Replica NSX-R Questions

Browsing this site for a bit, I have only seen white NSX-R replicas and on other websites, have come across white NSX-R's (NA2).
1. Did the NSX-R (authentic) in japan only come in white or did it come in other colors such as berlina black?
2. Were the headlights painted the body color or was it painted white?
3. Besides the hood and rear wing, were there any other Carbon Fiber Parts on it?
4. Was the NSX-R NA2 a coupe or a targa top?
5. Was the engine bay painted body color or was it berlina black like the side mirrors ( I read something about this hear, but the guy never got a response)

Sorry for the questions, I am kind of new to the NSX, and want to get soon and also want to do a Type-R conversion, minus the coupe top like Anil did. Thanks

There are other people that know more than I about the NA2 NSX-R, but I'll give it a try...

1) Yes, the NSX-R came in other colors besides white.
2) I'm not sure about the headlight colors, but I'm pretty sure there were other colors besides white.
3) Yes, there were other parts made of carbon fiber. Trunk lid, outside mirror housings, diffuser...
4) It was a coupe.
5) I've heard the engine bay was black.

alright, my plan now is too look at a berlina Black NA2 NSX-T, do the type-R conversion slowly and sooner or later get the comptech SC for it or the slight possibility of a turbo because there are no good shops for any auto stuff that I know of near Daytona. Also one stupid question, what is that red knob right by the steering wheel for, is it kinda like the turbo-boost button like in K.I.T.T? Joking aside, it kinda seems like it would be used in an emergency.

There are other people that know more than I about the NA2 NSX-R, but I'll give it a try...

1) Yes, the NSX-R came in other colors besides white.
2) I'm not sure about the headlight colors, but I'm pretty sure there were other colors besides white.
3) Yes, there were other parts made of carbon fiber. Trunk lid, outside mirror housings, diffuser...
4) It was a coupe.
5) I've heard the engine bay was black.

Hi Steve. I think all the type-R's had white headlights even though the body was a different color. Also the mirrors and diffuser weren't CF.

Hi Steve. I think all the type-R's had white headlights even though the body was a different color. Also the mirrors and diffuser weren't CF.

Hi Mike, I wasn't sure about the diffuser being CF. I believe you're right. But there was a thread just a week or so ago that had a closeup photo of the NSX-R side mirror that showed the CF... perhaps it was just an overlay. Vance and John (Scorp) were talking about it.

As far as the headlights, I remember some time ago, a thread of the annual Japan NSX gathering (at Susuka?) had a photo of a black NSX-R (or a very dark colored one) that I don't remember it having white headlights. I think I would have remembered if the headlights were white... have you seen Erick's car lately? :biggrin:

I surely am not an expert on the differences. I tried to find both of those photos but was unsuccessfull... maybe someone else can find them.

EDIT: Here's the thread about the mirror... looks like you were right.

Last edited:
After that thread, some new questions:
1. NSX-R wheels only in white or available in other colors?
2. NSX-R has different ECU, can that be bought?
3. Can the NSX 3.2 Motor be blueprinted easily by locals or does Honda/Acura have to do it?

Also that red button, what is it for?

The NSX-R headlights only come in white and not painted to match the body. You can have the normal silver ones too, but they don't offer other colors. However you can buy the color matched ones from Route-KS.

The NSX-R headlights only come in white and not painted to match the body. You can have the normal silver ones too, but they don't offer other colors. However you can buy the color matched ones from Route-KS.

<---- Or you can just have yours painted the bodycolor :wink: .

3. Can the NSX 3.2 Motor be blueprinted easily by locals or does Honda/Acura have to do it?

not to be an ass or be ignorant, but what is the red button for, its kinda bugging me....

I have a NA2 NSX-R ECU, want to buy it?:biggrin:

in this thread i started about this, which made comtec paint his headlights :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: , Vance Hu stated that bodycolored headlights was a OEM option...

Last edited:
Yeah I want to do that too hehe.. When the time's right I'm gonna use your technique. :smile:

If you can wait a little longer i was able to recover some of the disassembly pics and i will be posting them.

in this thread i started about this, which mad comtec paint his headlights :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: , Vance Hu stated that bodycolored headlights was a OEM option...

Yep, and i appreciate it :biggrin:

Last edited:
You can never do a full 100% NSX-R conversion, you can get close to it by replacing the parts.

Approximate cost
Suspension: $4000.00 by the time you get a new set and have it installed.
Hood and Spoiler Replica: $3500 DF; approximate $7000 with Prodcar.
Seats: Approximately $12000.00 - $14000.00 new, that is if you can find it.
Aero Package: $900.00
ECU: $3800.00
Sway and Chassis bars: $500.00
Emblems and Engine plate: $1000.00
Mesh Engine Cover: $1400.00
NSX-R Gauge Clutster: $3300.00
NSX-R Wheels: $4000.00 used

and there are more stuff to get.

Think hard and good luck.

You can never do a full 100% NSX-R conversion, you can get close to it by replacing the parts.

Approximate cost
Suspension: $4000.00 by the time you get a new set and have it installed.
Hood and Spoiler Replica: $3500 DF; approximate $7000 with Prodcar.
Seats: Approximately $12000.00 - $14000.00 new, that is if you can find it.
Aero Package: $900.00
ECU: $3800.00
Sway and Chassis bars: $500.00
Emblems and Engine plate: $1000.00
Mesh Engine Cover: $1400.00
NSX-R Gauge Clutster: $3300.00
NSX-R Wheels: $4000.00 used

and there are more stuff to get.

Think hard and good luck.

Wow.... :eek: ~$34000 just to look like one?

I'd like to find a white 93 with intention or doing this but it might be a little over the top... prob be cheaper to buy one from Japan and get it over here :biggrin:

I think a conversion and CF hood/ rear spoiler will do for me.

JDM fenders too!! There are alot of nsx-r replicas on here but the cars still have the US spec fenders on :frown: . I would also buy a coupe nsx-r never came in a targa. There is a berlina black type-r in a post with the washi grey wheels, looks really good. In Japan you can special order the nsx-r with the hid headlights or the championship nsx-r lights. My opinion if the car isn't white I would just use Us spec headlights. Best of luck. Frank

JDM fenders too!! There are alot of nsx-r replicas on here but the cars still have the US spec fenders on :frown: . I would also buy a coupe nsx-r never came in a targa. There is a berlina black type-r in a post with the washi grey wheels, looks really good. In Japan you can special order the nsx-r with the hid headlights or the championship nsx-r lights. My opinion if the car isn't white I would just use Us spec headlights. Best of luck. Frank

Agreed. To go that far, and leave the USDM sidemarkers IMO is like giving up right before the finish line :smile:

Back