Seeking advice on R/C NSXs, please help!

After seeing several cool pictures of some of the 1/10th scale NSXs that are available by Tamiya, Kyosho and perhaps others, I've found my dormant RC itch to be reactivated. I raced offroad RC cars a decade ago and would like to get a road going NSX. I'd prefer battery powered as I have a background there but am not unwilling to consider a nitro powered car if the maintenance isn't too bad. Anyone with experience or info about the available R/C NSXs on the market today, your help is greatly appreciated. Also, if you know of a source for a lexan NSX body that would be great. Then I'll just need to figure out a good road chassis and put it all together. Thanks in advance.

As always, there's the FAQ:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Memoabilia/models/radio_control.htm

Unfortunately, Tamiya discountinued their stock, street NSX body. The readily available HPI NSX body looks kinda cartoonish in its dimensions. The Hotbodies NSX can be painted and trimmed to look close to stock. For the racecar bodies, I've personally seen both the Kyosho and Tamiya 1/10 Castrol Mugen NSXs and they both look great.

I was just think of doing this same thing the other day. I didn't even know this info was on Prime. I want to get a RC nitro hovercraft I can take jet-skiing with me first though.

edit: none of the links work
frown.gif

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 06 December 2002).]

Basically, what matters most is the chassis. RC companies when they release a new chassis, they offer it in many "body choices" or Lexan shells to be exact.

The cheapest setup for electric but with a great looking body would be a Tamiya Castrol Mugen NSX. About $90 at www.towerhobbies.com You'll need start up gear and when you're done, total should be around $150-175. If you plan on running a lot, consider a ball bearing set. The Tamiya bodies are roughly $35 street price. They have the Avex Dome Mugen NSX, Castrol Mugen, Mobil 1, Raybrig, Raybrig 2000, and Raybrig 2002 NSX. Expect about $50 for the Kyosho bodies. The Tamiya still look a bit better. Nitro cars are a lot more fun IMHO but I started out with a Tamiya electric and they're fun to build.

Number9, when are you coming out to RCCAR again and race?
wink.gif

I raced an NSX bodied (from HPI) RC car about two years ago. Had an absolute blast but sold everything b/c my main competition no longer participated. My chasis was a Yokomo MR4-TC. I was soooo addicted. I think I spent a little over 4K in one year on this hobby and I don't regret it a bit.

IMO, nitro cars are NOT more fun. They're finnicky, labor intensive, and require more driver skill to operate properly. They're quicker around the track the an AWD chasis but only when driven by an experienced driver.

FYI, Tamiya recently released a AWD F1 chasis with a Ferrari body. If I get back into it. I'm definitely getting that one.

[This message has been edited by Ponyboy (edited 06 December 2002).]

I had an MR4TC too. It actually taught me to become a better driver since it was more fragile than the other cars out there but it handled like it was on rails.

There are pros and cons to nitro vs. electric. I run both. I like nitro for the realism especially the sound, smell, and run time. And in a parking lot, the top end really shows with a 2 speed. But give me both to run on a track, I'll turn in faster lap times with the electric. Our tracks have a AWD F1 class now, its absolutely killer to see F1 cars instead of your usual touring cars go at it on the track.

Back