s2000 rear end knowledge in Austin?

Hey guys,

My AP2 with 37k miles is making a very unpleasant noise from the rear end upon engaging the clutch. You don't want to know how many hours I've spent under my car port in my apartment complex parking lot screwing with it. Let's say it has a lot of new parts, about half of which it actually needed. I literally sold my daily the day before the S started giving me issues so I'm having to ride the RC51 everywhere til it's fixed.

Unfortunately my close friend who knows cars better than me is out of town for a while. I've been relegated to propping my iphone where it can take video of the rear end while giving the car gas on jack stands and trying to analyze the footage.

The noise is pretty terrible so I'm hoping it will be easy for someone with the ability to actually look at it to discern if it's an axle etc. or coming directly from the differential. I really don't mind taking it to a shop if it's something minor but no way I'm paying $x,000 for a differential replacement when I can DIY if that is indeed what's damaged.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I live right by Taco Deli off Barton Skyway and mopac so free tacos to anyone willing to spend a couple minutes taking a look (TD closes at 3pm, you've been warned!). No wrenching or getting dirty necessary. [email protected].

-Steve

Last edited:
Silly, but does the Diff actually have the correct amount of fluid, and the correct type of fluid?

Have you changed out the exhaust system with something aftermarket? (Some exhausts actually rub on the driveshaft that I have seen, causing unwanted noises...)
Are all of the axle bolts tight to the inboard joints nearest the diff?

Diffs don't just all of a sudden fail, it would be likely the symptoms would show long before it goes out.

Last edited:
Back