• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Self Maintenance

For the "little" things to maintain the NSX, here are some questions

Engine Oil. What type do you use & can it be purchased at Canadian Tire ?

Fuel. Bram, you were mentioning the other day that the high octane from Sunoco had some draw backs. Can you please expand on that ?

Leather upholstry. I was told that ArmorAll can crack the dash leather as it was invented prior to UV coated windshields. Any truth to this ? What are guys out there satisfied with ?

Thanks for any insight

sorry bout that posted to wrong thread...

Last edited:
BTRTHNSX said:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54438

BTRTHNSX said:
Leather upholstry. I was told that ArmorAll can crack the dash leather as it was invented prior to UV coated windshields. Any truth to this ? What are guys out there satisfied with ?
The dash is vinyl, not leather. http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/LeatherVinyl.htm

For the vinyl portions of the NSX interior, I really like Zymol Vinyl, which leaves the surfaces clean and conditioned, with a slight satiny look to them, but without the oily, glossy look or feel that ArmorAll leaves. Similarly, Zymol Treat is an excellent product for the leather surfaces, and releases trapped solvents and restores moisture to keep your leather looking, feeling, and smelling like new.

For more details on both products: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10003

I would definitely avoid armor all. It leaves a highly reflective finish (even after buffing) which you can see in your windshield. I did this on another car and it bugged the crap out of me.

What's the deal with Ultra 94? I use it all the time now that I'm FI for the extra bit of protection. What are the drawbacks?

Hey Rick,
I only use Mobile 1....but ONLY A HONDA OIL Filter.
You can get the Oil from C/T

I read a thread on prime that using fuel with High content of Methanol is not good for NSX, emissions. (I use Sonoco 94 and Shell)
I will look for the thread

Interior stuff, Armorall is not that great.

Bram

QUOTE=BTRTHNSX]For the "little" things to maintain the NSX, here are some questions

Fuel. Bram, you were mentioning the other day that the high octane from Sunoco had some draw backs. Can you please expand on that ?

Thanks for any insight[/QUOTE]

Oil: I use German Formula Castrol Syntec 0w30 in my supra, it has excellent properties and is good for all year round. Oil Drop Forums have more info on it. And it's Green! :p I beleive most there recommend it over Mobil 1, and it's cheaper and you can get it at Canadian tire..just make sure it says made in Germany..it's a Red and Black container. You can't buy it in 4L jugs though.

Oh an on Ultra 94, unless you're running forced induction or much higher compression than stock, forget about it. The car is rated for 91 and that's all you need. More octane than you need is harded to burn, and the engine can experience worse performance, possible hesitation on hard acceleration and more incomplete combustion. Sunoco's marketing sucks. It's more performance if you can advance igition and compression to take advantage of it. Otherwise you are just pissing money away.

94 has Ethanol in it, and it can advance the wearing out of some engine seals based on evidence ( i have no sources on this but that's the word). But that's the price you gotta pay if you need the knock protection.

I should add that the NSX has a knock sensor and will pull timing and add fuel if knock conditions are present, so if it's an NA car with stock pistons don't worry about it. You could run 87 in an NSX and it would still run, just more like an Accord.

Summary: Run 91 unless you have FI/Compression that warrants a higher octane.

Bram said:
I read a thread on prime that using fuel with High content of Methanol is not good for NSX, emissions. (I use Sonoco 94 and Shell)
Most fuels contain up to 10 percent ethanol, not methanol. It won't harm your engine at all.

Joel mentions his favorite oil as being "German Formula Castrol Syntec 0w30".
What if I just need to add a quart ? Can I add it to what's already in there or should I only use it once I change the oil ?

BTRTHNSX said:
Joel mentions his favorite oil as being "German Formula Castrol Syntec 0w30".
What if I just need to add a quart ? Can I add it to what's already in there or should I only use it once I change the oil ?

Do you know what's in there now? If it's conventional non-synthetic oil you don't want to start putting synthetic in there unless you do a full flush.

That being said I wouldn't mix other synthetics either.

If it's conventional oil I wouldn't care as much about mixing it if you only need a quart, but I'd be looking to change the oil not too long after.

In general I would try not to mix oils just for consistency, you don't know how well the oils may mix.

Hey Joel (satan_srv)

I have a buddy (Bruce) who also has a 93/94 SupraTT. How long have you had yours? Any mods? He has done suspension work and mild engine mods. Me thinks he's around 400rwhp. Do you know Phil (Adrenaline Motorsports)? He is currently building himself a SupraTT for the track. Hopes to have it ready in couple weeks.

GreatWhiteNorth said:
Hey Joel (satan_srv)

I have a buddy (Bruce) who also has a 93/94 SupraTT. How long have you had yours? Any mods? He has done suspension work and mild engine mods. Me thinks he's around 400rwhp. Do you know Phil (Adrenaline Motorsports)? He is currently building himself a SupraTT for the track. Hopes to have it ready in couple weeks.

yo man...Phil and I are good friends, been to his shop many times. I used to live in Waterloo a few years ago and met him when I was destroying MKIII supras, I was pretty good at rolling them lol. Anyways yeah I've seen the track car in progress should be fun. I e-mailed him he might bring the silver supra out to the this track day maybe, he's installing my RaceLogic Tration Control next and new brakes and some other stuff. I dynoed 400rwhp at 19psi on stock fuel...I had intake, 3" dp/cat/exhaust, bcc, hks hardpipes/fmic, profec bc etc...standard stuff. Need some fuel tuning before I run above 15-16 psi though the a/f didn't look too shit hot. Suspension is Eibach springs and Volk GT-Ns. So hopefully I can get in some track time next week. Cheers

satan_srv said:
Do you know what's in there now? If it's conventional non-synthetic oil you don't want to start putting synthetic in there unless you do a full flush.

That being said I wouldn't mix other synthetics either.

If it's conventional oil I wouldn't care as much about mixing it if you only need a quart, but I'd be looking to change the oil not too long after.

In general I would try not to mix oils just for consistency, you don't know how well the oils may mix.
You can mix any oils together without problems due to mixing - synthetic with non-synthetic, as well as different viscosities. You just don't get the consistency of knowing that the entire engine has synthetic or a given viscosity. But there's no problem mixing them with each other.

nsxtasy said:
You can mix any oils together without problems due to mixing - synthetic with non-synthetic, as well as different viscosities. You just don't get the consistency of knowing that the entire engine has synthetic or a given viscosity. But there's no problem mixing them with each other.

Agreed, I'm no scientist, just generally I wouldn't recommend it for reasons of consistency. It's all oil at the end of the day, but in refinement different detergents etc are being used by each company, and you don't know how they may interact with each other, although I would assume the impacts would be minor.

nsxtasy said:
Most fuels contain up to 10 percent ethanol, not methanol. It won't harm your engine at all.
I've tried the blend that Mohawk sells in Canada and my check engine light came on ... quit after one tank and it went off and hasn't come back on.

NSX2398 said:
I've tried the blend that Mohawk sells in Canada and my check engine light came on ... quit after one tank and it went off and hasn't come back on.

Did you check the code? If so what was it?

GreatWhiteNorth said:
Cool. I'll be at HANSON DDT track day as well. So I guess I'll see then.

Dude! You KNOWZ I'm gonna be there too!:biggrin: So is Dave!

I'll be wearing a white, red and black Porsche!

You bringing your French girlfriend (the topless one)?:wink:

Stu

Red said:
So is Dave!

You bringing your French girlfriend (the topless one)?:wink:

Stu

Say what? :D

And if i cannot get my fuel leak fixed, I wont be able to go to this day obviously.

It should be fine, but the rules also say I need new brake fluid, which wont happen unless I get the leak fixed very soon.

Back