rims being sent to Atlanta... exaust too

I bought my NSX in Boston about 5 months ago. I took a 1 way flight from Atl to Bos, picked up the car, without seeing it , and drove back home with 1 15inch in my trunk. The guy with the remaining 3 tires and exaust wants $300.00 to send it to me here in Atlanta. That is not including the OEM exaust that has about 20,000 miles on it 1991. I really want the whole thing, tires and exaust, but it does not seem realistic.:rolleyes: If you can figure a better way to get it here please indulge me. I can get a stock set here in Atl for $280.00 w/o tires. If someone needs an oem exaust mabey we can work out some sort of a deal. There is just no point on him kicking the 3 tires to the curb and an exaust b/c it is too expensive for me to have shipped. I can sell it from his house, but I have got the 4th tire here in Atlanta. That is my alternate option to send it to him. No scratches, warped.........but that is another story. Help me out guys!! Im not trying to be a pain in the ass, I just have never had to deal with something like this before. I will trade for some stuff too. Hotel room for 1 night somewhere up north and a tour of where ever it may be. Let me know.

Your kickass friend in the south:biggrin: ,
Dean

2-Saw said:
I bought my NSX in Boston about 5 months ago. I took a 1 way flight from Atl to Bos, picked up the car, without seeing it , and drove back home with 1 15inch in my trunk. The guy with the remaining 3 tires and exaust wants $300.00 to send it to me here in Atlanta. That is not including the OEM exaust that has about 20,000 miles on it 1991. I really want the whole thing, tires and exaust, but it does not seem realistic.:rolleyes: If you can figure a better way to get it here please indulge me. I can get a stock set here in Atl for $280.00 w/o tires. If someone needs an oem exaust mabey we can work out some sort of a deal. There is just no point on him kicking the 3 tires to the curb and an exaust b/c it is too expensive for me to have shipped. I can sell it from his house, but I have got the 4th tire here in Atlanta. That is my alternate option to send it to him. No scratches, warped.........but that is another story. Help me out guys!! Im not trying to be a pain in the ass, I just have never had to deal with something like this before. I will trade for some stuff too. Hotel room for 1 night somewhere up north and a tour of where ever it may be. Let me know.

Your kickass friend in the south:biggrin: ,
Dean

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Its either too early in the morning, or im retarded or I have no clue what in the world your asking?

The Kid said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Its either too early in the morning, or im retarded or I have no clue what in the world your asking?

I think the original poster flew to boston and purchased a 91 nsx. He put 1 of the front wheels in the trunk and apparently the seller agreed to ship him the other 3 tires and the original exhaust. The problem is the shipping costs aren't matching up to the cost of what the wheels are worth. IMO, the shipping costs do seem a little high.

sjones said:
I think the original poster flew to boston and purchased a 91 nsx. He put 1 of the front wheels in the trunk and apparently the seller agreed to ship him the other 3 tires and the original exhaust. The problem is the shipping costs aren't matching up to the cost of what the wheels are worth. IMO, the shipping costs do seem a little high.

Thanks for the translation:biggrin: Looks like someone needs a new set of VOLK's:wink:

Sorry, it was late when I wrote last night. You are on the money sjones. I guess a better question is does anyone want an oem exaust for free. I have not decided on the tires at this point.

thats far too expensive to ship tires/rims. all he needs to do is cut out some cardboard circles and tape them really well over the rims on each side to protect them (try to keep the tape from actually contacting the rims). write the address on the cardboard and wheel em on into USPS. they'll take them just like that. i think it cost me $25/rim w/tire mounted last time i did that (that was for four 17" OZ rims)

i'm tempted on the exhaust (im local to boston), my HKS has developed a leak and i have an inspection in april, but i just cant go back to stock :). hopefully i can find someplace to fix the leak.

robr said:
...my HKS has developed a leak and i have an inspection in april, but i just cant go back to stock :). hopefully i can find someplace to fix the leak.

My old HKS develpoed a leak and then the entire canister blew open at the seam. I couldn't believe how poorly constructed it was, but it did sound very good with the Taitec straight pipes.

DocL said:
My old HKS develpoed a leak and then the entire canister blew open at the seam. I couldn't believe how poorly constructed it was, but it did sound very good with the Taitec straight pipes.

You're absolutely right on the sound (comptech straight pipes, headers, intake here). It's become pretty obnoxious with the leak though. I hadn't really noticed but everyone who gets in my car has made a comment asking if it's louder now.

What did you replace it with and how does it compare to the HKS? I never see HKS mentioned in the exhaust sound-offs.

robr said:
You're absolutely right on the sound (comptech straight pipes, headers, intake here). It's become pretty obnoxious with the leak though. I hadn't really noticed but everyone who gets in my car has made a comment asking if it's louder now.

What did you replace it with and how does it compare to the HKS? I never see HKS mentioned in the exhaust sound-offs.

Not that I want to hijack this thread, but I'm sure Dean won't mind. :wink:

I replaced my HKS with a JGTC Parallel and I put the cats back. The JGTC sounds 1000% better than the HKS.

1000% better? even with the cats? granted better means different things to different people but if we both really liked the HKS sound with test pipes, then perhaps i will like the JGTC too :).

sorry dean!!

robr said:
1000% better? even with the cats? granted better means different things to different people but if we both really liked the HKS sound with test pipes, then perhaps i will like the JGTC too :).

sorry dean!!

I'm planning a trip up the NE in June with my NSX, if you can hold until then you can take a listen/drive in my car. But, since we both like the sound and had similar set-up with the HKS I don't think you'll be let down. But, you will need to put the cats back on as the JGTC was intolerable without them on.

For my curiosity, how long have you been running the HKS without the cats? I put 35,000 miles on my HKS with the cats, and then within 7,500 without them the HKS fell apart. I don't think the HKS was able to handle the increase in pressure and heat.

I just listened to the clips on the SoS site... sounds VERY nice... and that was with cats?!? It's a PITA to get my car to pass emissions every two years without cats, it's always a close call. The inspection stations have no idea what to look for and never notice no cats, but it sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to meet the required levels. Putting the cats on would get rid of that headache.

I bought the car with 11,000 miles on it with no cats back in 1997 (the cats were in a box in the trunk, I think they were pulled off within the first couple thousand miles). I now have 114,000 miles on the car, the leak started within the last 1-2K miles.

Related to this topic - the guy I bought from also had the 15/16 rims replaced with OEM 16/17 and had to ship me the 15/16 (I did the same thing as you Dean, flew from Boston to Chicago without ever having seen the car and drove it home). It took me almost a year of chasing him after prepaying him $100 when I picked the car up. He was about as cheap as they come, so I doubt he paid more than $100 for shipping. I couldn't even get the guy to knock $50 off the price because of bad trunk and hatch struts, then after giving him a check for $43K, we ate at his restaurant and he gave us a free appetizer (perhaps it was two free appetizers, Ken Sax probably remembers :)). Gee, thanks :P.

robr said:
we ate at his restaurant and he gave us a free appetizer

That's funny.

just as an update, turns out the ol' HKS is fine (even after 15 years of abuse in chicago and new england climates)... it's the old comptech (DC) headers that have developed a leak.

Back