S2000 way under rated??

I read this today on VTEC.net. I am sure some of you have seen it, but I found it pretty interesting.

"With the beautiful white on tan 04 bolted to the dyno, intake and coolant temps were checked, 4th gear was engaged and 2 passes were made. The results? 245 and 243 whp. All with about 700 miles on the odometer. "

This is putting out more HP than 91-94 NSX's.

read more here:

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?page_number=4&article_id=171514

Hmmm, interesting, but I think more 04's would have to be tested just to be sure. Also, what RPM is that 245 hp at, probably redline I assume. And the car still has low torque. I destroyed an S2000 earlier and I dont think another 20 hp would make up for multiple car lenghts

In conclusion, NSX > S2000 :D

This is an actual dyno comparing the 2.2L and the 2.0L, peak power aside the NSX has a much more useful powerband under the curve.

dyno.jpg

Stock S2000 racing against a stock 92-96 NSX NSX and comes out victorious - how ludicrous. It doesn't even have a chance.

The S2000 they recieved was probably touched up a little by honda. if you search the s2ki forums, people who bought the 2.2l dynoed their cars and the 04 s2k's didn't have much hp gain over the 2.0's

NetViper said:
I read this today on VTEC.net. I am sure some of you have seen it, but I found it pretty interesting.

"With the beautiful white on tan 04 bolted to the dyno, intake and coolant temps were checked, 4th gear was engaged and 2 passes were made. The results? 245 and 243 whp. All with about 700 miles on the odometer. "

What conversion rate are they using between RWHP and engine HP? A +/-2% in this ratio will do wonders on the result! :)

Since I am pretty sure the dyno did not "Measure" 245 hp. This is the estimation at the engine, or am I wrong?

Aren't the 2.2l S2000 also 240hp?

http://www.hondacars.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=S2000

It seems the case at Honda's website.

245hp is the crank-shaft hp figure, not the rwhp figure, which is what cars are measured for on the dyno. Big difference, and 'no,' the S200 can't reach the 91 NSX's hp figure, even at the crank-shaft level, which is 270 vs 245, in favor of the NSX.

From the dyno's posted here there is no question that a 91-96 NSX would toast any S2000.

Last edited:
They are talking about 243-245 whp(this is wheel horse power not crank. Thus a 2004 S2000 is making alot more at the crank. In a stop-go drag race the nsx will still win ofcourse because it has more torgue because its a V6. Looking at the dyno chart if it was a race on the roll it might be a different story.

They dyno the media car and also a normal consumer from "Backcracker" of S2Ki.com. So they did test 2 cars and they also put a new ecu in the media car just in case there was a ecu upgrade by honda. With new ecu it was the rating.

Hmm, then i might have made a mistake. What is the hp figure for the 2004 S2000 in all the magazines? From a roll, the S would really be in bad shape against the NSX - as I have done rolled with C5's, SS's and M3's. Didn't lose to one of them, but didn't beat them that bad neither. All I did was lighten my car up by about 100lbs and throw in an intake, plus an exhaust. And all those cars supposed to have lots more torque and hp.

All the mags quote no change in hp just tq. Oh, I don't think the S2000 will win on the roll but I don't think the NSX will blow them away any more. Guess I didn't make it clear.

Not blow them away, but the NSX will win everytime with everything being equal.

Let's clear up a couple of things.

1) Honda quotes both the 2.0L S2000 and the new 2.2L S2000 as making 240bhp.
2) Shawn (Ultimate Lurker on S2Ki.com) is a respected member of that board that dynoed one of the early 2.2L S2000's when Temple of VTEC had a press car. That car made signifcantly more hp than expected. So much so that it was rumored that Honda had sent TOV a "hot" car.
3) Shawn was sensitive to speculation and wanted to see if he did test a hot car, so he tested a relatively fresh and not fully broken in car that a different member of S2ki.com (BackCracker - another long time member of that board and moderater of a few forums) personally owns. That car also makes significantly more hp than the older 2.0L S2K's did.
4) In a rolling start, say 5-60 mph, the S2K will not be as quick as an NSX (even a 3.0L). Same driver, same day, the NSX should pull on the S2K every time.
5) In a drag race, things are more difficult to say for certain. Given the S2K's lower weight, more aggressive gearing (a 6 speed gearbox), and a willingness to fry your clutch, the S2K might or might not beat a 3.0L NSX to 60. A 3.2L car should be quicker but a 3.0L car would be a interesting race (everything else being equal).
6) None of the mag's, nor Honda quote that the 2.2L car makes any more power than the 2.0L car. That's perhaps the reason that TOV, Shawn Church and S2Ki.com are so interested in seeing if Honda perhaps understated the power of the motor.
7) TOV also believes that Honda has understated the hp ratings of some of its other newer cars (the new TL, for instance) in an effort to not have egg on the face, a la Mazda with the Miata and now RX-8.

Back