• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

sad to do this :(

As some of you know, I also have a MR2 Turbo and as much as I know I will regret it, she has to go. I have owned her for 5 years and always thought I would keep for at LEAST 10.

Has anyone here ever loved a car so much that you found it hard to let go? I feel that way. I have a MR2 I cant seem to let go despite the NSX being better in every way. I dont know why but I cant seem to let her go. But I just decided I will go forward with it and try not to look back.
I'm not going to lie, I do like walking into my garage and seeing two cars I could just imagine when I was a kid, pics of what im talking about.

I wanted to keep it but I decided I need to get in shape and will invest in converting 1/3 of my garage into a mini gym. Just some weights, bag, and a treadmill.

100_0740.jpg

Newest pic:
545030_417237281623807_100000126174264_1736344_509875164_n.jpg

DSC00479.jpg

She looks so good, even next to a NSX
2012-03-03_14-04-58_309.jpg

2012-03-03_14-07-03_437.jpg

Little test drive video I made.

http://youtu.be/5zMyA-HyE6g

Adrian, don't do it!!!!!!

Seriously, just join a local gym and enjoy the variety of equipment / eye candy at the gym!!

I don't have a home gym (I get bored of it after a while anyway). I go to my local gyms and when I travel (LA Fitness), and love the variety at the gyms.

It works!! Other people here will tell you how ripped I am... just do the local gym and not sell the MR2!!!

Keep the MR2 you'll regret it forever. I've had my NSX 9 years now and could never sell it at this point.

The gym is much cheaper at $20 a month :biggrin:

Then when you get tired of it the MR2 is still in the garage....

You will get bored with a home gym in 1-2weeks. By going to the gym, you have access to a variety of equipments. Plus, you will get more motivated when you see people around you working out. You will get much faster results at the gym than doing it at home.

Sell the mr2. It's just a car. You will get over it eventually. Nothing is forever.

As a former (93, modified turbo) MR2 owner, I just want to say I recognize a lot of mods on your car... sideskirts, wing, intakes by the rear windows, looks like some interior pieces... wow. a great car!

I always thought, and always will think, that the MR2 is one of the best cars ever... and so few people know much about it. And it is so bullet-proof and reliable. It's a Toyota!

But... something that might help you feel better: I love doing mods on cars... it's just part of the fun, making it better, or something that reflects my take on things. I think you might be close to running out of the mod bug for the MR2... and it is now time to mod the NSX, make it yours, make it perform, make it look like you want. That's what I did, and I'm still not done with the NSX... soooo... sell the MR2 and mod the NSX with the same enthusiasm that you did with the MR2.

Also... really? a gym in your garage? maybe more power tools, or work room for wrenching, or let your partner park, or a guest or something.....

cheers,
--bruce

Adrian

Home gyms are a waste of money
I had one in my garage and I always found a excuse to not use it
In the summer it was too hot..winters my excuse was its too cold.
Do what u want with ur mr2 but save urself the headache and just join a gym
U get to use all the amenities, it's climate controlled, u get motivation from the people around you, and there is unlimited pu%#y there.

Zaid

As a former (93, modified turbo) MR2 owner, I just want to say I recognize a lot of mods on your car... sideskirts, wing, intakes by the rear windows, looks like some interior pieces... wow. a great car!

I always thought, and always will think, that the MR2 is one of the best cars ever... and so few people know much about it. And it is so bullet-proof and reliable. It's a Toyota!

But... something that might help you feel better: I love doing mods on cars... it's just part of the fun, making it better, or something that reflects my take on things. I think you might be close to running out of the mod bug for the MR2... and it is now time to mod the NSX, make it yours, make it perform, make it look like you want. That's what I did, and I'm still not done with the NSX... soooo... sell the MR2 and mod the NSX with the same enthusiasm that you did with the MR2.

Also... really? a gym in your garage? maybe more power tools, or work room for wrenching, or let your partner park, or a guest or something.....

cheers,
--bruce

Nice, seems like many here owned a MR2 before.
Here is mod list/details on it. Lots of work into her but I just need the garage space.

1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo T-Top
Clean title
124K Original Miles, never swapped, turbo has been rebuilt
A/C and P/S

Exterior:
- Toyota Metallic Silver Paint
- GReddy Front Lip
- GReddy Side Skirts
- Toms Rear Bumper
- Bomex Scoops
- Bomex Drift Wing
- JDM OEM 94+ Tail Lights w/Amber Inserts
- JDM OEM Clear Corners
- JDM OEM H4 Headlight Conversion

Suspension/Wheels:
- Cusco Comp-zero Coilover with Cusco Pillowball Mounts
- Mackin Industries Black Lug Nuts
- Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors(Front)
- New rear wheel studs

Engine:
- Greddy Intercooler with 8" Permocool IC Fan
- Greddy blow off valve
- Apexi Intake
- Fuel Cut Defender (adjustable, currently set at 17psi cutoff)
- ProZ MBC
- Greddy Power Extreme Exhaust
- KO Racing 3’ Downpipe
- Centerforce Stage 1 Clutch
- Chromed 3SGTE Valve Cover
- TRD Radiator cap
- TRD Oil Cap
- KO Racing Engine Lid W/ 2 Spal Fans
Sound:
- Alpine 7894 MP3 player
- JBL 6.5" Components with 1" Tweeter

Interior:
- Sparco Torino Seats(Black/Silver)
- Toyota Celica GTS Steering Wheel
- GReddy 60MM Peak/Warning Boost Gauge on A-Pillar Pod
- Blitz Full Auto Turbo Timer
- JDM MR2 Door Sills
- Sakuragi's SPL Shift Boot

I would say she would put up a fight with some CTSC's. She gets as much attention when I drive her just as much as the NSX.

someone just emailed me asking to trade for this:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2979880612.html

When I didnt have the NSX, I would not consider it since I wanted something collectible and fast. But now that I have the NSX and I gave my girl my Honda Fit Sport (current DD is a CRX) I think I will trade and use the MR-S as a DD and get rid of CRX HF.

What do you guys think?

Adrian, don't do it!!!!!!

Seriously, just join a local gym and enjoy the variety of equipment / eye candy at the gym!!

I don't have a home gym (I get bored of it after a while anyway). I go to my local gyms and when I travel (LA Fitness), and love the variety at the gyms.

It works!! Other people here will tell you how ripped I am... just do the local gym and not sell the MR2!!!

You will get bored with a home gym in 1-2weeks. By going to the gym, you have access to a variety of equipments. Plus, you will get more motivated when you see people around you working out. You will get much faster results at the gym than doing it at home.
+1.

Adrian, your MR2 looks incredible. As much as I would love to own one, I think a gym membership is probably the better option for you. If you're serious about working out, driving to the gym shouldn't be a deal breaker, and has the benefits mentioned above. Once you've developed a habit of working out, then you can think about getting a home gym if you truly find the commute to the gym unbearable. Baby steps. If you're not into working out, the home gym is just going to turn into an expensive collection of clutter in your garage.

I've had my gym membership for 13 years, and go at least 3 times a week (I wouldn't describe myself as a gym rat though). I haven't had a workout partner for the last 6 years. As much as I hate working out sometimes, I am always glad that I went afterward. I would not be happy with a home gym. Having access to the huge selection of equipment, plus seeing other people makes it easier to get through my workout.

It's all in your head. If you really want to do it, you will find the way and the time to do it. Pick a gym near your house or between your house and work place. That way you can head to the gym directly after work and then go home. Work great for me.

Btw, I wouldn't trade your mr2 and sell the crx. My guess is the crx is probably worth less than your mr2. So by swapping DD, you will end up with less money in your pocket instead of selling your mr2 outright. You have the nsx for fun drive, so you don't need a fun DD.
It's just a basic transportation to get you to work and back and some errands.

Everyone makes great points. I might consider a gym but I worry I won't go because I would have to drive there as opposed to walking to garage.

I wouldn't sell the MR2 either. I used to own a white one just like yours and if I could I would have my old MR2 in my garage next to my NSX. Like others say get a membership. If your paying for it you'll want to go more, and once you get to the gym it's easier to work out than walking down to the garage to do a few work outs on a machine. Plus a gym has more of a variety of equipment.

If you want to lose weight, then yeah, join a cardio class at a gym. If you want to just lift and bang the crap out of the heavy bag, a home gym is fine. I simply don't like to drive in heavy traffic (a weekend morning on an empty freeway in the NSX is different). Because of this, I've equiped a nice home gym. More and more studies have shown that barbells, kettlebells, and dumbells are way better than machines, so the argument of the gym having more equipment is negated....Most gyms have a limited number of free weights anyway, and they are constantly being monopolized during peak hours.
Again, if you want to lose weight.....a cardio class at a gym is the way to go. If not, stay at home, lift, then flex in front of your bathroom mirror :biggrin:.

If you want to lose weight, then yeah, join a cardio class at a gym. If you want to just lift and bang the crap out of the heavy bag, a home gym is fine. I simply don't like to drive in heavy traffic (a weekend morning on an empty freeway in the NSX is different). Because of this, I've equiped a nice home gym. More and more studies have shown that barbells, kettlebells, and dumbells are way better than machines, so the argument of the gym having more equipment is negated....Most gyms have a limited number of free weights anyway, and they are constantly being monopolized during peak hours.
Again, if you want to lose weight.....a cardio class at a gym is the way to go. If not, stay at home, lift, then flex in front of your bathroom mirror :biggrin:.

I used to be way into cross traiing, running and lifting. Believe it or not, I used to be in great shape and I have always preffered free weights.

I first want to lose weight with cardio and then into cross training.

I will be leaving here in a few minutes to meet up with the owner of the MR-S to maybe trade for my MR2 Turbo. Im on the fence since my car is waaaaaaaaaay more fun (decided to take her out last night to deserted road and do some runs, donuts and oh my). But I will be open minded. I will be at The Bass Pro Shops at noon.

Yes. Sold my LS1 Chevelle a couple of months ago. Never thought i'd sell it. It was a labor of love. I knew every nut and bolt on that car.

I don't regret it though since it went to retired sheriff and she's in a much better home now.

Sell it and move on. It's nice to change it up every so often.

Hello Ms. Badass :cool: Daddy misses you.
2010-04-17-026.jpg

I'm sorry if you've already answered this question since I didn't read every post but why not just park the MR2 in the driveway? I have a three-car garage and keep my Crosstour in the driveway for the same reason you're talking about. I have a home gym in one stall and love it that way. I use it twice a week and have since I bought it in 1997. I park my Crosstour in front of the door with the home gym so I can do weights with the door up and see out but not be seen so much.

IMG_6067gym-1.jpg

IMG_6253111211Gym_NSX.jpg

IMG_6254111211Garage.jpg

IMG_4215110707AllBlueHondas.jpg

Last edited:
It is kinda amazing how similar all of our garages look!
Same cars, same posters, same toys..

Kinda strange in a way!

It is kinda amazing how similar all of our garages look!
Same cars, same posters, same toys..

Kinda strange in a way!

^Yeah, we have Les (LMR) to thank for those cool NSX posters. He just made a lot of them to share. Very generous of him!

Sell the Mr2

Invest that money in making your NSX perform and look better

DD the CRX

Join me at LA fitness 8 days a week so you can look like this again

zl5aqb.png

I know I will get a lot of shit on my decision because the MR2 Turbo is considered the best out of the MR2's but I went ahead and made a trade for a 2001 MR2 Spyder.
I know its not what the SW20 and its slow, but I do like it because its newer, reliable, easy driveability, good MPG's. Yes, the other came out on top since I gave him my Volks, but I dont care. Now I can sell the CRX and DD this (with AC).
Flame suit on.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Flame suit on.

No flames here! You did what was right for you.

And, this way once you lose the CRX you are 100% mid engine on your daily and your NSX! Not many people can say that. :smile:

I know I will get a lot of shit on my decision because the MR2 Turbo is considered the best out of the MR2's but I went ahead and made a trade for a 2001 MR2 Spyder.
I know its not what the SW20 and its slow, but I do like it because its newer, reliable, easy driveability, good MPG's. Yes, the other came out on top since I gave him my Volks, but I dont care. Now I can sell the CRX and DD this (with AC).
Flame suit on.
I can't say my heart didn't sink when I read this but i've been your shoes before when practicality needs to take precedence. Having said that, my buddy would have probably made a good offer on your MR2!

I have no idea on the condition of your CRX. Chances are it's pristene. If not, PM me some info on it. We're looking for a lemons car to race with.

I'm going to flame you because the MR2 spyder is NOT a real MR2, it's a wanna be MR2.:wink: You went from the mother of all MR2's to a....... But from a practical stand point I understand why.

Back