repairing a salvage??????

i have access to the parts necessary for a mild front damage nsx and was wondering if paying someone to align the frame and do the front bodywork is more complicated on an nsx vs. any other car? aside from the parts, is repairing one that much more expensive? any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Yes, it's an all aluminum monocoque...aluminum has a lower melting point than steel and has a tendency to break when you try to bend things back. You should be looking for a shop experienced in repairing aluminum frames.

goldlifter said:
i have access to the parts necessary for a mild front damage nsx and was wondering if paying someone to align the frame and do the front bodywork is more complicated on an nsx vs. any other car? aside from the parts, is repairing one that much more expensive? any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks
If you don't already know the answers to your questions, then you should not buy the car.

Don't you wonder why the car was totalled if it only had "mild front damage"?

If the car were worth repairing, don't you wonder why the seller would just do that before selling it?

:rolleyes:...

Start out with a soda can. Crush it "lightly" and then try to restore it back so it appears as though you never crushed it. Repairing aluminum can be that hard.

nsxtasy said:
\Don't you wonder why the car was totalled if it only had "mild front damage"?

In his defense, the sheer cost of OEM NSX replacement parts can often write-off the car from the insurance company's perspective. For the wise cantrell full kits and such and locating used parts in the secondary market can really bring down the repair cost. But of course this may not be the case for this car.

satan_srv said:
In his defense, the sheer cost of OEM NSX replacement parts can often write-off the car from the insurance company's perspective. For the wise cantrell full kits and such and locating used parts in the secondary market can really bring down the repair cost. But of course this may not be the case for this car.

Assuming that all the car needs is the skins. Even using factory parts from Acura will not total a car if you are replacing the skins. A fender may cost 2k, a headlight cover is 300, hood maybe a grand. Fine. But the inner structure is where the bucks will really start to add up. And this is why cars are "totalled". Also I think it would be very hard to "clip" a front end on an NSX. So one is left with hours of repairing inner structure made from aluminum. Not easy, even for a pro. Fender, headlight, hood no problem. Headlight assembly pushed back and ripped out of the inner structure crushing in the rad support, big problem.

Last edited:
satan_srv said:

FYI Insurance companies are well aware of the availablity of used (LKQ) parts and have great resources for locating them.
In addition the major salvage auction companies track to whom they sell salvage vehicles to and Insurance companies tap this database to find the used parts they need. Ahh computers and the internet!

Last edited:
pbassjo said:
FYI Insurance companies are well aware of the availablity of used (LKQ) parts and have great resources for locating them.
In addition the major salvage auction companies track to whom they sell salvage vehicles to and Insurance companies tap this database to find the used parts they need. Ahh computers and the internet!

I've been in a few accidents in different cars and every quote i've ever been given has been for brand new parts...never used, second hand parts. Sometimes I've skipped my deductible by using a used part, but the insurance company has always given me new stuff...maybe thats just State Farm's way though...and maybe thats why they're one of the leaders in the industry! :)

fine :p anyways I have a book of the cost of the aluminum frame pieces if you need to order them..now that stuff is not cheap and I'm not so sure they sell in the secondary market..anyway I'm done talking out of my ass now but I thought most quotes were based on new parts

Joel, I'm sorry. I did not mean to offend you.

It's very kind of you to offer the use of your parts book with this fellow.

pbassjo said:
Joel, I'm sorry. I did not mean to offend you.

It's very kind of you to offer the use of your parts book with this fellow.

what? I'm not offended nor was I offerring up the use of my part book. He can get those prices from any body shop it's not like I have something they don't! :p Don't you work/run a bodyshop?

Well I just heard that Allstate Insurance reserves the right to use used parts on any car they insure and there is nothing the owner can say about it. Now for us with NSXs, we may do better than most simply due to the limited availability of used NSX parts - but I may begin looking for a new insurance carrier for my three cars due to Allstate's position.

Any thoughts?

Cairo94507 said:
Well I just heard that Allstate Insurance reserves the right to use used parts on any car they insure and there is nothing the owner can say about it. Now for us with NSXs, we may do better than most simply due to the limited availability of used NSX parts - but I may begin looking for a new insurance carrier for my three cars due to Allstate's position.

Any thoughts?

All the parts on my NSX are currently used - why would I care if they sourced parts "at least as good" as the parts that were damaged? I know some people want the highest possible settlement so that they can come out ahead on the repairs or replace with aftermarket stuff but I am not sure if that is going to help the industry or the consumers in the long run.

If it keeps your rates down and there are no other issues with the used parts - I wouldn't have a problem with it. Especially with a car like the NSX where the mfg. tollerances were so low.

matteni said:
All the parts on my NSX are currently used - why would I care if they sourced parts "at least as good" as the parts that were damaged? I know some people want the highest possible settlement so that they can come out ahead on the repairs or replace with aftermarket stuff but I am not sure if that is going to help the industry or the consumers in the long run.

If it keeps your rates down and there are no other issues with the used parts - I wouldn't have a problem with it. Especially with a car like the NSX where the mfg. tollerances were so low.

I would not have a problem with accepting used parts if it lowered my rates. Point is, I have NEVER in 20 years of insuring a vehicle seen my rates go down because of myself or others using used parts. I will probably wait my whole life and never get a letter saying "your rates have decreased".

Actually State Farm gave me a rebate check a couple of years ago for about $130 on a $930 premium on my Acura CL which I thought was pretty cool. Of course the follow year our area got hit by a hail storm that did about 20 million in damage on State Farm accounts (my car was like $2500 in damage, think golf ball). Our rates went up almost $200 after that. Good thing I didn't have my NSX then. That would have been ugly...

goldlifter said:
My understanding of the NSX frame and unibody construction is there are different sections of the car made with differnet alloys specifically so it can be aligned when manufactured and repaired if bent. Honda has put out a very comprehensive manual on repairing the car, so find a shop that is certified to do the work and trust their judgement if the car can be repaired. I agree with steveny that it is the crush zones and inner fender area around the radiator that will be very expensive to repair. It can all be done for enough money, or time and skill. Definetly get it inspected before you buy, know what you are getting into.

How much do you guys think it will cost/worth for this salvaged title NSX ?
its obvious where the damage is, btw its a 1995 with 31k miles. From the auction description, Runs and drives. I have no plans of purchasing it, I have access to these insurance auctions, and can buy them if i wanted. I'm trying to get a opinions from you guru's.

getimage.aspx

getimage.aspx

getimage.aspx

sgvnsxrated said:
How much do you guys think it will cost/worth for this salvaged title NSX ?
its obvious where the damage is, btw its a 1995 with 31k miles. From the auction description, Runs and drives. I have no plans of purchasing it, I have access to these insurance auctions, and can buy them if i wanted. I'm trying to get a opinions from you guru's.
The same answer posted above applies to your question too. Namely:

nsxtasy said:
If you don't already know the answers to your questions, then you should not buy the car.

Don't you wonder why the car was totalled if it only had "mild front damage"?

If the car were worth repairing, don't you wonder why the seller would just do that before selling it?

:rolleyes:...

Back