Shark Antenna

I don't know if you guys also happen to be brilliant photographers or if the subject matter appeals to me but Demigod, something about that picture is extremely cool.

Thanks, it was taken with a point and shoot camera..Nikon Coolpix 8700.. Need to get a DSLR soon. I did do a couple things in PS though. :wink:

I think all antennas are hideous. Some less than others. I just unplugged mine and reception is perfectly fine. Time: 20 seconds. Cost: $0.

I disconnected the power to my antenna so it never raises, and I still get decent reception most of the time.

That shark antenna looks pretty cool though! Definitely an attractive option to the stock antenna that makes the NSX look like an R/C car. :tongue:

I did the same thing, but hardly ever listen to the radio. However when I do its decent. I was considering getting it shaved as I think it ruins the lines of the car and its dated.

I installed a shark antenna in January. As with everyone else, installing the nut was once again the PITA. Otherwise a very simple job; the pics & directions I got off the supplier's web site were excellent.

The red wire is for power. I live in a suburban area. I experimented with the power connected, disconnected and with using the rear window glass antenna only. Going thru my pre-set stations, with power all stations came in fine. Without power, or with only the rear-window antenna, I could not get a number of the more distant or lower power stations.

I had two motivations for installing the shark antenna.
1. The 6 foot monster just looked ugly and of course is not needed when listening to CDs or using an iPOD with an FM modulator (rear window antenna is fine for that)

2. I'd forget to run off the radio before going into my garage and would bend the antenna when it snagged on my storage lift. :eek:

So, installing the shark solved both problems, although problem 1 could have been addressed with a switch.

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

I have had the smartenna installed since I bought the car (previous owner did it...), and it worked great. Only problem was when I listened to my iPod (which is most of the time), the antenna would need to go up for that because it was just a lighter adapter type. When I replaced my H/U with the New Kenwood DDX-8019 the antenna goes up EVERY time the stereo is powered up (even if I'm not listening).

I ordered the antenna last Tuesday (June 12th), I didn't get an email from the guy until Friday "saying" it was being shipped. It is nearly 2 weeks later and I still have not received anything. :mad:

I have had the smartenna installed since I bought the car (previous owner did it...), and it worked great. Only problem was when I listened to my iPod (which is most of the time), the antenna would need to go up for that because it was just a lighter adapter type. When I replaced my H/U with the New Kenwood DDX-8019 the antenna goes up EVERY time the stereo is powered up (even if I'm not listening).

I ordered the antenna last Tuesday (June 12th), I didn't get an email from the guy until Friday "saying" it was being shipped. It is nearly 2 weeks later and I still have not received anything. :mad:

I purchased two antennas from Locustom two different times (most recent was about three months ago) and they were shipped quickly. Must be a temporary problem. One of these antennas is on my NSX, the other on the roof of my Ridgeline. Both of them work very well. If you have a 7/8 inch deep socket the nut is a piece of cake.

BTW - people need to remember that the Shark is a powered (boosted) antenna. It has a signal amplifier in the base of the antenna. The Fuba is designed the same way. Without power the signal will be weaker becase the Shark is so short. I believe the ideal FM antenna is about 31 inches long because that is an integer divisor of the wavelength of FM signals.

Last edited:
I dont have a hole for this type of antenna. When the car was painted they covered the hole. There is an antenna in the car, it looks like a bow tie and sticks to the rear window. problem is the receptions stinks. I want to replace it. Has anyone else used any other antenna options?

..... When I replaced my H/U with the New Kenwood DDX-8019 the antenna goes up EVERY time the stereo is powered up (even if I'm not listening).....

Too late for you now it appears, since you're already making the switch to Shark, but it is not that difficult to isolate the antenna power from the Bose amp power - even easier if you're using after-market amp.
Almost univerally now after-market heads have dedicated 'antenna up' outputs, which are only active when the tuner is on. It's simply a case of wiring it appropriately to take advantage of that.

I purchased two antennas from Locustom two different times (most recent was about three months ago) and they were shipped quickly. Must be a temporary problem.

I got an email last week from Paypal saying a label was created and they gave me a tracking number. When I try and track it, it only says that the label has been created. I emailed him on Thursday to find out what was going on, and still have not heard anything. If I don't hear from him by Monday I'm going to retract Payment via Paypal... :mad:

Too late for you now it appears, since you're already making the switch to Shark, but it is not that difficult to isolate the antenna power from the Bose amp power - even easier if you're using after-market amp.
Almost univerally now after-market heads have dedicated 'antenna up' outputs, which are only active when the tuner is on. It's simply a case of wiring it appropriately to take advantage of that.

Unfortunately I am still using the stock amp/speakers. I do have the Power antenna wire going to the PA lead, but it still goes up EVERYTIME the H/U is powered up. :confused:

...Unfortunately I am still using the stock amp/speakers. I do have the Power antenna wire going to the PA lead, but it still goes up EVERYTIME the H/U is powered up. :confused:

What you have to do if you still have the stock amp/speakers is separate the amp relay power & the antenna power: you need to cut the pink/white wire (easiest place is down at the drivers rocker panel harness) and then run a new wire from the cut end that goes back to the trunk to the antenna power output - that will do it!
Remember to insulate the other end of the cut wire that will be left unconnected!

That's much cheaper than the S2000 antenna I bought and haven't installed yet:rolleyes:

Yes, I read that too. But are people really concerned with reception?

People not concerned with reception leave the stock antenna in the down position, gives the smoothest look.

People concerned with reception buy the shark II antenna fixed antenna, not as smooth but a great trade-off if you listen to the radio.

I don't know who would want a fixed antenna that doesn't receive anything. :confused:

Sorry for digging up an old thread:

But has anyone installed the MDX antenna on their NSX?
http://www.locustom.com/mdx_kit.htm

Does the rake of the MDX antenna look bad/not right on the NSX?

Anyone know the performance differences between the Shark II, Fuba, and MDX and what's your preference?

I purchased two antennas from Locustom two different times (most recent was about three months ago) and they were shipped quickly. Must be a temporary problem. One of these antennas is on my NSX, the other on the roof of my Ridgeline. Both of them work very well. If you have a 7/8 inch deep socket the nut is a piece of cake.

BTW - people need to remember that the Shark is a powered (boosted) antenna. It has a signal amplifier in the base of the antenna. The Fuba is designed the same way. Without power the signal will be weaker becase the Shark is so short. I believe the ideal FM antenna is about 31 inches long because that is an integer divisor of the wavelength of FM signals.

I don't know if you guys also happen to be brilliant photographers or if the subject matter appeals to me but Demigod, something about that picture is extremely cool.

IMO, the reason is that the NSX looks much better when you use a zoom lens and zoom in some. The longer focal length foreshortens the front and back of the car a bit, making the tail look wider and broader. Most people take their pics with a relatively wide angle lens that does the opposite and makes the car look strange. Clearly, the car was meant to be seen by the eye, not a camera with a wide angle lens.

I doubt if there is any real reception difference. Both antennas are amplified. Their length is about the same. The only reason one would have different reception is if the amplifiers had different gain. Gain is essentially free in electronics like that.

Back