Robber killed with his own gun during robbery

MIRA LOMA - A 24-year-old Costa Mesa man was shot to death when he tried to break into a home Sunday, the Riverside County Sheriff's Department said.

The man has not been publicly identified, pending notification of next of kin.

A woman suspected of helping the man break into a home in the 3100 block of Chardoney Way in Mira Loma Sunday morning was arrested last night.

Amy Schnizel, 30, of Ontario, was arrested at 7:15 p.m. on suspicion of robbery, and may face charges of murder for the death of her alleged accomplice, the Sheriff's Department reported.

At 8:11 a.m. Sunday, deputies responded to a report of shots fired and found the 24-year-old lying dead in the street.

The man and woman had attempted a home invasion robbery at the house, and during a struggle with one of the residents, the man dropped his gun, authorities said.

A resident picked up the gun and shot the robber to death, authorities said.

The Riverside Press-Enterprise reported that a neighbor saw one of the residents come outside and yell, "That's what you get… for breaking into my house."

The neighbor said that a tire on his truck had been shot, and another neighbor's car had bullets through a car window and door.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/shot-home-neighbor-2478264-reported-death

A man who was shot to death during a robbery in Riverside has been identified as Juzell Anthony Poole Jr., 24, of Costa Mesa.

The Riverside Sheriff's Department said that Poole was shot and killed after he and Amy Schnizel, 30, of Ontario, broke into a house in Mira Loma around 8 a.m. Sunday for a home-invasion robbery.

Poole's gun was taken from him during a fight, and he died in the street outside a home in the 3100 block of Chardoney Way.

Schnizel was arrested Sunday night.

Poole had convictions for burglaries in 2004 and 2006, and graduated from Rancho Alamitos High School in Garden Grove in 2002.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/poole-sunday-robbery-2479384-schnizel-home

Suspect's Myspace that the Register readers found

http://www.myspace.com/474185928

Damn good thing he died as he totally lost his "street cred" LOL J/k My motto is you get what you deserve when you try to steal something.

Good for the homeowner, but I will bet some money sniffing attoney is already working on some angle to sue, I certainly hope not.

Scary. This is right in my area where I live.

If someone breaks into my house at night, I would call the cops and stay fortified in my bedroom. Life isn't worth material possesions and I don't know who is on the other side of that door.

However, if that door to my room opens, it's shoot to kill and that person/people is leaving in a body bag. I would call out a warning and not even identify them before dropping them. No mercy when it comes to this sh-t and I don't blame the owner of that house one bit.

It may be that it's someone's father who is desperate to feed his family and has no choice. Doesn't matter. If someone is in your house and you don't know who it is or whether or not they are armed, it's either you or him, and it ain't gonna be me.

Last edited:
If I know the justice system, the homeowner will be in prison for life, and soon :mad:
Lets follow this story and see if I am correct. After all, We are talking about California.
And California is known to have some pretty Phuckin stupid Judges

Last edited:
Scary. This is right in my area where I live.

If someone breaks into my house at night, I would call the cops and stay fortified in my bedroom. Life isn't worth material possesions and I don't know who is on the other side of that door.

However, if that door to my room opens, it's shoot to kill and that person/people is leaving in a body bag. I would call out a warning and not even identify them before dropping them. No mercy when it comes to this sh-t and I don't blame the owner of that house one bit.

It may be that it's someone's father who is desperate to feed his family and has no choice. Doesn't matter. If someone is in your house and you don't know who it is or whether or not they are armed, it's either you or him, and it ain't gonna be me.

I'm with you, but I don't think it was a father trying to feed his family. He has a gun. He can go hunting in the woods for food. I would, if need be.

If I know the justice system, the homeowner will be in prison for life, and soon :mad:
Lets follow this story and see if I am correct. After all, We are talking about California

Unfortunately, you're probably right. The robber was now unarmed and in the street.

Good for the homeowner, but I will bet some money sniffing attoney is already working on some angle to sue, I certainly hope not.

Agreed and this has really caused our country to go down the tubes. The lawyer will probably same some BS about the robber ( but use his full name for sympathy ) was carrying the gun in self defense! Ugh! I hate that crap!

..I'm not convinced that the homeowner will get charged with murder unless someone can provide some real data.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this happened in Florida, the sheriff would shake the homeowner's hand and pose for a picture with him for the paper. No charges would be filed, no lawsuits would ensue.

If this happened in Florida, the sheriff would shake the homeowner's hand and pose for a picture with him for the paper. No charges would be filed, no lawsuits would ensue.

Same thing with Texas probably. Joe Horn shot and killed 2 people that were running away after robbing his next door neighbor's empty house while on the phone with the 911 operator and "got away with it."

It really is too bad this doesn't happen more often. Maybe people would decide that it isn't worth the risk of trying to rob someone's home.

like they say. "An armed society is a polite society" But we cant have that because the police would be out of work, and alot of people would be safer. :mad:

But its usually an uncommon and rare occurrence in cases like these.
i wonder what the actual statistics are on this type of situation over, say, a 5 year period and for the entire u.s. not sure where to locate the data, but it'd be interesting to see what the reality actually is.

" A man who was shot to death during a robbery in Riverside has been identified as Juzell Anthony Poole Jr., 24, of Costa Mesa. "

Seriously? Juzell ??? :cool:

Same thing with Texas probably. Joe Horn shot and killed 2 people that were running away after robbing his next door neighbor's empty house while on the phone with the 911 operator and "got away with it."

It really is too bad this doesn't happen more often. Maybe people would decide that it isn't worth the risk of trying to rob someone's home.

That was Texas though. The laws of the wild west still apply there and are expected.

That was Texas though. The laws of the wild west still apply there and are expected.

And Oklahoma as well. Last year, there was a road rage incident in Tulsa where driver #1 was cut off by unaware driver #2. Driver #1 followed unknowing driver #2 until driver #2 stopped at a park and got out to go for a walk. Driver #1 immediately chased driver #2 around his car and driver #2 got back in his car afraid for his life. Driver #2 tells driver #1 to leave as he has a weapon. Driver #1 continues to pound on car and threaten.

Driver #1 (male in his mid-40s) dies from a gunshot wound. Driver #2 (male in his 60's) is remorseful but safe and alive.

EDIT: fixed driver numbers.

Last edited:
huh, wut?

Ponyboy said:
And Oklahoma as well. Last year, there was a road rage incident in Tulsa where driver #1 was cut off by unaware driver #2. Driver #1 followed unknowing driver #2 until driver #2 stopped at a park and got out to go for a walk. Driver #1 immediately chased driver #2 around his car and driver #2 got back in his car afraid for his life. Driver #2 tells driver #1 to leave as he has a weapon. Driver #2 continues to pound on car and threaten.

Driver #2 (male in his mid-40s) dies from a gunshot wound. Driver #1 (male in his 60's) is remorseful but safe and alive.
Are "driver #1" & "driver #2" mixed up towards the end?!? :confused:

Reprise of what was stated above:

"driver #1 was cut off by unaware driver #2..."
"driver #1 followed unknowing driver #2..."
"driver #2 stopped at a park and got out to go for a walk..."
"driver #1 immediately chased driver driver #2 around his car..."
"driver #2 got back in his car afraid for his life..."
"driver #2 tells driver #1 to leave as he has a weapon..."
"driver #2 continues to pound on car and threaten..."
"driver #2 (male in his mid-40s) dies from a gunshot wound..."
"driver #1 (male in his 60's) is remorseful but safe and alive..."

Instead, did was it "driver #2" who fatally shot (w/ warning & fear for their life) "driver #1"?

Last edited:
Just like the robber in the OP story and the driver #2 in your story both were killed by thier own faults and deserve to get shot.

And Oklahoma as well. Last year, there was a road rage incident in Tulsa where driver #1 was cut off by unaware driver #2. Driver #1 followed unknowing driver #2 until driver #2 stopped at a park and got out to go for a walk. Driver #1 immediately chased driver #2 around his car and driver #2 got back in his car afraid for his life. Driver #2 tells driver #1 to leave as he has a weapon. Driver #2 continues to pound on car and threaten.

Driver #1 (male in his mid-40s) dies from a gunshot wound. Driver #2 (male in his 60's) is remorseful but safe and alive.

swift decision on the part of the authorities...

Thanks for the corrections, makes total sense now! :cool:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070612_1_A1_hConf86238

Link to event described above. The police officer version told to me had a few different points but is almost identical.
That's truly how it should be, not an overbearing grand jury reaching for an indictment, a prosecutor trying to make a career, and a reaching/probing police dept' escalating the incident after-the-fact by filing charges.

Hearing/reading how entangled a lawfully abiding CWP holder can get into a legal mire after something goes down (even if not prosecuted or eventually acquitted, it still can cost tens of thousands of dollars in lawyer fees, court costs, fines, etc'), it often deters many legit & honest individuals from even bothering to go through w/ such (ie. concealing & carrying). It's not always a proverbial walk in the park w/ a CWP (or even home-defense), sadly!

The key for the homeowner, in CA, is they, (bad guy) are inside your home and you are in fear of your life. And this is serious. When the police showed up I would have wet myself (on purpose) and be a nervous wreck saying how afraid I was and in fear of being killed by the bad guy. No macho BS at this point.

So if the bad guy, aka corpse, was already fleeing and had crossed the threshold of the door......potential problem for the homeowner.

Last edited:
Back