S/C motor prep for Comptech grp buy?

I noticed lots of folks got in on the Comptech group buy, many right here in the Tampabay area.whom among you are preping your car for S/C or are the installers doing it for you. if not what are you having done to the car in preparation for all that added hp and are you buying blocks of dyno time at local shops? I am just curious as I hope folks have not scraped together 'just' enough cash to purchase the charger without forthought on car prep.BTW because I don't know if they still swap out the alternater as part of the install, anyone that has their original for sale after they get their S/C up and tuned straight let me know please.you could use the xtra cash for prep if not included in the price and dyno time for sure.I would just like a spare.
best regards david
P.S. I am already getting requests for n20 on top of brand new S/C installs.please guys injoy your S/C and if after several months you still want it contact me then if I am even up to the task by then. that go fast crack pipe keeps calling your names huh:biggrin:

Bad Carma,
I have a couple of used alternators, both from 92's, left over after the CTSC conversions. Give me a call at 312-719-7233 to discuss what you need.

Bob

What "prep" are you talking about? like changing fluids and stuff? My car has 3K miles on it I am not sure how much prep it needs. But tell me what you are talking about.

TURBO2GO said:
What "prep" are you talking about? like changing fluids and stuff? My car has 3K miles on it I am not sure how much prep it needs. But tell me what you are talking about.

Turbo, nothing to talk about in regards to what I feel needs done on your 'virgin' she is good to go with the break in fluid still in her and maintainence is in spec without doubt. you are a non issue,I was thinking in terms of guys with 12 year old cars and that is another story. lots I would do before install if it was my older ride,mines a 91.
best regards dave
ps I might ask about the fact yours is so new what they do they think should be done when as far as still in break in mode.I wonder if they want you to take it easy on the girl for a few more thou but having never owned an X as new as yours I really dont know what they might want you to do or not. congrats on your new X and charger!

Bob Kenney said:
Bad Carma,
I have a couple of used alternators, both from 92's, left over after the CTSC conversions. Give me a call at 312-719-7233 to discuss what you need.

Bob
Thanks Bob, will do!

BadCarma said:
Turbo, nothing to talk about in regards to what I feel needs done on your 'virgin' she is good to go with the break in fluid still in her and maintainence is in spec without doubt. you are a non issue,I was thinking in terms of guys with 12 year old cars and that is another story. lots I would do before install if it was my older ride,mines a 91.
best regards dave
ps I might ask about the fact yours is so new what they do they think should be done when as far as still in break in mode.I wonder if they want you to take it easy on the girl for a few more thou but having never owned an X as new as yours I really dont know what they might want you to do or not. congrats on your new X and charger!

Well I talked to a few techs that know and they said 3K is enough for the break-in. I probably won't install it until I hit 5K and change the fluids. Which might be about a week after I get it... hehe

That reminds me, does this car come with synthetic fluids or not? if not I am going to swap it all out. My MB had a big stamp on the motor "Mobil 1 only".

I have been tossing around the idea of the CTSC...was talking about it tonight with some people actually. I want reliable, daily driver, power and durability and my '94 NSX has about 106,756 miles on it right now. Anyone who can tell me what I need to do to get the car ready to make the power and be reliable, I welcome your input. Thanks! :)

Meeyatch1 said:
I have been tossing around the idea of the CTSC...was talking about it tonight with some people actually. I want reliable, daily driver, power and durability and my '94 NSX has about 106,756 miles on it right now. Anyone who can tell me what I need to do to get the car ready to make the power and be reliable, I welcome your input. Thanks! :)

I don't know man 106K is a lot to now start supercharging... I am sure it can be done with the right "prep"... but that prep better include some serious freshening... don't forget your tranny now also has 106K on it.

Honestly... unless you are keeping this car forever, I wouldn't do it. This is your daily driver man... you are going to stress it a bit for sure. You are asking the entire drivetrain to handle some 100 more HP. I'd really think hard before I did it.

TURBO2GO said:
I don't know man 106K is a lot to now start supercharging... I am sure it can be done with the right "prep"... but that prep better include some serious freshening... don't forget your tranny now also has 106K on it.

Honestly... unless you are keeping this car forever, I wouldn't do it. This is your daily driver man... you are going to stress it a bit for sure. You are asking the entire drivetrain to handle some 100 more HP. I'd really think hard before I did it.

Well...actually, I am keeping it forever. I cannot imagine myself without it!! LOL!! :D

I have heard of people modding the higher mileage cars, but I know it is more rare. I just do not feel like buying a lower mileage car just to do the CTSC. Quite the dilemma. :(

Meeyatch1 said:
Well...actually, I am keeping it forever. I cannot imagine myself without it!! LOL!! :D

I have heard of people modding the higher mileage cars, but I know it is more rare. I just do not feel like buying a lower mileage car just to do the CTSC. Quite the dilemma. :(

Well its not a cheap mod so I would think really hard. I have been down the same road with a Supra. Thinking back, I should have upgraded the car first. I'd give up on the urge and get something esle to satisfy me... like a better stereo or wheels or something... I think this is not the best idea on a 106K car... but thats just an opinion. Good luck whatever you decide.

Meeyatch1, you can always send it to SOS and have the engine rebuilt and it's almost gonna be like a brand new engine after it's refreshen. You can upgrade it to a 3.3 and it willl still make decent horsepower and it's also reliable since it's NA. If you've the money and willing to wait for awhile you can upgrade to a 3.3 and have them install there new supercharger at the sametime. You'll have the best of both worlds, brand new engine and a supercharger thats gonna make one monsterous car.

I need to ask what it is that's at risk when installing a SC on a high-mileage car, beyond that on a low-mileage car? No mechanical parts on a 100k engine should be any closer to structural failure than those of a brand new engine. There is more wear, yes. An older engine will have increased bearing clearances, increased valve guide clearances, looser rings, older seals and the like, but as long as the oil pressure and compression are still good, what is the risk? The way I see it, FI will increase the wear/mile on any car, and with higher miles, you will be that much closer to wearing out the engine. But if a stock engine can go 350k, and you're still healthy at 100k right now, it doesn't seem there would be any immediate worries. What am I missing? :confused:

TURBO2GO said:
Well its not a cheap mod
You got to be kidding, I thought it must be a pocket change for you:smile:

Meeyatch1 said:

100k miles on NSX is really nothing IMHO. If you are really worried, have a compression check done, just in case. 3.3L~3.8 is also another option you may want to consider.

Check out Doug Hayashi's NSX, already 144k at year 2000, stock internal, probably one of the most tracked NSX:
http://www.nsxfiles.com/NSX_mods.htm

Pic of another NSX.

9919keyes-11.jpg

I had the same questions so I compiled a list of all the info I could and I put it into the top of this thread. There is also a ton of great information from the SC veterans on the board. I'd suggest a read... its quite informative.

New AutoRotor checklist thread

The wait for this CTSC group buy is killing me - mine should have been *installed* by now and it hasn't even shipped... :confused: But, such is life... I'll just have to wait a little longer for Comptech to get some random brackets fabricated from a vendor.

Nice read thanks... I guess I don't have to worry about anything with a new car...

what is an EMS and ACM?

nsxsupra said:
You got to be kidding, I thought it must be a pocket change for you:smile:

Well... no wife, no kids, no family... leaves some change around. This NSX would have been some ugly furniture or 3 months of ice skating lessons for "the kids". :tongue:

Meeyatch1 said:

I can't speak to the new Autoroto SC but the Whipple/Comptech has a very good track record. I have 2 92 NSX, both SCed with WhipplelComptech kits; 1 car I installed myself the other came with it. I knew I wanted more power for the car but like you I did not want to sacrifice reliability. I looked into turbos and SCs and decided SC was closer to what I was looking for. I then began a search for the SC and found a lot of positive feed back on the Comptech. The one discussion that pushed me over the edge in making the decision was with an owner who had put 70,000+ miles on his car since the install with no problems.
I installed the SC just prior to NSXPO 2004 drove approximately 40+ miles to test it; then loaded it down for the trip to XPO. Drove straight through from Chicago to Corning NY and got 29.5 MPG. Drove with the other NSXs all over the area then took it to the Watkins Glenn for the track events. My instructor, who had a 98 NSX, commented that my car seemed to have 100 more HP than his given the way it accelerated especially in the up hill sections of the track. He also felt we could break 150MPH on the back straight which we did in the last session. We then loaded car down with every trinket Pam could find and drove the same car with no maintenance or modification, other than to check fluid levels, straight back to Chicago and again got 29.5 MPG.
The SC has proved to be a great addition to the car with no apparent down side and the new Autorotor/Comptech seems be even more efficient. We meet at Spring Fling last year and I hope to see you again at this years event; if so I would be glad to go over all of this and the car in more detail.

TURBO2GO said:
Well I talked to a few techs that know and they said 3K is enough for the break-in. I probably won't install it until I hit 5K and change the fluids. Which might be about a week after I get it... hehe

That reminds me, does this car come with synthetic fluids or not? if not I am going to swap it all out. My MB had a big stamp on the motor "Mobil 1 only".
The oil (break in fluid) that comes in the car is not synthetic oil as that would inhibit the wear necessary for break in. Owners manual says 10W-30 ... or 5W-30 if in a climate with very low average temperature (overlap on chart where either works is avg temperatures bettween 0 and 33F) and I'm pretty sure they assume regular oil. Honda owners manuals always say 7500 miles or 3750 under "severe conditions." Regardless of the conditions I would recommend every 3000 miles.

Mobile 1 seems highly recommended by most NSXers (myself included). I've heard that there is some desirable (to performance and/or longevity) break in that occurs even after the break in period. Hence I've also heard that going synthetic too early in the engine's life could keep such additional break in from occuring. I'm not sure how much this applies to the NSX engine. Regardless, it is a very well built engine that would run 300k+ miles - even on regular oil (assuming stock, driven spirited on the street, not oil starved). So, running regular oil for the first couple oil changes won't hurt...and would guarantee that it's fully broken in.

TURBO2GO said:

I was ,am unaware that the car would have the MB labeled as such.with that said I am a M1 freak and change it out every 2500 miles which is way above recomendation for the car. but swapping out M1 every 2500 is just a personel hangup and my guess is it is an aftermarket (dealer?) gimmick on your car. BTW after it does come time to choose your given lub what do you like or are going with?
I am really interested in your S/C install choice of oil and other fluids so on cause I think with a motor as fresh as yours that you are going to be way up the curve in terms of WHP,unless you tone her down slight detune.whats your perspective? are you going for max or just average gains?
Best Regards David

I tell you what...after driving home from work last night. Im still amazed how much power the CTSC 6 lb set up makes. The car pulls so hard in every gear. I installed a set of comptech headers on saturday and its night and day. The CTSC NSX is sick, plain and simple. SO much fun and very reliable. Ive driven 4k miles without a single hicup or glitch and spanked many a rides with alot more horsepower.

SaberX said:
The wait for this CTSC group buy is killing me - mine should have been *installed* by now and it hasn't even shipped... :confused: But, such is life... I'll just have to wait a little longer for Comptech to get some random brackets fabricated from a vendor.

I waited 3 months to get mine:wink:

Hey Mike,
so you had the headers put on. What are your thoughts? Did you notice a diff. before and after? Car louder?
Thanks
Mine are sitting in a box in my garage waiting for the ctsc.
I have you to thank for getting me to buy the headers.:biggrin:
Paul

Back