Shipping Wheels

I had some wheels shipped from Arizona (Discount Tire) to So. Cal., and they arrived thru UPS. They had them mounted with tires and they had 2 pieces of round cardboard on either side of the rims with strapping around the tires. To get an idea of how they wrapped it, when you laided it down flat, it looked like a big pizza with the strapping as the cuts in the pizza. It was 10 bucks each wheel and tire for shipping. BTW, these were for my SUV and they were huge (sizes 285/60-17).

John,

10 bucks each?!!! HECK, that's a deal. I'll probably go that route when I sell my GS-R wheels.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

Originally posted by ANYTIME:
I had some wheels shipped from Arizona (Discount Tire) to So. Cal., and they arrived thru UPS. They had them mounted with tires and they had 2 pieces of round cardboard on either side of the rims with strapping around the tires. To get an idea of how they wrapped it, when you laided it down flat, it looked like a big pizza with the strapping as the cuts in the pizza. It was 10 bucks each wheel and tire for shipping. BTW, these were for my SUV and they were huge (sizes 285/60-17).

This is the same way that Tire Rack ships - the tires protect the rims - as long as everything stays tightly banded together.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

FYI the reason tire rack shipping prices are so cheap is because UPS gives them a discounted price on shipping. OTher then that.. I sent out 4 OEM NSX Wheels to someone 200 miles from here and it cost me $70 to ship them.. they charge a PER TIRE surcharge if they are not boxed up.

------------------
'92 Sebring Silver NSX #181

Get a set of discarded boxes (OEM) from any wheel/tire center and package the wheels yourself.

I'm sure you could fit an NSX rim/tire in any 20" or 21" SUV box.

I would be much more concerned about rim damage than saving a few bucks.

97-T #009 @21K

Thanks for the replys, but it seems like its going to cosgt big $$$ to ship 4 wheels and tires. The cheapest is around $50 a wheel cross country. If any one has any better suggestion, I'd really like to know. Or actually, the buyer would really like to know. I'm about to tell him that I can't ship them.

Thanks.
Chris

All you can do is this.. get a box for Each rim.. now a 24X24X12 box will fix the front rims inc tires and for the rears you need a 30X30x15 box. Now what I did was take a 36X30X36 box (MAX for UPS) and stick 3 rims in it.. and then took another box and put 1 rim in it.. unless you want them on a crate and shipped via carrier???

------------------
'92 Sebring Silver NSX #181

[This message has been edited by HapaHaole (edited 14 January 2002).]

Back