Semi tire cap

I just got back from my trip (rte 66) to Phoenix. It was a great trip except for the return through northern TX. I was ahead (barely) of another car. I was in the left lane passing and next to a semi. There was a car in front of me. This is not an unusual situation; but, when the car ahead of me jerked to the right he barely missed the nose of the semi. I thought to myself: 'what a jerk'. Then I saw, too late, why he did what he did. There was a full thrown semi tire cap (as in recap) in my lane. There was nothing to do but hit it. The impact broke my chin skirt loose on the right, loosened the right side skirt and screwed up the rear of the quarter-panel. It'll probably cost 1k+ to fix the damage.

Has anyone else had a similar situation at any time in any car? I sent a letter to my US sens and rep; but, thought I would like to find out if there are others with a bill to pay because a trucker thought he would save some money.

mbartlett4 said:
Has anyone else had a similar situation at any time in any car?
Yes. In my case, the car ahead of me obscured by view of the pavement, and I didn't see the retread until it was sent airborne by the car ahead. I had a dented hood and a shattered headlight cover, for a total of around $3K to fix. Paid by insurance, of course. (The comprehensive portion.)

mbartlett4 said:
I sent a letter to my US sens and rep; but, thought I would like to find out if there are others with a bill to pay because a trucker thought he would save some money.
Retreads are common in the trucking industry, and they make a lot of sense. Retreads on the pavement are very rare, and I wouldn't expect them to be given a high priority by the government, especially given the clout of the industry.

Next time, don't follow so closely.

...Retreads are common in the trucking industry, and they make a lot of sense....

I realize that there is a cost factor involved; however, there must be a way to limit the number of caps on the road in H O T weather.

...Retreads on the pavement are very rare...

Rare unless the weather/pavement is extremely hot. I had to dodge several full caps on my trip as well as the occasional fragment.

...I wouldn't expect them to be given a high priority by the government, especially given the clout of the industry.

What I requested was an improvement in the construction of recaps to limit the frequency of throes.

Back