RX7 Owner Turning

I'm currently the owner of a '94 RX7 who's looking at getting out of the rotary world. It's weird starting over in a whole new forum, but I have to say the NSX have always been appealing. I've been thumbing around all of the posts, checking the buying guide/checklist, and really appreciate all of the work others have put in to make this forum such a resource. I would have never made it with the RX7 if it hadn't been for the RX7Forum (that wasn't a cheap plugin BTW.)

On to the point: I'm looking for 93-94 (condition B/C) or 91-92 (condition A). Is this managable at the $35k range? I've read the wonderful posts of people picking up 95s for 30k mi for $35,000, but I'd like to be reasonable (being that I'm excited to start a new project and *slightly* implusive!) Are there any real changes between 91-96 that are of a concern? I know with the RX7 the differences between 93 and the 94/95 were somewhat important, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've included a link to my imagestation album with a few pics of my 7 if your curious.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291366409

------------------
______ ___ _
'94 Mazda RX7 @ 385rwhp
'03 Honda Accord @214rwhp

Hi, welcome to the board. The FAQ has most of what youre looking for, but in a nutshell:

Your price range looks very realistic - the FAQ has a pricing guide so check that out.

The only "big" change from '91-96 was that the 95-96 cars have a targa top, while the 91-94's are hardtops. And if youre looking at a '91-92, check the transmission for "snap ring" range, and for the power window "thingies" to have been fixed/upgraded.

That's the condensed version - good luck in your searching.

Originally posted by JSpec:
I'm looking for 93-94 (condition B/C) or 91-92 (condition A). Is this managable at the $35k range?

Yes, absolutely.

Originally posted by JSpec:
Are there any real changes between 91-96 that are of a concern?

The changes are listed in the FAQ here Timbo pointed out the big change, the NSX-T (removable roof) in '95-96, which accounts for a price "bump" of $6-10K for a '95 over a comparable '94. The fixed roof has more structural rigidity, the NSX-T offers open-air driving. Your choice, depending on what's important to you.

Another significant change is the larger wheels in '94.

Note that 80 percent of the '91 cars were NOT in the snap ring range. And it's not a terminal problem by any means. Read up on it and on the window regulators, as Timbo noted. Good advice.

One other issue is that the timing belt is specified for replacement every 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first, but many owners of low-mileage cars have not yet done this, which is a concern. The water pump is normally replaced at the same time. Together, including parts and labor, you're looking at ~$1200 or so for the service.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 03 February 2003).]

Just curious...why are you wanting to "get out of the rotary world?"
wink.gif

Thanks for the replies, seems like the NSX is far more reliable than the seven. Well, the fact that they're 12 years into production and the seven lasted 3 also says something. Thanks for the pointers!

------------------
______ ___ _
'94 Mazda RX7 @ 385rwhp

I'm jumping out of the rotary world for a few reason...support for one. There's just not a whole lot of support for the 7 anymore. I couldn't image how I would have gotten anything done without the forum, because locally no one knows a thing about RX7s. I end up having to drive hundreds of miles to anyone who I'd want to work on my car. The RX7 just isn't fun to work on anymore, I've done all I wanted to do to it. The tolerance of the rotary is far less than that of the piston driven engine anyhow. I'd like to have a bit of play, being that I'm not all that good at tuning my Power FC as it is.
smile.gif

------------------
______ ___ _
'94 Mazda RX7 @ 385rwhp

No offense is intended to any RX-7 owners, but the last-gen RX-7 had a horrible reputation for reliability, far worse than any other Japanese car.

I have heard that most of them are on their second or third engine.

Too bad, since it was otherwise quite a nice car, and 200 pounds lighter than the NSX.

No offense taken. The 3rd gen RX7 is quite a handfull, and has become more of a moneypit; it's like driving a bomb! After asking the question of known NSX issues, I figured I'd be ignored or flamed. Ask that question on the rx7forum and expect to hear nothing, or get a list of more problems than you'd ever think of. The RX7 can be made somewhat bulletproof (contradictory statement there) with a total cost of ownership less than that of the NSX, but the support has disapeared. Most RX7s are now going on their 4th and 5th owners who don't know how to modify their cars properly. I've managed to stay on my first engine, which is not neccessarily a good thing. It was a great car 3 years ago and I wouldn't trade it for anything (that's a lie), but it's time to move on to something reliable that can be used daily if needed. Here's a small pic for grins.
biggrin.gif

attachment.php

------------------
'94 Mazda RX7 @ 385rwhp

[This message has been edited by JSpec (edited 04 February 2003).]

I like the RX7 quite a bit. I specially like the yellow R1 samples.

Had a couple of good friends who owned them and modded the heck out of them. When running properly, the cars are awesome. Unfortunately, they rarely did run properly.

Most common recurring problem seemed to be loose vaccum hoses that would cut our frequent outings short very quickly.

I came close to getting one years ago, but these same RX7 friends convinced me not to due to the reliability issues.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck in your search.

PHOEN$X: I'm about 15 minutes away fom Auburn, you know someone nearby?

I was looking into the insurance on a '94 NSX and it ends up being cheaper than the RX7. That's always a benefit, and not much of a suprise. I'm assuming being naturally aspirated makes quite a bit of difference, though there's a large gap between sticker prices. I'm looking at picking up one next summer when my tickets fall off, I'm sure by then I might be able to gnab a 95 targa for the low $30s.

------------------
'94 Mazda RX7 @ 385rwhp

[This message has been edited by JSpec (edited 05 February 2003).]

Sure do, if you need someone to go up and do an inspection let me know. I'm sure I'll be needed the same favor when I look for my NSX.

------------------
'94 Mazda RX7 @ 385rwhp

You'll love the NSX- acceleration is about the same (earlier NSX's) although I find the NSX's is more linear. NSX Definitely has more top end- just keeps on revvin'! ...and sounds wayyyy better.
Engine, if maintained, is bullet-proof. Overall you'll find the NSX much more refined. My daily driver '94 Rx-7 has had engine and turbos replaced and all the reliability mods done. Hope it stays in one piece. Welcome to the forum
PS- I hope Mazda makes a 4th gen 2-seater RX7
with the new side-ported rotary.

-'94 RX7 daily driver
-'79 RX7 track car (ported 13b)
-'91 NSX targa conversion

Originally posted by DCNSX:

PS- I hope Mazda makes a 4th gen 2-seater RX7
with the new side-ported rotary.

With the advent of the new RX-8 and the waiting list it has developed, I don't see a 4th gen 7 coming anytime soon. If they do, it would be surprising.

Originally posted by Joel:
With the advent of the new RX-8 and the waiting list it has developed, I don't see a 4th gen 7 coming anytime soon. If they do, it would be surprising.

The possibility was mentioned in the cover article of the new AutoWeek, about the RX-8...

I see the RX-8 as just a way to show off the Renesis engine (10 years in the making) without having to develop much of a sports car around it. I'm sure Mazdaspeed will get their hands on it and throw on a turbo, but it's nowhere near being as refined as the 3rd gen RX7. Though by looking at the sales of the 350Z, I'm sure the "affordable sportcar" is going to be the next big thing...just as SUVs were a few years ago. The 2005 Mustang looks interested, supossedly putting out 400hp in their GT Coupe version. Always good to have competition on the road..
biggrin.gif

------------------
'94 Mazda RX7 @ 385rwhp

Back