Saw

Saw

Overall: ****
Acting: ***
Story: *****

I went into this movie expecting a lot. I had seen the previews for a while now, and I was expecting this movie to blow me away. I wasn’t disappointed, at least in the overall sense.
The story goes as follows, minus the parts that would give the plot twists away:
Two guys wake up in a grungy abandoned restroom somewhere. There is a dead body between them, and they are shackled to the pipes on either end of the room, separated from each other. They were placed there by a deranged man who enjoys watching as his victims try to escape from the trap they were put in, and make their choice to, as he puts it, “live or die”. The movie follows these two men and their plight, and how they put together what exactly they have to do to get free.
The only thing that was wrong with this movie was the acting by Leigh Whannell and Cary Elwes, the two men trapped in the abandoned bathroom. I just don’t think it was that great. I think they could have done their parts a lot better. At times I was actually wondering to myself if they were truly trying to make their parts suck that bad, although at other times they actually did a very decent job. The script also had a few pieces of comic relief. While these parts may have been necessary to break up the extremely dark and horrifying things that were taking place throughout the movie, they did seem to break up the suspenseful feeling at times, which I think would have been better left intact throughout the entire movie.
The story itself was very good, and continuously left me guessing what would be coming next. The plot twists throughout the movie are good and not all that obvious. The amount of gore is not over the top, but there is a good amount of “creepiness” and parts that make you cringe.
Overall, I think this is a great movie to watch if you are looking for a good creepy and suspenseful movie. It’s not really “scary” – I can liken the overall feeling to the movies “Silence of the Lambs” or “Hannibal”. I give it 4 out of 5 stars, and really only the acting in some spots keeps it from a 5.

Tyler

Really? Well maybe the bad acting was more of a problem for other people...I thought it was good

Back