• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Secured Wireless Network

Okay, this may be a dumb question....but please entertain me. I setup my network and was plug and play. But I can't secured it to where only my laptop can link up with my desktop wireless. How do I do it? I used the smc disc that came along, and that sucker blocks my laptop access. grrrrrr

Any easy fix?

You can set up your router to only allow certain MACs access to the network (find out what the MAC id for your laptop is). You can also setup password access so that only someone using the right password can access your wireless. Use the phone support that comes with the router while you are in the free period & WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN so you aren't paying them again in 60 or 90 days. There should be a pdf users manual on the disc that comes with the router. Goodluck, these are a pain & the instructions are never thorough or simple.

your question is a little confusing. So are you saying that you have a desktop computer and a laptop computer and want both to talk to each other? Assuming you are running win xp. Make sure that the firewall is not turn on, on both system. To do so, click on start - control panel -firewall and turn that off.

Also at the control panel

click on tools (menu bar) - folder options - view tab. Scroll all the way down and uncheck, use simple file sharing.

As far as securing your wireless. You can enable WEP, WPA, or other secure wireless. You can also do the MAC identification.

to get your mac id, click on start - click run - type cmd. at the command prompt type ipconfig /all press enter. The mac address is the physical address of your wireless card. There can also be address of your network card as well, ignore that for now.

hope this helps.

Yes I am attempting to link up my laptop to desktop wirelessly. Everything works fine...the laptop talks to desktop. But once i insert the disc to desktop to set up the security following as instructed, it cuts off my wireless from the laptop. I had to reformat my computer twice to get it back to normal again. Now I am connect w/ no security. So anyone can just use my dsl wireless :( I hear that this is NOT safe?

The router should have its own setup that you access through the desktop. You need the URL, like http://192.168.123.254 or something like that. Once you're in you can go to the wireless setup and define an encryption code. Then set up the wireless card on the lappy with the same code. You can usually download the user manual for the router from the manufacturer's site, and it should have the default URL in it.

most routers default settings are:

192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

look at the manual for instructions on how to get into the router. Also some wireless card brands dont like different brand routers.

that is what i have. i logged in and did everything instructed, but the stupid thing cuts access to my laptop. What do i and where do i go to set my laptop to correlate?

Thanks again,

dainese51 said:
most routers default settings are:

192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

look at the manual for instructions on how to get into the router. Also some wireless card brands dont like different brand routers.

first find the ip address of your desktop.. to do so

click on start
click on run
type cmd
at command prompt type ipconfig

write down the ip address of your desktop computer.

now go to the laptop

click start
click run
type cmd
at command prompte type ping (ip number of desktop)
press enter

If you get a reply back then that's a good sign both system can see each other

Another thing you need to check out is on both desktop and laptop

right click on my computer
click on properties
click on computer name tab
click on change

make sure that both systems have the same workgroup name

call them both home.

If not, change them accordingly and reboot.

Afterwards,

click start
click run

type \\(desktop computer name)\c$

This will open up the main hard drive on your system.

If you get this far then both system sees each other.

If you want to secure your system...then go into your router and input the MAC address. Dont worry about WEP/WPA... go with mac address... it's easier.

Just wanted to drop a quick note to say......thank YOU!!!! I figured it out how to do it. It is done. I even called India and spoke with the tech for an hour with NO help. He wants me to check the back of my router and computer after I told him that my desktop has Internet access. I gave up after arguing and telling him that it is connected. Allllll I need is to set up security access. Anywho, thanks guys.

Back