Seeking some Knowledgeable Advice

I'm just beginning my search in earnest for an NSX. I'm not that familiar with these cars, but have always wanted one. I'm used to leasing new Mercedes, BMWs and Audis. Trying to stop the wasting the money and settle in with a vehicle I can buy cash or with a small loan, update, improve and drive, that's fun.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
I'm wanting to spend anywhere between $26K to $32K and in looking have seen two types of NSXs that fit in this price range. 91-92s with min. mileage, 50 to 60K, or 94-95s with 98 to 125K. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
I've been reviewing the threads here which have been helpful. In the opinion of those of you knowledgeable of these vehicles, is there any advantage/disadvantage with buying one of the aforementioned categories over the other? I hope this isn't a dumb question, and if it is please forgive my neophyte stupidity. Any advice would be welcomed, thanks.

I don't think the NSX will keep you satisfied based on what you've said. I say that being sincere because you are used to leasing more modern cars with more modern features.

The most modern feature the NSX has is really power windows and door locks. With the NSX you have to be in love with its design and construction, driving feel, etc.

I would suggest getting a ride in one first and then base your decisions on whether this would be your weekend car, daily driver, etc.

Thanks for the response. Actually, I've ridden in several NSXs and always loved the exhilarating feeling of the car. Although the design is a bit antiquated, it was so far ahead when made that I still like it a lot. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I was actually considering a purchase just yesterday and was dissuaded by a thread here on Prime that made me aware of some information that the Carfax didn't show. This site is a wealth of information.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Thanks again for your advice...<o:p></o:p>

thats why I never lease, sure you get a new car every 3 years and follow the sheep of america with 3.5 million cars that look like every other car that drives down the road.

was at the mall today saw about 6 Lexus's all were the same color,
I noticed about 15 Audi's about 13 were silver/grey and about 2 were white.
saw more BMW's than any other car in the lot I was parked in
about 20+
same color issues black, silver, white.
its like im going crazy or seeing doubles, you think to yourself what sheep.

drive down the highway and choose any modern car and count how many you see in 1 mile prob 10 or more.

now same thing count how many NSX you pass in 1 mile, prob none.

same for any high end exotic, you never see them cuz they are weekend cars only.

now the NSX is that Exotic car but its daily driveable, will not break down on you, its made by honda

you never see them, anywhere you go you have to stop and talk to about 15 people before you can even get into your car. sometimes its a hassle but you learn to live with it and be nice to the people that can compliment a great looking car.

you dont see them saying " wow what a nice silver BMW you have " lol

most people that get an NSX love it to death. and if they ever want something faster or more option, aircooled seats and a gentlemens button,
but in the end they always come back to the NSX nothing is like it.

hope this helps in your choice.

I appreciate the input. Thanks...

Any opinion on the Newer more mileage vs. Older less mileage question?

That's what I really need to find out. Thanks again

Depends on what you want in the car. Sounds like by what you are coming from the '95/'96 may be a better choice. They have a targa top, power steering and passenger air bag which the '91/'92 doesn't have. I personally love the manual steering and stiffer chassis which is why I went with a '91 for my first NSX; when/if I decide I want a targa and power steering, I'll spring for an NA2. Also, as many here will agree, mileage should not be as big a factor as finding a well maintained car. Hope this helps, good luck!

Great response shawn. It all comes down to maintenance. You can buy a lower mileage nsx that had deferred maintenance for the same money as a higher mileage nsx with recent maintenance... Don't rush into buying, but also don't be to picky. There's some guys on here that have been looking for years.

^Like me.

Look for one with the best maintenance you can find. Steals pop up every so often. You can buy one that is cheap that may need some maintenance and you are good to go. It's entirely up to how comfortable you feel when you see it. For me, I don't care if the car isn't detailed or carpets are dirty or something... minor stuff. I just want to know that the major stuff was taken care of properly. Even if it's due for another major service, It's nice to know if the previous owner was on time with their scheduling and have priced their cars accordingly. I have met a few guys selling NSXs that have done this and I am grateful for their honesty.

You can decide if you want a targa or hardtop and then go from there. If you want a targa that will keep you in the '95+ range. Mileage isn't an issue with these cars. Maintenance just needs to be done (and it's not as tiresome as bmws, audis, mercedes). You won't have to constantly have to service the car.

I think you need to read this article about Used NSX's I usually post this for the " new guys "

its 4 pages of pure info.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/includes/htup_0810_acura_nsx_buyers_guide/index.html

just click this link and read. print it out and take with you to look at NSX's

you will thank me later.

High miles on an NSX isnt like your normal BMW. high miles NSX mean nothing. they will out live most people, inless you Turbo it. LOL thats another story though

For me, I didn't mind buying an older year (91) as it had relatively low mileage (52k) and was owned by two prior owners - both of which I was convinced took exceedingly good care of the car. Came with all documentation and service records. It is surely not my daily driver (although it could be), and I expect to hang on to her for a very long time.

Unless, of course, I come across a nice late model with low miles - for which I will gladly pay up :smile:

On many metrics the NSX is the best automobile I've ever owned. Good luck in your search! Jay

Last edited:
When I was looking, 4.5 years ago, I wanted a 95 or newer car, particularly an NA2, because:

I wanted the T-Top, I live in So Cal.
I did not like the two color combination.
In 95 Honda made some improvements to the car.
In 97 Honda increase the HP and made more improvements.

However, at that time, NA2's were mostly in the $40,00 and higher range, which was greater than my $35,000 budget. After being a bride’s maid a few times, and after 6 months of looking, I finally found the 95 red/tan automatic that I bought. I was not specifically looking for an auto, but the seller had just put a lot of money into the car, i.e., TB/WP replacement and several other repairs, and the addition of convenience modifications, that made the car very appealing and a good deal.

Anyway, the above were some of the more important factors that determined what car I would eventually purchase. I hope this helps in your quest.

Good luck,

Mario

Back