[San Antonio] Three Sisters Run - Monday Sept 1

Anyone up for a drive first thing tomorrow morning?

I drove the Three Sisters with a pair of NSX last month, and it's a glorious run. I loathe mornings, but this is really worth waking up early for.

I'll be in front of Gold's Gym at 1604 and Bandera 6.28 AM tomorrow morning, and will leave promptly at 6.48 AM. Civil dawn departure is essential to beat the heat, literally and figuratively. Look for a titanium Elise if you'd like to join me!

Since this is an impromptu run without any advance planning, unless someone volunteers to fly lead with a radar detector, the drive may be slightly conservative. Feel free to pass along this invitation responsibly.

sounds good. i will try to make it. im calling some people right now to gauge interest.
Blaine

...reporting in...

...i ended up flying solo this morning, not unexpected due to the short notice, but i think i'm going to make this a regular monthly engagement with a bit more advance notice in the future...

...it's a very nice route, 260 miles and about four and a half hours driving conservatively, twisty with plenty of elevation changes, perfect for taking the lotus out the way it was meant to be driven...leaving at civil dawn (six degrees before sunrise) offered good visibility with nothing but running lights, and kept pleasantly cool and starkly empty roads nearly the entire way - it only started heating up and i only encountered other traffic on the return leg...

...keep your eyes open for next month's church of the three sisters!..

With enough head up I might be able to do it in the future. 6:xx am is a little tough when you have to drive an hour to get there though. I had a great run on Lime Creek road, got most of it out the way before all the boats headed to lake travis showed up.

Wow, 260 miles/four hours driving! Thats a good little run.:wink:

...four fourty-six elapsed time including stops, four eighteen net drive time including at least thirty minutes stuck behind assorted caravans of slow traffic on the return leg...

...actually, i'm surprised that i averaged as high as sixty miles per hour - wary of police looking for easy holiday revenue i didn't really push on the open straights at all, so this was a pretty conservative run...i estimate at least a third of the total drive time is unenforceable 20/30 marked twisties; i must have made up some time in those...

...when we ran the same route with the z group last month it took seven hours, although that included a lot more stopping...

With enough head up I might be able to do it in the future. 6:xx am is a little tough when you have to drive an hour to get there though.
...i took waypoint times to vanderpool and leakey for future reference - we could easily synchronise an austin group alongside a san antonio group to meet up at the head of the really interesting roads, and eliminate that extra lead time...

Last edited:
Back