Replacing sills - help needed

Anyone have any experience with removing and replacing the door sills in an NA1 car? I bought a set of billet sills and was going to do it myself, but I thought I check to see what to expect, how to do it, and get any tips on making the job easiest? I will take the name plate from the current sill and put it on top of the billet sill. Thanks for any help.

-Wick

Pull gently from the long edge closest to the car's interior. Start at one end and work your way to the other. There are about 5 or 6 snaps that hold the sill in place. On the opposite long (exterior) edge there are tabs on the plastic sill that slide into slots in the door sill frame so don't pull from the exterior edge or you'll risk breaking the tabs.

The short edges on my sills also had what seemed like a bit of putty on them.

To remove the VIN plate, gently pry it with a small screwdriver from the ends working down the long edges - it's held in place with pins and washers which will pop off the pins given enough force (you can see them on the rear). I'd remove the sill plate first before tackling the VIN plate which will allow you to get some flex in the plastic.

I've just gone through this exercise installing CF door sills to replace the OEM plastic ones.

Same here :smile:

I just installed a set of the GT-one carbon fiber sills and putting them on was real easy.
You can just pull of the OEM sill plates off, there are held by the same kind of clips that hold your A-pillar covers. Just don't force anything.
The VIN plates are held with two pins and washers each. Those washers can be really tight and some of mine broke when I removed them with a flat-tipped screwdriver. I then reattached them to the CF-plates with double-sided tape. Also, the CF-plates were also attached with double sided tape. Just make sure you clean the sill first.
It's an easy job for anyone.

Here you have a picture of my new carbon fiber door sills with the NSX VIN-plate attached. Picture is not too good, was a little dark already. But still, I think the sill-plate makes a nice addition to the NSX.

CF-Sill1.JPG

Thanks lunchman and MvM for the detailed input on doing this job... greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the NA1 reference... just a habit when referencing my NSX for anything in this Forum section. I am aware of the generally differences between NA1 and NA2, and that it certainly wouldn't affect the door sills.

-Wick

Here you have a picture of my new carbon fiber door sills with the NSX VIN-plate attached. Picture is not too good, was a little dark already. But still, I think the sill-plate makes a nice addition to the NSX.

CF-Sill1.JPG

Wow... I'm diggin' that. Looks Awesome *

These are the CF sills from Bert from Thailand on my 91. They don't stand out as well on black as they do on red and I've clearly got some cleaning to do while the car's put away for the winter. :redface:

Attachments

• DSCN2651_m.jpg
    DSCN2651_m.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 106
Back