feet in the summer! :)

I have these upgraded aluminum pedals and it sure feels great :tongue:

Well I checked the footwell and it definitely is the lower panel. The edge of the panel sandwiches my foot between the panel and the clutch pedal. The edge is rough so it catches in my sneaker webbing. I'm just thinking about trimming about 1" of plastic away with a dremel- that should totally solve the problem...or I could just toss the whole panel like Greenberet...

Back