Salvaged Title- Give the guy a break!

I just read the posts that were made concerning a salvaged NSX for sale. Just as an observer I noticed a lot of folks seem to jump the gun as to whether or not this was for real. While I have purchased a few salvaged vehicles over my life time I do not claim to be an expert in the matter. However, having said that you must consider the situation in which the car was damaged. Anytime mentioned his car being damaged and what it took to get it totalled. In that situation it was his fault (practicing at a track event). So naturally when your insurance company pays they are going to try and save as much as possible. If on the other hand someone hits you and their insurance company wants to settle, I have seen for a number of vehicles a very low threashold for value. As an example. I purchased a new at the time 95 Toyota Corola for my Mom. It was totaled due to a front end crash. I saw the car before it was repaired. It required a new hood, bumper cover and headlight, and grill. The airbag did not go off because it was a low impact. But the costs to repair were pretty cheap. As I recall I paid about $1500 on a car that was still new and sold for about $12000. So it depends on the situation, who the insurance company is, who was responsible for the accident, etcetera.

All I am saying is that I understand why the guy was so upset. Sure he could have provided more information. So could we have asked for more. The post does read like a bunch of old ladies who don't like what they see. Just my thoughts.

Manny

I just read the posts that were made concerning a salvaged NSX for sale. Just as an observer I noticed a lot of folks seem to jump the gun as to whether or not this was for real. While I have purchased a few salvaged vehicles over my life time I do not claim to be an expert in the matter. However, having said that you must consider the situation in which the car was damaged. Anytime mentioned his car being damaged and what it took to get it totalled. In that situation it was his fault (practicing at a track event). So naturally when your insurance company pays they are going to try and save as much as possible. If on the other hand someone hits you and their insurance company wants to settle, I have seen for a number of vehicles a very low threashold for value. As an example. I purchased a new at the time 95 Toyota Corola for my Mom. It was totaled due to a front end crash. I saw the car before it was repaired. It required a new hood, bumper cover and headlight, and grill. The airbag did not go off because it was a low impact. But the costs to repair were pretty cheap. As I recall I paid about $1500 on a car that was still new and sold for about $12000. So it depends on the situation, who the insurance company is, who was responsible for the accident, etcetera.

All I am saying is that I understand why the guy was so upset. Sure he could have provided more information. So could we have asked for more. The post does read like a bunch of old ladies who don't like what they see. Just my thoughts.

Manny

I agree that every salvage title car should be examined on a case-by-case basis and that if a car is damaged and repaired properly it should be considered 100%. But comparing a Corolla to an NSX or other luxury car is a bit apples and oranges.

In order to total a car with the value of an NSX or another luxury car the damages will be ostensibly greater in both scope and depth. IOW, to total even a 91 NSX would require nearly $20,000 in repairs. That's an awful lot of damage. The more damage the greater the chances the car is going to have issues which might never be 100% repairable.

You're also relying on a mechanic of unknown competence (in the eyes of a prospective buyer of a previously totalled vehicle) to have been able to discern all the damage to the vehicle. The more damage to the vehicle the greater the chance not all the damage will be discovered and therefore repaired.

That's what makes it a crapshoot IMO. A 95 Corolla might be totalled with just a smashed bumper, headlights, grille and hood. Not so for an NSX. So even if you consider the repairs and have proof the car was repaired you still have the uncertainty regarding exactly what was damaged and if the mechanic was competent. Again, $20,000+ in damage is no small feat and the possibility something was missed, fixed improperly or irreparable is fairly high with such extensive damage. As such, the price of a salvaged NSX (or virtually any car) must be adjusted appropriately to allow for such possibilities.

A seller can certainly hold out for a buyer who decides the car is worth the same as a non-salvaged car but there's always a fool with too much money who just doesn't care. The educated person will usually pass up a car like that if the salvaged state isn't reflected in the price. Again, it might be fine but I see it as nothing but a crapshoot. One never really knows what damage still lurks under the skin.

Since this is an NSX forum you're going to get a general negativity regarding a salvage title even though with some other, lower priced cars your point might be more valid and the concerns would be less warranted.

JMO.

Greetings
I had a car repaired when I was young that should have been totaled. I have seen cars repaired that have been amazing.

The real secret is to drive the car and observe how it functions. For a Targa -- remove the top and see if there is any additional wind noise. The ears will tell you if she is tracking true down the road -- you do need to know what a health car sounds like. I would take her up to 100 or so for a good test -- it should still handle well and feel firm on the road.
Then check the tires if they are not brand new and look at the wear. A messed up frame will usually cause them to wear funny.
Next look at the fit and finish of the body for ripples and dents. I would also go around the body tapping lightly listening for filler or fiberglass.
The real test is if the car passes these and you can sleep at night knowing that you love the car and you got a good deal, then don't worry about it.
Cheers
Martin

I spent 15 years as a car dealer and by nature stay away from salvage titles.

Few salvage title cars should be fixed. Once in a while you will get lucky but not an expensive car.

If your Corolla gets smashed there are plenty of parts out there and if you pay $5000 for a $10,000 car who cares if the fender doesn't fit perfectly or it eats tires but on a $20k plus sports car it is a bigger problem.

I did a 89 Supra years ago that was hit but wasn't a total. Budgeted $4K for parts an spent just over $5K. If I would have done this to make a profit I would have stopped at $4K.

It would have been ok but just not up to the standards of a car I have had since 1990.

I hope this is not a duplicate. But anyway here goes--as a scientist I was taught that "In God we trust, but everyone else bring data". Well as a consultant I still adhere to that basic philosophy, that is data is king. It would be really helpful if someone out there knew an insurance adjuster and could get their input on the following:

2002 NSX-T in Excellent Condition with 15,000 miles

Kelly Blue Book Retail ~$59,500
Kelly Blue Book Wholesale ~$48,500

1. The car is damaged in an accident and the other person is responsible and has insurance.

2. The car is damaged in an accident and the other person is responsible but does not have insurance. You do have insurance.

3. The car is damaged in an accident and it is your fault.

4. The car is caught in a rain storm and is completely covered with water for 24 hours.

What Dollar amount in damages would be necessary to salvage the title?

Thanks,
Manny

I hope this is not a duplicate. But anyway here goes--as a scientist I was taught that "In God we trust, but everyone else bring data". Well as a consultant I still adhere to that basic philosophy, that is data is king. It would be really helpful if someone out there knew an insurance adjuster and could get their input on the following:

2002 NSX-T in Excellent Condition with 15,000 miles

Kelly Blue Book Retail ~$59,500
Kelly Blue Book Wholesale ~$48,500

1. The car is damaged in an accident and the other person is responsible and has insurance.

2. The car is damaged in an accident and the other person is responsible but does not have insurance. You do have insurance.

3. The car is damaged in an accident and it is your fault.

4. The car is caught in a rain storm and is completely covered with water for 24 hours.

What Dollar amount in damages would be necessary to salvage the title?

Thanks,
Manny

It was many years ago I worked in insurance (total loss dept). I do not have exact figures, but I will let you in on what I know.

Most of the time, each total was on a case by case basis. It would depend on what the adjuster thought it would take to repair the car and the time and money that would have to be put out on our end. The insured would also play a roll in the settlement as well. If you had a 20 year client who wanted his car fixed, we would usually do it. If we had a 20 minute client that wanted his car fixed, that may be a different story.

Cases that were on the border would be referred to upper management. To total a luxury car (NSX, Mercedes, or any other high dollar car) we would also look at what the total will bring us from the salvage company that buys all the totalled cars. If the totalled NSX is worth 25K in parts (only an example) we would add that to the payout we are offering to see if we would total or not.

Hopefully that makes sense.

When a total is sold, fixed, and then registered and insured again as salvaged, the car is only worth half of KBB to an insurance company. If you plan to buy a salvaged car that has been repaired, and then you total it again, be prepared to get about half price (at most) of what it's worth. You need to be prepared for this if you pay say 50K for a salvaged car no matter how well it has been repaired or even if the damage was very slight.

Back