Review of ScienceofSpeedSupercharger w/ Laminova Intercooler System

cptnsx, I know you love the twin carbon clutch, but how intrusive is the extra noise it gives? It it loud and clanky? Or is it subtle in a behind the scenes kind of way? I'm considering it, but not if it adds a lot of extra cabin noise...

cptnsx, I know you love the twin carbon clutch, but how intrusive is the extra noise it gives? It it loud and clanky? Or is it subtle in a behind the scenes kind of way? I'm considering it, but not if it adds a lot of extra cabin noise...

In other words, is it fit to bring women around in the NSX and not have them get upset for loud noises interrupting their ragged brain waves. :biggrin:

I bet you can't wait for winter. Do you think you can break into the 10's and trap 125-130?

Of course with some sticky tires.

I was pleasantly surprised to see you comment about how the Supercharger changed the sound of the exhaust note.

It does wonder for the GTO. One can really hear and feel the power.

Does your NSX sound something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaRGwtQ9tG0&feature=related

I went back last Nov when it was around 70F and ran a 12.1 @ 120.5. My 60 foot was 2.06x something. I had my gtech pro on the car as well and saw that shifts were taking around .35 seconds to complete. At sea level and temp around 50-60F with slicks I think mid 11s maybe even low 11s if you speed shift is possible.

I don't think 10s are possible or 125-130 trap speeds without additional power like say 40-50rwhp. Even the Z06 is not a bone stock 10s car. Sure a few have gotten it there but you are taking about great great drivers (Ranger), on fast tracks (MIR) great weather, slicks ---- and maybe some things like very little gas (air filter, h/e, tune ---- some people define stock differently --- especially to claim a milestone).

Sticky street tires, sub 2.0 60 foot, good clutch, standard weight reduction, 70F or lower air temps, and sea level I would say a SOS intercooled car is around 119-122 and mid to high 11s.

The supercharger adds more volume to the sound (making it slighter deeper and fuller), it does not fundamentally change it --- maybe one of those x-pipe exhausts (plus those Love Fab headers) could come closer to mimic that clip above.

No the only extra noise is when you are at idle with the clutch in. Its a whirling hissing mechanical noise ...... that's kind of mean like a deep hissing snake (a hissing King Cobra). I like it but if you don't have the clutch in at idle then there is no sound. It will be there as you take off but that doesn't last long. I drive a lot with my windows down..... I think with the windows up the sound is barely audible.

The clutch is smooth and except for the additional holding power I forget its aftermarket. I had the old comptech and the old RPS and you never forget those are aftermarket hard as hell clutches.

Do u have the OS Giken Differential to handle the power increases?

My transmission seals was leaking and found while my car was in for the supercharger install. I had the transmission rebuilt to type-R spec and I have a type-R R&P. The word is the transmission is good up to 550rwhp maybe even 600rwhp. Above that you risk third gear. The 5 speed is stronger than the 6 speed. Cryo treatment can get you to mid 600 I think.

No real issues. I can spin the tires in first even after I launch. But its a quick spin of tires (half a second - when the temp is normal not 100-110 like now in Vegas -- full traction now because of the heat lower HP). I have Falken 452 so maybe a better tire would solve that. The traction out of turns corners is great as long as you are progressive with the throttle.

No real issues. I can spin the tires in first even after I launch. But its a quick spin of tires (half a second - when the temp is normal not 100-110 like now in Vegas -- full traction now because of the heat lower HP). I have Falken 452 so maybe a better tire would solve that. The traction out of turns corners is great as long as you are progressive with the throttle.

Awesome. That's exactly the info that I needed to gauge if I need the OS Giken now, which I won't based on what you've provided here.

I'm running 275 wide tires in the rear and always the stickier DOT legal tires like Kumho XS and later Dunlop Z1.

Temps are still in the 90s. However I see iat at 185-200 (145-160) with temps in the 105-110 range. With temps in the lower 90s, I see iat at 170-185 (130-145).

Remember that I've determined that 40-45 of this is heat soak since the starting point is 135-140 with ambient temp around 95 and this is pretty consistent.

You will see how I built mine on the link below. This is shown with my whipple 2.3L I now have a 2.9L whipple. this was very easy to build.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90136

Wow, I didn't think it was plausible for the NSX engine to turn anything over a 2.6 positive displacement blower.

What are your thoughts about the difference between "KENNE BELL / AUTOROTOR vs. LYSHOLM FEATURE COMPARISON" below?:

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/AUTOROTORvsLYSHOLM.pdf

Any pics of the custom build? Is SOS planning to release a targa-compliant version?

Our intercooler works fine on the targa NSX, and we have a billet aluminum brace for targa NSX that accomodates the increased height. It is not however possible to put the engine cover in the engine bay. Most of our targa customers running the intercooler simply put the top in the trunk (wrapping it first in a heavy blanket).

regards,
-- Chris

Our intercooler works fine on the targa NSX, and we have a billet aluminum brace for targa NSX that accomodates the increased height. It is not however possible to put the engine cover in the engine bay. Most of our targa customers running the intercooler simply put the top in the trunk (wrapping it first in a heavy blanket).

regards,
-- Chris

I dont even wrap mine since it never slids around in there.

Back