Removing Zanardi shift knob

I need some help with removing this Zanardi shift knob. Do I need to remove the boot to get it off? I have read the wiki but I haven't been able to "pinch the clip and slide it down" and wasn't sure if this shift knob was different. Anyone have any pics of how this goes on/comes off?
zanardi shift knob.jpg

Thanks guys. So I got this shift knob off and was planning on putting an OEM knob on there, but I guess the Zanardi boot is not compatible with the OEM knob? So then I remove the console to look at the boot and it (along with the coin tray) is glued onto the console...?

I am assuming this isn't stock and it normally screws onto the console?
boot1.jpgboot2.jpg

I recommend leaving the existing boot in place and using the existing boot. Gluing the boot on that console could not have been easy.

The stock knob requires the chromed plastic retainer that is also zip-tied within the boot.

You should try and sell your Zanardi knob to somebody with a stock knob and get their existing chrome retainer as part of the deal. If not, then you will also have to buy the stock boot as well and recover the stock chrome retainer.

Dali did make a billet boot retainer that was awesome as the chromed plastic one would wear and chip, causing a nasty tactile feedback loop. I do have the very last one sold after Dali was liquidated by its new owner (Not for sale).

Note: make sure you thread the zip tie "outside in" so the excess goes into the inner diameter, instead of the normal outside diameter. This is how the factory did it and if you don't do it that way then it will have a pointy tip that quickly rubs through the boot and/or just be super annoying. There is a hole inside the retainer to facilitate the "backward" zip tie and you'll have to be a little creative to get it to work with the Zanardi zip tie.

Yes, it is normal for an aftermarket console to not have holes. It is an extremely difficult part to make and the precision screw holes are just near impossible to do without scale and a big budget. Ol' Tamoske was able to do it superbly in CF, but it turned out to be very expensive and he ended up scamming a bunch of NSXers.

I also recommend you buy up an OEM console and lid, they will be worth a small fortune when they are NLA, currently, they sell for ~$500.

What we really need is a CNC version that is now possible with all the cool scanning tools available today. That would be amazing.

Last edited:
I also recommend you buy up an OEM console and lid, they will be worth a small fortune when they are NLA, currently, they sell for ~$500.

Thanks for all the info Drew, I appreciate it. Since I am converting back to an OEM console, I decided to leave it all together and will sell the double-din console, Zanardi knob, boot, and coin tray all together. When you say "buy a lid" I wasn't planning on doing that. Are you referring to the lid over the cupholders? I'm confused as to why I would need that as well?

The ashtray lid was likely painted to match the console.

It is unlikely that you would be able to make it match your new OEM console...

...so you will need a new one.

Back