1 1/4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
2 cups shredded coconut
5 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 2/3 cups coconut milk
7/8 cup water
salt to taste

1 Heat the coconut in a dry wok, stirring continuously until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
2 Using a blender or a food processor, liquidize the shallots, garlic, chilies, ginger, and lemon grass to a thick paste.
3 Grind the coriander, fennel, cumin and nutmeg.
4 Using the wok, fry the shallot paste in a little oil for a few minutes. Add the ground coriander, fennel, cumin and nutmeg; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring continuously. Add beef; cook over a medium heat for a further 3 to 4 minutes, or until meat is browned.
5 Stir in sugar, coconut, cloves, cinnamon stick, coconut milk , and water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer until most of the liquid has gone and the meat is tender (about 1 hour). Season with salt to taste.

Serve over rice or noodles. Worked pretty well. If you like spicy, Use hot Chile Oil instead of vegetable oil. Easy on the cinnamon.

haha, awesome. Always wondered how to make that after having it at Penang... mmmmmmm... Roti Cani *drool*

I've just finished breakfast, and seeing this recipe has started my mouth watering. cruel! ;) I gotta pass this recipe to my chef sister. :D

Beef Rendang is food for the gods. i'll never forget the first time i had it... *drool*... with the pita bread... *drools all over keyboard*
Best Malaysian dish available. :D

I spent about 6 months in Malaysia and this was one of my favorite dishes. Have not had it since. I think I will try to whip this up soon.

Back