Road America...how NOT to take the "kink"

MiamieNeSeX said:
Funny how the guy straightens it out then still wont let the other guy go by..................
What's funny is that the "other guy" who took the video had just e-mailed me the clip just a short while ago and I jump on prime and already see a link to it. The "other guy" is an NSX owner and prime member.

It does look like someone went off track and brought some dirt back with them making the track a bit slippery in that area, but he was offline a bit.

Armando

Hey, do I get royalties or something?!?

That's me in the Spec Miata camera car. It was qualifying so there was no hurry to get by him. We exchanged hand signals a bit then finished the session. Don't be fooled by the video. That shift in the middle of the carousel is at 85 and the data log shows that by the kink I'm at a bit over 105, and he was moving slightly faster. To his credit he didn't panic and do anything abrupt, but if he had reacted a little faster and more decisively he probably could have caught it.

Having visited Road America many times in my youth as a spectator and crew, it was great to finally race there. Winning the pole and the race both days wasn't bad either. ;) OK, it was "only" Midwest Council, but 18-20 other guys, most of whom had raced there before, finished behind me each day. Oh, and my kid brother finished 2nd both days and had me beat Sunday until he let up for a moment.

Last edited:
"Don't be fooled by the video. That shift in the middle of the carousel is at 85 and the data log shows that by the kink I'm at a bit over 105, and he was moving slightly faster".

I think anyone that has ever driven that track will agree that the "kink" is one of the most intimidating corners on any track in the country.

Last edited:
I had to take it down. Our site was approaching the monthly bandwidth limit and this is only the 3rd. Stats show hits from 30 countries, and links from dozens of sites already. Damn, should have put some advertising on that thing!

I'll have it hosted somewhere else when I have the time.

sjs said:
Hey, do I get royalties or something?!?

That's me in the Spec Miata camera car. It was qualifying so there was no hurry to get by him. We exchanged hand signals a bit then finished the session. Don't be fooled by the video. That shift in the middle of the carousel is at 85 and the data log shows that by the kink I'm at a bit over 105, and he was moving slightly faster. To his credit he didn't panic and do anything abrupt, but if he had reacted a little faster and more decisively he probably could have caught it.

Having visited Road America many times in my youth as a spectator and crew, it was great to finally race there. Winning the pole and the race both days wasn't bad either. ;) OK, it was "only" Midwest Council, but 18-20 other guys, most of whom had raced there before, finished behind me each day. Oh, and my kid brother finished 2nd both days and had me beat Sunday until he let up for a moment.

SJS what's your best lap time at RA in the Spec Miata ?

NSX 3.0 said:
SJS what's your best lap time at RA in the Spec Miata ?

Do I have to tell? :redface: OK, according to my data logger it was 2:48.95 during the ITA race on Saturday (running full SM specs). But it was my first time there, not to mention SO hot that afternoon the poor little 1.6 Miata engine was even weaker than usual, which is huge at Road America. The guy who finished 3rd both days was a more than a second off what he's run before.

What times do people run in stock NSXs during non-race track days?

sjs said:
Do I have to tell? :redface: OK, according to my data logger it was 2:48.95 during the ITA race on Saturday (running full SM specs). But it was my first time there, not to mention SO hot that afternoon the poor little 1.6 Miata engine was even weaker than usual, which is huge at Road America. The guy who finished 3rd both days was a more than a second off what he's run before.

What times do people run in stock NSXs during non-race track days?

Advanced- low 2.40's...I think T Bell should be in the high 30's the next event. Not bad for the little Miata good luck in your future races.

I pulled a 1:56.660 in an 800hp Jaguar XJ220 there. 195mph on the straight after turn 3, insane. Through the kink exit speed was ~155. Unfortunately no video.

John McCain Racing said:
That video brings back memories! My first spin in the NSX was Turn 10 at Sebring with Chin.:wink:

Same here - first lap. Bead broke loose from rim as I turned in, spun and ruined the tire. Drove 2 hours home on the inflatable spare. No fun!!

NSX 3.0 said:
Advanced- low 2.40's...I think T Bell should be in the high 30's the next event. Not bad for the little Miata good luck in your future races.

PD Cunningham ran high 2:20's as did Mike Bergman both with race cars. Nick Zylstra is the quickest in a street legal NSX there at about 2:35. I am trying to get the title with an almost stock NSX running 15/16 stock wheels with R compounds, stock brakes, stock NA motor, full interior stock headers, stock cat etc. I am at about 2:39 right now. The car is a blast to drive, I am just missing the straightline speeds. I can only get it to 140mph, so I lose out to the Z06's, but I can actually gain on them from turn 5 to turn 14. I lose out down the main straight, and the straight into 5. The straight into 12,(kink, and s-curves @ 140mph) is mostly who has the biggest balls, which most but not all of the Z06 guys must have smaller ones than me there! :biggrin:

having never driven RA I'm kind of curious. What triggered that spin? It appears as if there is a small dip in that apex and that possibly he lifted?

someone.. anyone?? bueller?

x

Thanks for the google link.

My rookie eyes show the classice early apex and lift approach to a spin. He is very, very lucky.

Also - he isn't close to the apex on the previous sweeper(?) and might have been paying attention to the guy in the mirrors. I like to call it "pulling a Raikkonen"

Back