S2000 Sold - NSX for Next ?

Hi All

I've just sold my S2000 and Im looking for a new motor.
I've come accross a 98 3.2 Targa and Im wondering wether to get it.

My Concerns are:

---Performance not as good as a new design car, e.g. SuperCharged S2000, BoxsterS, M3
--Is the Targa a bit of a 'bendy' car
--Its done 50K miles, all commuting by the look of it... Is ther engine as reliable as I think (100-150K easy)??

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Tuney

tuney said:
Hi All

I've just sold my S2000 and Im looking for a new motor.
I've come accross a 98 3.2 Targa and Im wondering wether to get it.

My Concerns are:

---Performance not as good as a new design car, e.g. SuperCharged S2000, BoxsterS, M3
--Is the Targa a bit of a 'bendy' car
--Its done 50K miles, all commuting by the look of it... Is ther engine as reliable as I think (100-150K easy)??

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Tuney

The S2000 is not supercharged, and it it was, the performance would maybe match the NSX in a straight line. (SCC just tested a centrifugal SC on an S2000, 5.7 0-60 MPH.) In the turns, I don't know. S2000 is a nice turner, but the NSX is super.

As far as reliability, read this post:http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17203

Of course this doesn't prove anything, but it's nice to know.

Go for the NSX!

Re: Re: S2000 Sold - NSX for Next ?

BITeR said:
The S2000 is not supercharged, and it it was, the performance would maybe match the NSX in a straight line. (SCC just tested a centrifugal SC on an S2000, 5.7 0-60 MPH.) In the turns, I don't know. S2000 is a nice turner, but the NSX is super.

As far as reliability, read this post:http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17203

Of course this doesn't prove anything, but it's nice to know.

Go for the NSX!

Thanks for the info BITeR

I know the standard S2000 isn't supercharged, but I know that a SC S2000 can make close to 400bhp and they are a LOT faster than 5.7 0-60 a:D and reliability is still nop notch.

The S2k I just sold could run 5.3-5.4 0-60 with just a Mugen Exhaust , manifold, Intake and V-AFC, and with a few suspension mods it handles on rails(The brakes are a bit pants though).

Anyway, performace in a line isnt what really matters to me, Im just concerned that there are cars out there for the same price which could give the NSX a spanking, and the thought of buying one and being a bit dissapointed would annoy me a bit ;)

Cheers
Tuney

How much are you getting the NSX for?

Sure there are newer(and older) cars out there that are faster than an NSX, and that's ok. The NSX is a marvel on its own, and it doesn't have to be the fastest car out there to prove it.

Good Luck :)

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: S2000 Sold - NSX for Next ?

tuney said:
Thanks for the info BITeR

I know the standard S2000 isn't supercharged, but I know that a SC S2000 can make close to 400bhp and they are a LOT faster than 5.7 0-60 a:D and reliability is still nop notch.

The S2k I just sold could run 5.3-5.4 0-60 with just a Mugen Exhaust , manifold, Intake and V-AFC, and with a few suspension mods it handles on rails(The brakes are a bit pants though).

Anyway, performace in a line isnt what really matters to me, Im just concerned that there are cars out there for the same price which could give the NSX a spanking, and the thought of buying one and being a bit dissapointed would annoy me a bit ;)

Cheers
Tuney

The one in SCC made around 300 at the wheels if I remember correctly. Their test numbers are usually uncorrected (for temp, sea level ect.) and "as tested" in southern california. And reliability IS affected on a SC S2000, trust me.

And yes, there are cheaper cars out there that will spank the NSX in some areas. UK Impezas and Lancers will give it a god run, but they're SEDANs and ugly and will depreciate much quicker than the NSX. So cheap isn't always cheap.
Go and test drive one and tell us what you think.
||
cheers

Veleno said:
How much are you getting the NSX for?

Sure there are newer(and older) cars out there that are faster than an NSX, and that's ok. The NSX is a marvel on its own, and it doesn't have to be the fastest car out there to prove it.

Good Luck :)

That's what Im hoping..

Its going for about 30K GBP...sounds like a pretty good deal.

I'd say that, right out of the box, that a stock NSX is not a super performance car, but rather, a high performance car with LOTS of headroom to support more power. Unlike just about ANYTHING else, you could add another 100-125 HP by putting a supercharger on it, and the rest of the car would be capable of safely supporting the added HP without other mods - although I'd put more rubber on the ground if I had it up near 400 HP.

As for engine reliability, I'd say that if you didn't race the car, and it saw proper maintenance over it's whole life, than 200-250K miles is not at all out of the range one should expect from the engine.

The NSX is underpowered relative to the rest of it's capabilities, when viewed strictly as a race car. But for use as an ultra fast but otherwise entirely pragmatic exotic luxury sports car, it is unmatched by anything else.

dougjgreen said:
I'd say that, right out of the box, that a stock NSX is not a super performance car, but rather, a high performance car with LOTS of headroom to support more power. Unlike just about ANYTHING else, you could add another 100-125 HP by putting a supercharger on it, and the rest of the car would be capable of safely supporting the added HP without other mods - although I'd put more rubber on the ground if I had it up near 400 HP.

As for engine reliability, I'd say that if you didn't race the car, and it saw proper maintenance over it's whole life, than 200-250K miles is not at all out of the range one should expect from the engine.

The NSX is underpowered relative to the rest of it's capabilities, when viewed strictly as a race car. But for use as an ultra fast but otherwise entirely pragmatic exotic luxury sports car, it is unmatched by anything else.

Sweeeeet :p Thanks

tuney said:
(The brakes are a bit pants though).

LOL! No quite sure what that means, but it sounds funny to my american ears! :p

Anyway, I guess an S2K can be modded to be as fast as a NSX, but I'm not sure how that's going to affect engine life. Stock, the Boxster S (5.7sec 0-60 per Road & Track), is not even close to a 98 NSX performance-wise, and a new M3 is about even in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

Anyway, just drive the NSX and see how it feels. I bet you will end up looking like this guy --> :D

Dave

tuney said:

What S2000 supercharger kit are you referring to?? The ones I've seen make more like 330 HP (at the crank, not the wheels) and use centrifugal blowers so all the added power is at the top-end, almost nothing down low where the car needs it the most (on the street at least).

Re: Re: Re: Re: S2000 Sold - NSX for Next ?

Lud said:
What S2000 supercharger kit are you referring to?? The ones I've seen make more like 330 HP (at the crank, not the wheels) and use centrifugal blowers so all the added power is at the top-end, almost nothing down low where the car needs it the most (on the street at least).

The most commonly used S/C's for the S2k are the Comptech and the Vortech unit. Neither of which make anywhere near 400hp without serious mod's. The majority of the dyno sheets that I've seen as S2Ki.com from owners show about 300 bhp (at the rears). Not bad considering the stock motor makes about 210-220 at the rears.

You are, of course, correct about the nature of the centrifugal blower and that it makes the majority of the difference at the top end of the tach.

The problem with magazine racing (ie getting too tied up in quoated 0-60 times), especially as it relates to the S2000 is that you can get a huge variance in times by seemingly small things such as tire condition, clutch condition, altitude, etc.

I know that many mag's have gotten mid to low 5's from the S. I'm unwilling to say that I could do the same. Frankly, I don't think the car was designed for that and I'm not willing to have to worry about putting a new clutch in it every year or blowing up my rear end. But... I know from personal runs on the Gtech that I can consistenly get high 5's to very low 6's (5.8 - 6.1) all day long.

That leads me to believe that if I were to do a simple final drive change (4.44's reportedly take almost a 1/2 off the quarter mile times on the S and make the car tremendously more flexible in street driving) I'd make much better numbers. Similarily, I've seen a stock S2K get pummeled repeatedly by and S/C so I know that would make a huge difference.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread.

IMO, and only MO, there are a ton of cars both new and used that will out perform an NSX in almost every performance category imaginable. The Z06 is quicker. The EVO stops much better. You get the picture. But that's all magazine racing and who really gives a rat's ass?

There are few cars (even at the elevated price of a new NSX) that offer the level of refinement, durability and capability that the NSX delivers. Sure its and older design but you know what? It still works.

Finally, the NSX-T is more bendy than the coupe. In my experience the difference is most notable with the targa piece removed. But its still a very stiff car.

As for targas being "bendy" ,if the roof is off there is cowl shake ,which many confuse with the idea of torsional frame twisting.I don't think there is enough deformation to register on the butt-ometer,again cowl shake is a different animal and is noticible.That said the targa is not the ideal track platform vs coupe but I find no significant detrimental performance on track with my 96.I have some on track fotos were the unweighted wheel is nearly off the ground which is a crude, cheap way of gauging chassis stiffness.

Back