Replacement for Yokohama Advan AD08Rs?

I'm currently running AD08Rs at all 4 corners, but I need new rear tires for this season.

Looking at Tire Rack, I just saw that Yokohama must have discontinued the AD08R in the size I need (255/35/18). Any idea what other comparable tire options I have? I'm leaning towards the Dunlop Direzza IIIs.

Why not step up to the 265/35R18? That's what I am running.

Why not step up to the 265/35R18? That's what I am running.

My rear wheels are 18x9 so I'd prefer to keep them at 255/35/18. The tire specs are also as close to the stock 17" tire diameter (255/40/17) as you can get.

I called Tire Rack and apparently, Yokohama released a replacement called the AD08R-200 which for some reason is not listed on Tire Rack's website but is available in 255/35/18. However, it is considerably more expensive than the Direzza IIIs ($313 vs $248) and I can't figure out why.

Though I'm loathed to do it, I may go with the Direzza IIIs in the rear and complete the matched set when the fronts are due to be replaced.

My rear wheels are 18x9 so I'd prefer to keep them at 255/35/18.

Makes sense. I'd be cautious mixing brands. Differences in rubber compound and tread design may lead to undesirable handling especially if you track or drive hard.

Last edited:
I'd call discount tire and get some matching.

Love my ad08r's

Decided to stay matched and ordered a pair of AD08R-200s from Tire Rack. I haven't cut a single corner on this car, didn't want to start with something as important as tires.

They just got delivered to my local tire garage and will be mounted in the next day or so.

I called Tire Rack and apparently, Yokohama released a replacement called the AD08R-200 which for some reason is not listed on Tire Rack's website but is available in 255/35/18. However, it is considerably more expensive than the Direzza IIIs ($313 vs $248) and I can't figure out why.
The Yokohama was always more expensive than the Dunlops when the AD08R came out and the Z11 Dunlop, the Dunlop was the equal tyre in all tyre tests and real world driving I have a set of Z11's and love them on the track

The Yokohama was always more expensive than the Dunlops when the AD08R came out and the Z11 Dunlop, the Dunlop was the equal tyre in all tyre tests and real world driving I have a set of Z11's and love them on the track

Agreed, I had the original Star Specs on my older car and loved them. But I found my receipt for the last pair of AD08Rs for the rear wheels and they cost me $250/tire in 2015, so the price gap has widened dramatically. No idea why Yokohama hiked the price up so much between versions.

Also been meaning to ask you guys - how long have your rear tires lasted? I know the AD08Rs have a 180 treadwear rating and that the NSX chews through rear tires so I shouldn't expect much, but I only got 7k miles out of this last pair. They were never tracked or showed any signs of irregular wear so I was hoping to get closer to 10k miles out of them. To give you an idea of how I drive, my front tires still have just under 6/32" on them and they're 2k miles older.

^^^ and I think the treadwear rating has changed lately to 200

Back