Russian invades Ukraine..No threads on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping not to kickoff a political D/R standoff and/or critique of the Obama administration.

I won't make any judgements. I just find it very disturbing. My grandfather is Ukrainian, so it hits close to home a little bit. Plus, Romania (where I'm from..) borders Ukraine.

In any case - those that are closer to the military / intelligence / foreign affairs.. thoughtst, insight?

World opinion is not on Putin's side. The recent vote in the UN security council (on a resolution declaring the upcoming referendum illegal) was vetoed by Russia as expected. But with China abstaining and the 13 other votes all disapproving of the referendum, the message is clear. I know that isn't likely to have much effect but it at least shows a good degree of consensus outside of Russia.

to those in the know what would be the US centric analogy....US invades..............:confused:

I don't think our President is that much of an idiot to invade Russia.....plus he doesn't have the balls to do so anyway.

What I'm asking is what would america have to invade to equal this Ukraine situation...to kinda make it easier to understand...like mexico,Canada,puerto rico..or maybe a state like new mexico or florida..:confused:

Last edited:
What I'm asking is what would america have to invade to equal this Ukraine situation...to kinda make it easier to understand...
Nowhere is really comparable at the moment. Russia has
long standing connections to Ukraine unlike anything that
any other recently-independent country has with the USA.

Other than the past 23 years, Ukraine has been under
some kind of foreign rule since the 14th century.
Its recent history of independence has been rough partly
because of ethnic, linguistic, and political diversity in
the country and also partly from both western Europe
and Russia competing for association with Ukraine.

like mexico
Been there, done that.

I think it is pretty scary. Putin is clearly on a power trip and wants to show the world how tough he is.

I find it amazing how much the public opinion of Russia has changed since the Olympics.

thanks Tom

I sat on way too many cold nights on the Inter-German border (OP-Alpha)trying to help defeat/stop people like Putin to watch all over again the appeasement of a deranged dictator and his delusions of grandeur. While I am by no means calling for all-out combat, NATO needs to really stand strong on this one. Because today it is the Crimea/Ukraine, the next is Latvia and Estonia and maybe Poland.

Let's not forget that Hitler used the Olympic Games to try and get a better world view of Germany right before he kicked off his little campaign that started something called World War 2.

People like Putin do not respond to verbal and written threats or sanctions. Someone needs to bloody this guys nose a little, and if it comes to it the Ukrainians are by no means push overs but they could not without help withstand any kind of long term aggression by Russia. NATO better wake up and start flexing a little muscle and be ready should push come to shove!

Just this old Cold Warriors .02

DocJohn, I am ready to defend New Mexico if I have to! LOL

Last edited:
Putin supports independence (read: joining Russia) for ethnic Russians in Crimea, while denying the same right to the Chechens. He is deranged. God help us all.

I outsource some of our development to the Ukraine and talk to many people there every week. They are all gung-ho and ready to defend their home. I have to plan for the contingency I may lose resources so am trying to stay on top of the situation.

Why do Americans relish taking center stage for being the World Police?

World Police that spends and spends like money grows off the trees.

makes for great puppet movies.

The US is in a tough position. Any really tough sanctions against Putin - could bring retaliation. Like no more US astronauts going to the ISS. We've backed ourselves into a corner where we rely on the Russians for ISS access and we won't have anything for 2-3 years at the least. Major screw-up by the current and former administrations.

In 1954, Nikita Khrushchev, most likely in a vodka fueled stupor, essentially transferred control of Crimea from the USSR to Ukraine which at the time was largely symbolic since Ukraine was part of the USSR. This was done to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the Ukraine joining the Russian empire. The USSR and subsequently Russia has their Black Sea Fleet based out of Sevastopol. It is Russia's only warm water naval port and is home to over 40 vessels with more on the way.

Crimea should never have been transferred to Ukrainian control in the first place. Putin simply fixed Khrushchev's blunder. The odds of him continuing to advance on the Ukraine are about as slim as Ferrari building a reliable car or BMW building a good looking one.

Russia will pull out of Crimea when the USA pulls out of Guantanamo. Actually, when the USA pulls out of Texas, California and Cuba. Putin is smarter, has more balls, and is doing Russia far more good than Obama could ever dream of doing for the USA . That is what being a leader is all about, not all this whining about how the Republicans won't give poor little Barack his way

Last edited:
I don't know much about it, but I thought I read that the majority of the people in the Ukraine want to be part of Russia again?

I don't know much about it, but I thought I read that the majority of the people in the Ukraine want to be part of Russia again?

Definitely not the Ukrainians I've spoke with. Perhaps that's true in regards to the people in the Crimean Peninsula, but I don't think that's true in general.

Nope that's not true. There are so many issues Ukraine faces that I don't know where to start. Crimea has unique geopolitical flavor. Very pro russian indeed and for a valid reasons. After revolution Ukraine was and still is in such an unstable state that it's not surprising to see how easy Putin moved forward on Crimea. Ukrainian army was deliberately weaken since 1991. Most of the assets stolen and sold on black market. The thing that is most frustrating though is that when Ukraine gave up its nuclear power US were one of the parties to guarantee its sovereignty including Crimea.

Now for a moment imagine this: no Crimea invasion. Ukraine gets pro European government and becomes part of EU and NATO. Then let deploy its military anything in Crimea. Putin just couldn't let this happen. But I think he wasn't planning for revolution and hoped ex president Yanukovich would still be his puppet for some time.

I also think Putin will try to play the same card 'save russians' in eastern part of Ukraine. Russian presence is very high there also. Easy to deploy separatists to help play his game. But it's really maybe one two cities/regions very close to the border that may catch up the vibe. All the rest for independent Ukraine. Ukraine as part of European Union. But it will take time and hard work. As it should be. Nothing is free. Freedom especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back