Setting the record straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I think very highly of my NSX (1994 red/black) I do not consider it the best sports car in the world. This seems to come as a shock to some people in this forum! The nsx is a great all rounder, but in my mind it does not excell in any one area:

It is not more beautifull than a 355/360
it does not have the whow factor of a Countach or Diablo
it does not have the constant evolution of a Porsche
it does not have the speed of a 911 Turbo

What the nsx is great for is that it gives us 85% of all the above factors reliably EVERY DAY. It is not that expensive to buy or to run and it does not beak down. That is why we own the nsx - it is a safe bet! Your nsx is like your wife whilst the ferrari is your mistress. Your wife is dependable, supportive, always there for you etc. The mistress is expensive to maintain, but more fun.

Bottom line is that if money was no object, I would not own an nsx. Please try to see the positives of this thread and do not accuse me of being a traitor. All I am trying to do is put forward my perspective.

ufo 1 said:
While I think very highly of my NSX (1994 red/black) I do not consider it the best sports car in the world. This seems to come as a shock to some people in this forum! The nsx is a great all rounder, but in my mind it does not excell in any one area:

What the nsx is great for is that it gives us 85% of all the above factors reliably EVERY DAY. It is not that expensive to buy or to run and it does not beak down. That is why we own the nsx - it is a safe bet! Your nsx is like your wife whilst the ferrari is your mistress. Your wife is dependable, supportive, always there for you etc. The mistress is expensive to maintain, but more fun.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...however, you completely contradicted yourself.

A. It may not be more beautiful than a 360
B. It may not have the wow factor of a Diablo (countach is way to outdated to wow me...)
C. It may not have the evolution of the porsche (This is think is a + in the NSXs case since they hit the nail on the head the first time and only had to make "minor adjustments")
D. It may not be as fast as a 911 Turbo...

Now, lets take a look: Ferrari- only deals with exotic sports cars...Lambo- Same...Porsche- Same (excluding cheyenne)....

Do you possibly think they have a much higher budget to spend on developing a sports car? Do you think they possibly are more concerned with the 911 turbo's speed while acura/honda is more concerned with teh reliability of their flagship Civic or Accord? Thats where the NSX gets slightly jaded.

HOWEVER, you said the NSX has 85% of all the above...And that to me is one of the reasons its ONE of the best sports cars made.

The cars mentioned above only meet criteria for a category or two. The NSX is a close runner up in all of them which makes it well rounded.

The best athletic teams aren't #1 because they have one all star, or even two...they are well-rounded and thats what makes them the best...

This is a very biased place to post that because most of us feel the NSX is the best sports car, hence we own one :)

Ufo 1,

I'm hearing you, meaning, I understand what you are trying to say. But I would like to comment on your points.

1). The NSX is indeed not more beautifull than the 355/360. But in my opinion (emphasis added) it is not less beautiful also. Pesonally, I would rate tham about the same. The interior of the 355 is awful, again, my opinion.

2) There are hardly any cars with the WOW factor of the Countach/Diablo/Murcielago. Goes for the NSX and as well as for the Porsches, Ferraris, Maseratis, De Tomaso etc. Those three cars are/were designed with the WOW-factor as primary goal.
I think every carmaker has put WOW-cars on carshows at some time. Most never reach production. The Lambo's did because those are the only cars they make. But then again, I think the other cars were ment to be driven more than showed off.

3) The lack of evolution of the NSX has been discussed here many times. It's not the fault of the NSX but the mistake of Honda. But, come to think of it, back in 1990 the 911 did have very little exceptional engineering built into it and that goes for the current model as well. The NSX came and still comes with some technologies which are still very rare in any production car.

4) The 911 Turbo came to be because people wanted to be faster. Slapping on a Turbo was a quick and easy (read: cheap) solution to achieve this. One of the reasons for the 911 still being in existence was that Porsche did not have the capital necessary to develop a completely new car. In the end, when they did, the 911 had achieved a following that had difficulty accepting any other Porsche as being a real Porsche (the 'there can be only one'-effect). Honda has thusfar remained true to their policy of making only NA-cars.
Given a NSX with similar power/speed as the 911 Turbo, I have little doubt it be faster on any track than that same appraised 911 Turbo.

Again, this is all my opinion of course. For me, if money would be no object, I would still have my NSX. A younger one, yes. Maybe even two, one standard, one modified. But I would add other cars to the collection as well. And yes, there would be a Porsche and a Ferrari too. But don't ask me which I would drive more because the NSX is very hard to beat in the driveability-department.

ufo 1 -

It seems as though you posted your post here because you wanted to express the same kind of silly statements for which you were flamed in this topic. In that topic, most of us came to the conclusion that you don't even own an NSX - which is why it's not surprising to us that you claim you own a '93 in one topic, and a '94 in another. It's quite clear to most of us that you are posting here simply to "troll", to annoy NSX owners into responding to your "flame bait". We disagreed with you in that other thread and saw through your ploy there, and you are likely to get the same reaction from your lame post here. Perhaps it's time for you to move along rather than play your silly games, no? Because you are

owned.gif

ufo 1 said:

What the nsx is great for is that it gives us 85% of all the above factors reliably EVERY DAY. It is not that expensive to buy or to run and it does not beak down. That is why we own the nsx

How you describe the NSX is exactly how I believe Honda designed the car to be. It was not mean to be the best in anything, but do everything well. That is how I like it. I rather have a car that does everyting very well then is the best at a few things. Just like I rather have a car that looks really good and performs average than a car that is ungly but the fastest in the world.

As for your list, I mostly agree.

A) I disagree. I like the looks of the NSX better than the 360. Not much though. Just lke how I like Japanse girls and married a japanese women. You might like someting different.

B) I agree. But I didn't buy the NSX to "WOW" people. I bought because I persoally like it. I don't really care if I impress others or not.

C) Maybe so, but I don't see and lack of technology in the NSX currently from current cars of today.

D) Maybe so, but if the NSX-R can do the 1/4 mile in 12.8 and 0-60 in 4.5 as shown in that Japanese video, that is good enough for me.

If money were no object and I could afford anything I wanted. I would still own an NSX. Sure, I probabaly would also own a Ferrari of some and a Diablo as well. I would also have a million dollar house and a bunch of other cars that I like as well. I probably would learn to fly and airplan and do and have many other things. But, I can't afford anything in the world so I'll just enjoy the NSX:D

UFO "lost in space" man, you love the NSX, you just need a thread to be able to convince your friends that the NSX is really that good. LOL

I'd say the NSX is your favourite car too. If money was no object we'd all be driving a McLaren F1 (my choice :-), but then again there are only about 100 of them, so what shall you do then??

Let the flames go on. Fun to read these threads anyways.

Hey UFO man, here's evolution for you

THE RESULTS
1st Honda NSX-R93.5
2nd Porsche 911 C4S92.9
3rd Ferrari 575M 'Fiorano'88.6
4th Mercedes SL55 AMG86.9
5th Lotus Elise 111S85.1
6th Mini Cooper S84.9
7th Mitsubishi Evo VII FQ-30082.7
8th Nissan 350Z81.8
9th Renault Sport Clio Cup81.3
10th Jaguar XKR-R79.7
11th Subaru Impreza STi PPP78.4
12th Ford Focus RS76.0

Now read the test and have a rest. (eheey I'm a poet too) Even a normal 2002 NSX vs. 996 C4 is a close race. the NSX has evolved, the numbers on the paper have not! (280/290 hp etc.)

http://www.runeb.org/www_docs/Jexoticasite/soundandvideo/evonsxr.htm

ufo 1 said:

Your nsx is like your wife whilst the ferrari is your mistress. Your wife is dependable, supportive, always there for you etc. The mistress is expensive to maintain, but more fun.

Bottom line is that if money was no object, I would not own an nsx.

Wife vs mistress eh? I would feel bad for "your" wife if indeed she exists.

So the bottom line is that if you're richer, taller, muscular, better looking you'll vouch for some one with D cup size instead of B??? :p

nsxtasy said:
In that topic, most of us came to the conclusion that you don't even own an NSX - which is why it's not surprising to us that you claim you own a '93 in one topic, and a '94 in another.

owned.gif

Nice find, nsxtacy!!

Yes, once and for all, let's leave him alone. He definitely has an attention deficit disorder.

nsxtasy said:
ufo 1 -

It seems as though you posted your post here because you wanted to express the same kind of silly statements for which you were flamed in this topic. In that topic, most of us came to the conclusion that you don't even own an NSX - which is why it's not surprising to us that you claim you own a '93 in one topic, and a '94 in another. It's quite clear to most of us that you are posting here simply to "troll", to annoy NSX owners into responding to your "flame bait". We disagreed with you in that other thread and saw through your ploy there, and you are likely to get the same reaction from your lame post here. Perhaps it's time for you to move along rather than play your silly games, no? Because you are

owned.gif

BUSTED & DESTROYED!!

Mission complete.

Over & out.

ufo 1 said:
Your nsx is like your wife whilst the ferrari is your mistress...The mistress is expensive to maintain, but more fun.

Dude, I guess you've never taken your NSX or wife to the limit; I feel sorry for them both.

DanO

If money was no object, I would still have an NSX in my collection. No car collection is complete without it.

nsxtasy said:
ufo 1 -

owned.gif

:eek: :eek: OOOooooooo!!!!! BUSTED!!!!! Haven't seen a great bust like this since Hawaii 5-0 went off the air :D :D!! Great work nsxtasy or can I call you the new "Steve McGarrett" (aka: Jack Lord);)

ufo and the alike minded....

I don't post a lot, simply because I still don't own my NSX yet...
but I did drove a few of them lately, in my search for the one that I am going to buy soon.

It is indeed a wonderful and very enjoyable car to drive!!, it looks very good my opinion,........ it simply stole my heart... amen.

I am not all that young anymore, and used to own as far as sportscars are concerned a ferrari 328, e type, ac cobra, detomaso pantera, lambo miura, porsche 911, lotus europ...I might forget some..., well the X is indeed in the same league, attractively priced, and cheap to maintain.
What else could one ask for.

Leave those with a different taste ( show off) , or frustrated soul, (money lackers) to their "special" taste.

yezzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:cool:

Well Blue Wax, welcome to the forum (though you have been here before).
Always nice to see someone from Europe here because there are so few of us overhere.
Take your time looking for a good NSX. Don't hesitate to look abroad as well. I know I did and found a nice one in Germany.
Use this forum to ask as many questions as you like. There is a lot to learn if you read carefully.
Hope to see you on one of the Honda or NSX-days with your own car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back