• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Seibon Engine Cover - Can't Close Lid?

Hello all

I just received my engine cover. It looks great and I tried to install it last night.

What I thought would be 15 minutes took 1.5 hours and it's still counting.

I knew the mount holes for the existing hardware don't line up......yep, they basically all don't.....but I can get around these things.

What I have an issue with is the new cover doesn't seem to allow the lid to close as it touches the top of the cover? I'm going to do a bit more investigation tonight but nothing is fouling the bottom of the cover.

Has anyone installed a Seibon engine cover that can shed some light?

My engine has no super/turbo charger hardware getting in the way.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Take a picture and maybe try and point out some areas it's touching and maybe we can help.

Double check the dumb things like making sure you didn't leave some type of wrench or screw driver or something that's preventing it from closing as well. I know I've done it on other cars...

Firstly.....sorry for some weird words mixed in with my message....bloody autosuggest... :)

I'll take some pics on the weekend if my activities tonight don't resolve. Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, the cover is in and I can get my engine lid closed...........BUT, it's not without a number of compromises. Please refer to photos below and summary and please note that the holder/pole and clip is not installed in the photos below:

1) The engine cover needs to slightly bend so that lid can close
2) I cannot install either the engine cover holder/pole OR the clip as they hit the strut and air filter box respectively. These were fine with the oem cover.

I wish I could remove the black metal piece where I removed the rubber grommet as this would allow the cover to drop a little more and reduce bending to close the lid.

20130207202113medium.jpg

20130207202057medium.jpg

20130207202205medium.jpg

20130207202706medium.jpg

20130207202233medium.jpg

20130207202136medium.jpg

20130207202124medium.jpg

20130207202353medium.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Updated with pics

Last edited:
Mine fits like shit too. The prop holes don't line up and the prop hits my GruppeM airbox not allowing the lid to close all the way. I was looking forward to the engine cover, but am really surprised how poorly it fits.

It looks like your aftermarket strut bar is in the way, can you reinstall the stock bar to see if that works?

Brian
(BTW, we have the Jetz CF cover and it fits perfectly)

Last edited:
It looks like your aftermarket strut bar is in the way, can you reinstall the stock bar to see if that works?

Brian
+1 it looks like the strut bar is holding it up.

I've heard of bad fitment on Seibon parts before, (engine cover, wing & rear valance)

Brian

Hi Brian

The photos were taken without the holder/pole installed.

Unfortunately, the strut bar is around 1.5 inches lower than the black metal piece where the latch goes. So definitely not the culprit.

I'm just throwing this out their but maybe you have the x2 hinges installed backwards?

Apart from adjusting the hinge position slightly to match the cover mount holes....hinges weren't removed and bolted cover same way.

Keep thos ideas coming!!! :)

As I've said, I wish I could remove the black metal plate but I don'tthink it's possible as the latch mounts to this?

I think it's just poorly designed to be honest. If it recessed the mount for the prop/pole.....at least to compensate for the extra thickness of the cover.............AND....design the two sides to bend a little...it would have been much better.

I looked into this cover awhile back. Thank god I didnt buy it. the fitting on this suck. I hate having to modify anything I buy. if any of you guys want a brand new oem type R engine cover lmk, I have one still in box.

Hello all

I just received my engine cover. It looks great and I tried to install it last night.

What I thought would be 15 minutes took 1.5 hours and it's still counting.

I knew the mount holes for the existing hardware don't line up......yep, they basically all don't.....but I can get around these things.

What I have an issue with is the new cover doesn't seem to allow the lid to close as it touches the top of the cover? I'm going to do a bit more investigation tonight but nothing is fouling the bottom of the cover.

Has anyone installed a Seibon engine cover that can shed some light?

My engine has no super/turbo charger hardware getting in the way.

Thanks!

Seibon has been notified and they are aware of the issues as of yesterday. I will let you & gleibig know as soon as they come up with a solution. I am sorry for the inconvenience!

Mark @ PRIDE

Seibon has been notified and they are aware of the issues as of yesterday. I will let you & gleibig know as soon as they come up with a solution. I am sorry for the inconvenience!

Mark @ PRIDE

Mark has been responsive and great....bought my pride v2 off him and even with this issue, will not hesitate to buy of him again.

Sounds like a really nice piece of goods. ; - )

I was planning to get a Seibon engine cover. I think it looks nicer then the R style cover and much cheaper. I didn't buy one yet because I was focusing on paying off my car first. I would still like to get one down the road if the issues get fixed. Mark is a great guy who stands behind what he sells so I'm sure he will make sure the issues are fixed.

What he sells primarily are his Pride products and I have his exhaust with pride.

He is sorting this issue out for me with Seibon and his conduct to date puts him up there for me when it comes to vendors and i'm sure Mark will do what he can.

I agree, Mark is by far, the best with customer support.

What he sells primarily are his Pride products and I have his exhaust with pride.

He is sorting this issue out for me with Seibon and his conduct to date puts him up there for me when it comes to vendors and i'm sure Mark will do what he can.
Noisuf/gleibig, while I've never had any direct dealings with Mark, I'll certainly take your word that he and his company provide great customer service. Having said that, I'd respectfully submit that part of providing great customer service is not selling (or reselling) an engine cover that fits this poorly. Noisuf, I wish you the best of luck in getting this sorted and am very interested in how this is resolved.

Noisuf/gleibig, while I've never had any direct dealings with Mark, I'll certainly take your word that he and his company provide great customer service. Having said that, I'd respectfully submit that part of providing great customer service is not selling (or reselling) an engine cover that fits this poorly. Noisuf, I wish you the best of luck in getting this sorted and am very interested in how this is resolved.

I disagree. These were not his product. He was just trying to pass some savings on to us. I don't expect him to test fit everything he sends out. Heck, he doesn't even have to go back to Seibon on our behalf. I didn't ask him too, nor expect him too. The way I see it, is that if I have a problem with the Seibon part, I should take it up with Seibon. Mark is just going above and beyond.

My main problem with the part is the mounting holes for the prop are off. No biggie. I was going to just drill a new hole. I just don't like hanging out in the garage in the winter. ;-) The other problem with the prop arm is most likely due to the larger GruppeM intake I have.

My main problem with the part is the mounting holes for the prop are off. No biggie. I was going to just drill a new hole

Hey mate...I have the same problem. I resolved this by squeezing by prop mount (the half circle) to make the mount holes closer.

it's actually quite soft metal and can be bent back for the oem cover.

All this makes me wonder how long it will take for the cf to start delaminating and the mesh to sag. Anybody selling a nice Downforce cover at a good price?

Back