S03 PP owners

I bought S03 PPs last year when I changed my wheels. Since then I have driven about 12,000 miles and had 3 track days. Right now the rears are just about on the wear indicators, and the fronts are about 1/16 of an inch away from the indicators. The tires have worn perfectly, no excessive wear anywhere on the edges.

Is this normal wear?? Should I be expecting to change my tires every year, or more then that if I track the car more? As it is I plan on having 4 more track days this year, and there is no way these tires are gonna make it.

Also, if that's the case does anyone have any other suggestions for possible cheaper alternatives? My sizes are ....

RR 265/35r18
FR 215/40r17

I really love these tires, but damn I'm killing them!!

Thanks,
-John

12K mile for a set of S03's...

Thats pretty good in my book, i get about 6500 miles out of a rear set S03's (275x18). Front doesn't seem to wear that much, i don't do trackdays.

Can't comment on any other choices, since we get a different mix here in Europe then you guys get in the US.

Mich

Im running on the Cooper Zeons and they are holding up great. Ive put about 4500 miles on them and they look brand new. My car is slammed and I dont drive easy at all. The temp here in Houston is about 100 right now if thats any kind of factor.

Just like Mich said 12,000 miles is REALLY good.
i have simular wearing as Mich, the rear wear out really fast and the front last really long. I think the rear are wearing 3 times faster than the front on my car.
Toyo T1S will be my next choice to replace my S03s. they're decent tires, not cheap tho.

Yes, 12,000 miles on a set of rear tires is outstanding. If you're concerned about tread life, just keep doing what you're doing!

I agree with the above John,you have gotten good life out of those rears,esp with 3 track days included,plus I have a good idea how hard you push on the street;) I would continue with a new set of tires.

I went through 2 sets of rears last year, I got about 7000km per set. I beat on my car, and it has -2 camber on the rear.

That's really good.
I put brand new S03 rears on my car in Nov 2003.
They were just replaced last week and they were completely bald.
I estimate about 6,000 miles.
I had about 10 track days during that period.

I have S03's on my 17/18's. I was debating between going with the S03's or RA1 for next round. How much faster(2 secs? 3 secs?) are the RA1's on the track. Obviously, the RA1's wont last as long as the S03's. Therefore, I am weighing the Pro's/Con's

That's exactly the combo I run.
At Barber last weekend, my best time improved by 10 seconds per lap with the RA-1's. Keep in mind that 11 months had passed during which my driving improved somewhat.

I'd venture to guess they are good for 5+ seconds on a 2.5 mile track.

Bottom Line : The RA-1's are SIGNIFICANTLY faster than Bridgestone S03's.

Also, the "number of seconds faster" depends on the length of the track.

Last edited:
You got awesome wear out of those tires! My SO-3's are about 1/4 worn and I have 2000 miles on them.:confused:

Hi

I only got 6'000 km on the rear S-03 without driving them really hard (I'm a Sunday driver with sometimes redline second gear accelerating :)). On another set of S-03 I got 11'000 km. With Michelin Pilot Sport tire wear is much slower but performance too :(. The alignment is set to OEM but I think I'll let correct this to save some set of tires :)

Do you know what alignment specs you have your car set at by chance? So far I think the last set of S0-3's got maybe 5000 miles on the rears (bought the car with unknown but were installed in the spring). I'm now going through my second set of rears and am curious what you have your car aligned at.

j14nsx said:
I get four track days from a set of S03PP's, with negligible road use apart from driving to the track, and short road tests.
Let me understand this correctly. You are saying that you started with a set of BRAND NEW S-03 Pole Position tires, you drive relatively few miles to and from the track (say, a total of under 500 road miles total that way), you drove four track days - each with approximately 100-150 actual track miles on them. So you drove a total of no more than 400-600 track miles, and 500 non-track miles. And at the end of that, the tires were worn down to the treadwear indicator bars (when the tread is 2/32") across the entire width of the tread. Is that correct?

That's much faster tread wear than even the fastest-wearing track tires (R compound). Sorry, but I find this difficult to believe.

To answer some questions....

The more and more I think about it I'm certain I put around 12-13K on my S03s with 3 track days (2 @ WGI & 1 @ Pocono). My rears are just about at the wear indicator, I'm sure I could drive them for the rest of the summer, but with NSXPO coming up I'm going to change them. The fronts I probably won't change until the Winter. I have no idea what my alignment is, I have never had the car alligned. That's right 46,000 miles on a 1998 with New Jesrsey roads and no allignment. The car tracks perfectly straight and the tire wear is excelent, so I'm not gonna mess with a good thing. What's even more amazing is I swapped out the springs for Zanardis, and put Koni shocks in. I marked every bolt before I removed them. I put them back exactly, and that's it!! So with all the messing around the allignment is still good and the tire wear is great.

I put on a set of SO-3 s at 78,000 miles. They have 2 track days on them. At 93,000 miles the right rear blew up on I-95. Silly me didn't notice the extreme camber wear on the inside of the tires. The left rear was down to the cord. On went a new set of rears. The car now has 102,000 miles with the original fronts (getting a bit gnarly) and the second set of rears which still look pretty good. I figure another 3000 or so miles and it's time for 4 new ones.

Back