SakeBomb Garage Ohlins Installation notes and initial impression.

When I purchased my NSX in the summer of 2020, it had Bilstein dampers with OEM springs and Comptech adjustable sway bars. The handling was, of course, delightful. The two times I’ve had it at Lime Rock Park, once on the .5 mile “AutoX” course and the other on the main track, the car was composed and a pleasure to drive. Likewise, driving on a smooth surface was great. But on rough roads, particularly with the significant other onboard, the ride seemed unduly harsh.

After reviewing the options, I decided on the Grand Touring FP spec Ohlins DFV coilovers. I ordered them on June 18 and took delivery September 10th. The delay caused anxiety but I was able to get assurances they were being processed, as part of a busy work load.

I used this thread by member R13 to help guide me through the “2by4” coilover installation technique also found in the FAQ section.
As generally noted, fronts were much harder than the rears. I ended up taking off the speed sensor shield from the lower control arm and also the sway bar. And on one side, I had to raise the free length set ring (the lower most ring on the coilover) since it was contacting the A-arm and wouldn’t let me move the coilover bushing into the mount. The rears are much easier as you can slide the unit in from the back. I ended weighing the rears since, as with the fronts, they seemed much lighter. Rear Bilstein setup was 15 pounds while the Ohlins came in at 8.5. Good stuff!

IMG_8453.JPGIMG_8456.JPG

Measured from the floor to the fender, I had the following before and after numbers.

Bilsteins
Df – 24 ¾, Pf – 24 ½
Dr – 26, Pr – 25 7/8

Ohlins
Df – 25 ¾, Pf – 25 1/4
Dr – 25 7/8, Pr – 25 ¾

On the one hand, I wasn’t surprised that the Ohlins fronts were an inch taller than the Bilsteins based on what I’d read. But I was surprised that the rears came in at basically the same height, since the new units are shorter. (While the front units appeared the same length. Clearly springs make a difference.) I’m going to play with the pre-load for front height adjustment, following the clear suggestions from this thread by SakeBomb. https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/tj...omb-ohlins-on-his-nsx-barn-find-build.220710/ before doing an alignment (once I get the second coilover wrench from SakeBomb, that is. Second wrench was the only thing missing from the otherwise beautifully packaged box.
IMG_8446.JPGIMG_8452.JPG

I counted 32 clicks for each unit (could push to 34 but the end clicks didn’t feel as precise) set all four units to 16 clicks and went for a short drive. It was worth the wait. Firm without being harsh. Previously, when driving over a rough section of road, or hitting a bump, I’d occasionally get a loose change sound that seemed like it was coming from the passenger door. (So much so that I stuck an endoscope down between the window and door panel to see if anything obvious was down there. Nothing.) Anyway, same speed, same section of road that would cause the rattle, no rattling sound!

I am also psyched that all four units can be adjusted without removing anything. For the fronts, just push down on the plastic cover. For the rear, you can reach underneath. I’ve dialed them all back to 11 and am looking forward to going out for a longer drive.
IMG_8464.JPGIMG_8465.JPGIMG_8466.JPG

I do think I'll bring the front down .5 to an inch though. So far, at this very initial stage, real happy with these units. Can't wait to explore different settings.
IMG_8461.JPG

I'm at oem ride height , your rear looks lower than mine..I agree you should lower the front a tad. Search on prime for proper ride height measuring method, using the fender is imprecise.
I'm still impressed with the performance and smoothness.

Back