Second inline fuel pump for Turbo kits

On turbo kits is it recommended to have a second inline fuel pump? or a back up pump?

No, just upgrade the stock pump

Even the stock pump is fine up to 400hp if the resistor is bypassed.

Many people like the "upgrade" to a walbro only to find they are not as reliable as stock.

It would all depend on your target HP #'s. Upgrading to the Walbro is good to about 600 hp (ballpark). Anything more than that and you will need to consider adding an additional pump as well as upgrading the fuel line size.

Can't go wrong with the Bosch. The OEM supra pump is good too and is a direct replacement. I think if my tank comes out , I may swap to a supra pump, just for peace of mind. If I ever go over 500whp, I will add an inline pump to that and maybe a surge tank.

Given the fact that I'm dreaming of 500hp and given the reliability concerns of the Walbro, I'm going with an in tank Bosch 044 fwiw.

I had an in tank 044 pump, it is REALLY loud. Loud enough that you can hear it when you are driving at 70 mph in 6th gear. I am over 600 rwhp using the Walbro although it is supplemented with Meth injection. Make sure that you upgrade your fuel lines, especially the line that connects the front and rear injector rails. Better yet, supply each rail separately.

Funny thing about the Bosch pump, it was sometimes REALLY loud, sometimes less loud. In the Noble, we use an 044 bump externally and it is wrapped to keep it quiet but still pretty loud.

I had an in tank 044 pump, it is REALLY loud. Loud enough that you can hear it when you are driving at 70 mph in 6th gear. I am over 600 rwhp using the Walbro although it is supplemented with Meth injection. Make sure that you upgrade your fuel lines, especially the line that connects the front and rear injector rails. Better yet, supply each rail separately.

Funny thing about the Bosch pump, it was sometimes REALLY loud, sometimes less loud. In the Noble, we use an 044 bump externally and it is wrapped to keep it quiet but still pretty loud.

Doh! I agonized over the walboro / 044 question and in the end went with the Bosch because I really only want to pull the tank once. Plus, they're prettier - especially if you polish them. Nothing but the best for the inside of MY gas tank!:rolleyes:

Hopefully it won't drive me crazy.

I must scream or die! -- and now -- again -- hark! louder! louder! louder! LOUDER!

:wink:

I have the Walbaro 255lph tank thats suppose to be good for 600 hp Correct? At 450 hp Would YOU put in a Second inline fuel pump?

You bet. I think that you should get the Aeromotive a1000 pump because if the Walbro fails, the Aeromotive would suffice.:tongue: In all seriousness, no.

Get a reverse light switch from a 92-00 civic or similar, cut the plug off and solder the two wires together, then simply plug it in place of the resistor - added bonus - if you have any accessories that you want to only run if the engine is running you can trigger a relay from here too.

In our experience, the Walbro 255 LPH pump is good up to about 600-620 wheel horsepower. It would likely be capable of more by upgrading the wiring going to the pump to allow increased current. In 500+ units sold, we have only seen one failure ever, and it was caused by contamination in the pump from the fuel tank.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/Walbro/

-- Chris

Back