request for help/education

I am in the market for a used NSX -- my preferred year is '94. NSXs are pretty rare in Denver, probably fewer than 20 in all of Colorado. I have driven two so far, in my quest. One of them was so ratty it deserves no further comment. The other looked gorgeous, however the engine sounded very rough to me -- nearly, but not quite, as rough as the first ratty one. Here is where familiarity, or lack thereof, is important.

I'm a mechanical engineer by training. I am aware that a 90 degree V6 is not innately balanced on all four of its primary and secondary forces and couples. I also know that above idle, the roughness disappears (actually it is absorbed by the motor mounts) and is of no consequence. I also know, intellectually, that the lost motion devices in the VTEC mechanism can be noisy, and can sound like loose valves. But intellectual knowledge and seat-of-the-pants experience are two very different things. My former Integra GSR did NOT have a noisy valve train, but its VTEC design is several years newer and had eight fewer valves.

What bothered me most about both examples was the gear box. My old Integra had the sweetest, smoothest shifting 5-speed I have ever experienced -- even smoother than the 61 Porsche 356B I had as a kid. The Integra also had to handle 100 lbs-ft of torque less than the NSX. Both NSX gear boxes were notchy and both had very weak to non-existent third gear syncros. I got chewed out by the forum Nazi for starting a new thread on that topic a few months ago. What I got out of that exchange, however, was that the gearbox's should have strong syncros, and should be 'smooth,' but I still have no idea of how smooth.

I would be deeply indebted if some NSX owner in Colorado, or passing through Colorado would have some time to stop and talk with me for a while and help me sort through some of these things, and just generally shoot the breeze about NSXs in general I'll buy lunch. I can meet you just about anywhere at your convenience. TIA

Mark

Mark i would like to welcome you to the forum on behalf of everyone here.This is a great place to get a education on the nsx as this is the undisputed best forum for the Acura Nsx. I recommend you start with the FAQ section and read thru it as it is very detailed and explains alot.Then use the search option here to find answers to questions which you may have which arent covered in the FAQ. Then if the first two methods dont turn up any results please feel free to post your questions in the correct forum so that they maybe addressed, discussed and hopefully answered.

Bailey

mskrotzki said:
NSXs are pretty rare in Denver, probably fewer than 20 in all of Colorado.
The number of NSXs in all of Colorado is probably around seven times that figure, or 140. That's an extrapolation based on the number of members of the NSX Club of America (roughly 1/8 of the number of NSXs in the country) and the fact that the club has 18 members in Colorado.

Hope you can hook up with an owner in your area - there are several on NSXprime. That's a good way to try driving a good one. (Although it's quite possible that any particular car you try might have subtle problems that need addressing, such as worn shocks, worn hub selector gears, etc.)

As for NSX shopping, I suggest you do a nationwide search using this and other websites, and when you find a car you're serious about, have it checked out by a local owner and/or (preferably AND) an NSX-experienced dealer or independent mechanic. Don't just limit yourself to ones in your geographic area.

Good luck.

mskrotzki said:

What bothered me most about both examples was the gear box. My old Integra had the sweetest, smoothest shifting 5-speed I have ever experienced -- even smoother than the 61 Porsche 356B I had as a kid.

Mark, my 97 has a 6 speed that is very notchy when cold... especially shifting into 2nd and 6th. When it warms up, its possibly one of the smoothest gearshifts i've ever tried. Was the NSX warm or cold when you drove it?

Good luck

I drove each one of them in excess of 10 miles, and pushed them quite hard. I'm sure they were quite warm. Actually the 2 - 3 shift is what bothered me the most. The only way you made the shift either up or down was by complete double cluthing with perfect rev matching. Since I only had 20 miles experience, I failed more than once matching.

Even earlier in my wild and wooly youth I had a Fiat 500 -- 2 cylinder air cooled with a crash box four speed transmission -- no sycronizers whatsoever. Got real good at that, never missed a shift. Practice makes perfect!

Thanks for all the replies. Nsxtacy -- I have well over 100 NSXs from all over the country listed in my database. I am committed to traveling to where ever I must to check out my final choices. I will certainly ask for a Prime member to make a preliminary inspection and then will travel to make my own. It is an added expense, but IMHO a worthwile investment.

Right now I'm just trying to get more touchy-feely experience with NSXs known to be in proper condition. It is the only way I know to be able to make a valid decision.

There is a Black -- I don't know what year -- I've seen passing me in the opposite direction on the Denver Boulder turnpike a couple of times that appears -- in the 2 seconds I saw it -- to be a supurb example.

This is a hell of an adventure.

Thanks again

Mark

mskrotzki said:
Actually the 2 - 3 shift is what bothered me the most.
Then there is a strong probability that the car(s) you drove had a worn hub selector, causing it to crunch when upshifting into third. This is not normal, but wear on the hub selector and synchro is a fairly common problem; it requires the transmission to be opened up to replace those gear parts, and it is not inexpensive to do so. I'm not sure whether NSX owners consciously avoid this repair because they don't want to pay for it, or don't even notice that their transmissions are not shifting smoothly and think that they're supposed to crunch. I suspect it's more the latter than the former.

On a well-maintained NSX, a 2 - 3 upshift should be just as smooth as any other NSX shift. There is no need to double clutch or anything like that.

Try driving a newer, low mileage NSX to see what it should shift like. Or, if you get to Chicago (after winter is over), you can try mine; I just had those transmission parts replaced recently (thank you, Acura of Brookfield), and now it's smooth as butter.

mskrotzki said:
There is a Black -- I don't know what year -- I've seen passing me in the opposite direction on the Denver Boulder turnpike a couple of times that appears -- in the 2 seconds I saw it -- to be a supurb example.
I bet that's Bruce. He lives in Boulder and is in charge of all the track event instructors for the NSX Club of America.

here's a quick lead for you; i just (sadly) parted with my nsx and bought a jaguar xjr as a daily driver. My nsx was too much of a garage queen--just didnt get to drive her enough, and i have two little kids which made it even more difficult to make time.

the dealer still has the nsx---aristocrat motors in Kansas city. You can call and ask for Alex at 913 677 3300. My Nsx has 21k miles--blk on blk, 91. Not in snaprange. I was second owner, had her for two years, put 4500miles on her during that time. Added bonus is tubi exhaust, the only mod ever done. everything else is bone stock. I still have the stock exhaust in my garage as well. Also have a car cover(factory).

good luck, youll love the nsx, i know i loved and still miss mine.

Such a deal

Originally posted by NXStasy
Or, if you get to Chicago (after winter is over), you can try mine; I just had those transmission parts replaced recently (thank you, Acura of Brookfield), and now it's smooth as butter.
Talk about an offer you can't refuse! Actually my wife and I get to Chicago at least twice a year. We are season ticket holders to the Chicago Lyric Opera. We were just there a few weeks ago, and will return in February :( deep in the Chicago winter.

Currently there are no other NSXs for sale in what we call the front range -- the 150 mile region from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs. However, I will continue to look and experience. There is one in LA I am most interested in, but I need to have more under my belt before deciding to spend this kind of money.

Thanks to all, and keep up the great suggestions.

Mark

Back