Seat not moving forward/back... help needed for installer to proceed with carpet install pronto

Got a message from the installer who let me know that he has been unable to proceed with installation of the carpet as the drivers seat will not move forward and back to allow for seat removal (although the seatback does tilt ). Any help to get it out is appreciated and needed ASAP. Feel free to text/call if you can 5202714334 as it is getting close to NSXPO and the installer does NOT work Fridays. Thank you in advance!

When all else fails, check the fuse. Each motor has its own fuse and the driver's side is #19 for the forward - back motor. Chances are that if the fuse is blown its blown for a reason and a new fuse may blow just as quickly; but, it is always worth a try.

Depending on where your seats are in terms of forward / back, you might be able to remove the switch assembly and test the switches; but, if it comes to the motor the seat has to come out which means you have to be able to move the seat back and forth to access the mounting bolts to remove the seat which puts you into a Catch 22 situation if the motor is inoperative.

Take a look at the service manual page 20-38. The front mounting bolts for the seats face forward and should be moderately easy to get at with a ratchet wrench with a modest extension unless the seat is really far forward. The rear mounting bolts face up and are at the very back end of the track and as long as the seat is not all the way back, if you tilt the seat back forward I think you should be able to access those bolts. So, as long as the seat is not stuck at one extreme or the other I think you can probably access the mounting bolts. It may be inconvenient; but, doable.

If it turns out that the seat is positioned such that accessing one set of bolts is impossible, I suggest the following, neither of which has been tested by me.

If the seat is stuck fairly far forward, by tilting the back all the way forward you might be able to access the plastic ties that Honda uses to retain the cushions. If you can clip those ties you may be able to remove the bottom cushion or at least pivot it up from the front enough to allow access to the mounting bolts on the floor. Full disclosure, I removed the seat cushions about 12+ years ago; but, it was with the seats out of the car and I can't remember for sure whether snipping just those ties would allow you to remove or move the seat cushion enough to allow access to the mounting bolts because that was not what I was trying to do.

On one of my cars, the two worm screws that drive the seat bottom back and forth had exposed ends. Not a hex end; but, a tabbed end that you could turn with a very small crescent wrench. I don't have access to my NSX right now so I don't know whether it was the NSX with that feature. If the NSX has those exposed tab ends you might be able to move the seat back / forward by alternately turning each worm screw 1/2 - 1 turn at a time - sort of rocking the seat gradually forward / backward. Painful to do and very slow = very expensive if you are paying your installer $150/hr.

Last edited:
I assume you've already checked the fuse.

I believe you can remove the forward/back motor assembly with the seat in the car, but it won't be pleasant. And thats what you'll likely have to do. There's also little cover plates over the end of the worm drive screws that move the seat forward and back, and with the motor removed you should be able to turn these manually.

Edit: Old Guy beat me to it.

Removing the cushions will not give you any access to the bolts holding the seat into the car as far as I can remember. The front 2 bolts point forwards so should be accessible, but the rear ones will be a huge pain if the seat is on top of them.

Last edited:
Sometimes my passenger seat will not move but the tilt still works. I reach under and fiddle with the connector from the seat harness to the wiring harness while holding the seat switch and it will move the seat.

Back