Removing flock from engine cover

Has anyone tried removing the flock from the engine cover? I'm trying to strip it down to the bare plastic and am having limited success with acetone. I've tried Goof Off and this other spray on adhesive remover with no luck, those don't even help. But letting acetone soak into the flock for about 10 minutes allows me to scrape it off with a putty knife to a certain extent. The acetone also does not appear to harm the plastic or the rubber seal.

The end result is this kinda fuzzy plastic. I know I can sand it smoother afterward but I'd like to know if there's a better chemical solvent I can use. Here's a picture:

engine_cover2.jpg

I used one of those random orbit palm-sized sanders and it only took about 15 minutes to get the surface smoothed out.

Viper Driver what do you do after you sanded out the surface? Photos?

I've sanded it. Didn't take long. However the plastic is fibre reinforced, sanding through the plastic will cause the fibres to start to show. I did this, so I could use the cover as a pattern to make a carbon fibre one.

coolnsx said:
Viper Driver what do you do after you sanded out the surface? Photos?

I made a "custom" engine cover out of it with a mesh opening in the center. It turned out pretty good! (I don't have any photos of it here at work to upload, though :( )

I used a flat razor to get rid of the fuzz and then wet sanded the surface until it was very smooth.

I like the random orbital idea but I think I would still use a flat razor something like this:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77475

I use a different one that Griots used to sell which uses 1" razors. It is quick and makes less of a mess than a sander alone.

Good Luck.

Back